Bubby and Snards Politics thread

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Bubby and Snards Politics thread

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri May 23, 2014 13:51

I really like the way this thread ended, on a light note with a little self-deprecating humor, but a buddy of mine here suggested I respond to this charge. I don't really think I need to, but what the heck. The story's kind of interesting and maybe it should be set out somewhere ...
psparky27 wrote:Like you did in your previous one of which you was an admin. Sounds like your racism got you in a bit of bother there and you migrated over here.

Now Sparky, I don't know exactly what came up when you googled "Snardbafulator" and found my last name, but you surely didn't see that I was an admin. I've never been an admin anywhere. I was a moderator on an IRC channel. If you know anything at all about IRC (which is doubtful), you'd know that channel mods are a dime-a-dozen. It was on freenode, which is a London-based IRC network to support the open source software community. Wikipedia uses it for their help chat and that's how I discovered it, and the sad, dying, troll-infested philosophy channel I helped revive. Freenode is dedicated to open, vigorous, opinionated discussion, but it has as Terms of Service which prohibits hate speech -- which makes sense given UK law.

And I'm totally down with that. I may be a Yank, but I'm not a free speech purist. Racist, homophobic, sexist and other derogatory epithets are not conducive to genuine discussion and my role was to boot and siteban malefactors, which I did. But the trolls on IRC are quite virulent. Sparky, you are as a dewy-eyed babe compared to these sorts of trolls. The channel became infested with a crew from a hardcore racist website whose name I shall not mention to prevent google search hits linking it to the Nest, and their stated goal was to chase off not only moderators, but also freenode admin. They did this through DDoS attacks (I had to reconfigure my router for a dynamic IP), botnet attacks on the channels where we're swarmed with attackers who keep coming in waves, and finally, DOXing -- document drops of not only people's real names, but anything about the person they can dredge up and then grotesquely distort. I was hardly the only victim. But after enough physical threats which referenced my neighborhood, I simply had enough of it. I left because I couldn't stomach the nonstop abuse.

So the "bit of bother" had to do with racism for sure, Sparky.

Their racism.

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Fri May 23, 2014 14:39

Snardbafulator wrote:I really like the way this thread ended, on a light note with a little self-deprecating humor, but a buddy of mine here suggested I respond to this charge. I don't really think I need to, but what the heck. The story's kind of interesting and maybe it should be set out somewhere ...
psparky27 wrote:Like you did in your previous one of which you was an admin. Sounds like your racism got you in a bit of bother there and you migrated over here.

Now Sparky, I don't know exactly what came up when you googled "Snardbafulator" and found my last name, but you surely didn't see that I was an admin. I've never been an admin anywhere. I was a moderator on an IRC channel. If you know anything at all about IRC (which is doubtful), you'd know that channel mods are a dime-a-dozen. It was on freenode, which is a London-based IRC network to support the open source software community. Wikipedia uses it for their help chat and that's how I discovered it, and the sad, dying, troll-infested philosophy channel I helped revive. Freenode is dedicated to open, vigorous, opinionated discussion, but it has as Terms of Service which prohibits hate speech -- which makes sense given UK law.

Yes yes of course ;)

You revived it very well by the looks of it......I hear them calling you right now.

Fly little man ..fly !

And I'm totally down with that. I may be a Yank, but I'm not a free speech purist. Racist, homophobic, sexist and other derogatory epithets are not conducive to genuine discussion and my role was to boot and siteban malefactors, which I did. But the trolls on IRC are quite virulent. Sparky, you are as a dewy-eyed babe compared to these sorts of trolls. The channel became infested with a crew from a hardcore racist website whose name I shall not mention to prevent google search hits linking it to the Nest, and their stated goal was to chase off not only moderators, but also freenode admin. They did this through DDoS attacks (I had to reconfigure my router for a dynamic IP), botnet attacks on the channels where we're swarmed with attackers who keep coming in waves, and finally, DOXing -- document drops of not only people's real names, but anything about the person they can dredge up and then grotesquely distort. I was hardly the only victim. But after enough physical threats which referenced my neighborhood, I simply had enough of it. I left because I couldn't stomach the nonstop abuse.

So the "bit of bother" had to do with racism for sure, Sparky.

Their racism.

Bob

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Fri May 23, 2014 15:00

Hmmm well if you was advised by an on-line "friend" to reply then why not.

I love the attempt of a put down saying there are better trolls out there. There is and lots and lots but you see I see myself more as argumentative or the devils advocate .... you may even say anti bully or elitist. If someone calls me a kvnt then bullies like worm (who incidentally is a far better troll than myself) I will reply. It is a forum and it is here for many reasons.

The funny outcome for me is bubby think I am BSi...I am sure he still does..... any-ways! If you are racist or not from the posts of yours I read, is a matter on opinion. You correctly pointed out (via a very long and windy... maybe whining) that you was the victim and had to leave and defend yourself.

Now I hope that you wont be a hypocrite for a second time and keep reading this ! Well you can read it but if you reply you will of course have to give a good reason why that you are not a man of your word :)

peace out brother ! :8:

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri May 23, 2014 15:35

psparky27 wrote:Hmmm well if you was advised by an on-line "friend" to reply then why not.

I thanked him for his support but told him that I wouldn't, actually. I thought the thread ended on a good note and I wouldn't (and don't) think anyone would take that accusation seriously.

But you know ... sometimes people do change their mind :shock:
I love the attempt of a put down saying there are better trolls out there. There is and lots and lots but you see I see myself more as argumentative or the devils advocate .... you may even say anti bully or elitist. If someone calls me a kvnt then bullies like worm (who incidentally is a far better troll than myself) I will reply. It is a forum and it is here for many reasons.

I was actually paying you a compliment, Sparky. You may act trollishly sometimes, but you're not really a troll. A troll is someone with no reason to be at a place save disruptiveness, and you're an honest-to-goodness Cardiacs fan with a longer history than many. Dumping my last name was really wrong (the only reason I responded in this thread was to ram that point home), but it's really very small potatoes compared to things that genuine trolls engage with.
The funny outcome for me is bubby think I am BSi...I am sure he still does..... any-ways!

Bubby's a pretty smart guy and I strongly doubt he thinks that, Sparky. For you to be BSi, you'd have to have shown a talent for mimicry, and you've never sounded like anyone save psparky27. I mean, you have enough trouble with quoting and correct spelling. Would you really want to make the truly obnoxious effort to CaPiTaLiZe EvErY oThEr LeTtEr? Nahh ...

Hey ... maybe I'm BSi ::twisted:
If you are racist or not from the posts of yours I read, is a matter on opinion.

No, Sparky, frankly it isn't. 2+2=4 isn't a matter of opinion. That I'm not racist isn't, either.
You correctly pointed out (via a very long and windy... maybe whining) that you was the victim and had to leave and defend yourself.

That you thought I sounded whiny is a matter of opinion and you're more than entitled.
Now I hope that you wont be a hypocrite for a second time and keep reading this ! Well you can read it but if you reply you will of course have to give a good reason why that you are not a man of your word :)

You're not on the twit list because, at least for this moment, you're no longer pissing me off.
peace out brother ! :8:

Visualize whirled peas ...

Bob

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Fri May 23, 2014 15:49

hypocrite !

Its not that I cant spell, more I cant type :D I know that is why someone else left ...

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri May 23, 2014 15:59

psparky27 wrote:hypocrite !

Nahh ... just bored and procrastinating on finishing a reply to Mr. Minnow in the real politics thread 8) Saying I put you in the twit list wasn't exactly like swearing out a deposition :o
Its not that I cant spell, more I cant type :D I know that is why someone else left ...

Don't you use an OS with an automatic spell checker? It's standard on Windows ...

Bob

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Fri May 23, 2014 16:13

Snardbafulator wrote:...finishing a reply to Mr. Minnow in the real politics thread

It's the 'Fleetingly Amusing' thread...

:|

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri May 23, 2014 16:19

Batesy wrote:
Snardbafulator wrote:...finishing a reply to Mr. Minnow in the real politics thread

It's the 'Fleetingly Amusing' thread...

:|

Hey ... talk to Worms. He's the one who brought up Scottish independence and he started the thread :eeeek:

More seriously, threads tend to evolve organically. The politics discussion (which a large number of people chimed in) grew out, in perfectly natural fashion, of a link to a politics quiz.

I only called it "the real politics thread" to contrast it to this one.

Because whatever this thread is, despite the header it surely isn't a politics thread.

Bob

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Fri May 23, 2014 16:41

Snardbafulator wrote:
psparky27 wrote:hypocrite !

Nahh ... just bored and procrastinating on finishing a reply to Mr. Minnow in the real politics thread 8) Saying I put you in the twit list wasn't exactly like swearing out a deposition :o

Don't you use an OS with an automatic spell checker? It's standard on Windows ...

Bob

It was not that you put me in the cool list more that you said you will never read anything I write again !

No auto spell checker when I log into this :( not sure why but to be honest I lived with someone whose parents are both famous authors. Maths person me :8:

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri May 23, 2014 16:50

psparky27 wrote:It was not that you put me in the cool list more that you said you will never read anything I write again !

I changed my mind?
No auto spell checker when I log into this :( not sure why but to be honest I lived with someone whose parents are both famous authors. Maths person me :8:

Damn ... I'd embarrass myself nearly every message if I didn't have the good ol' Windows spell checker which works in every program. Of course it's totally context-insensitive and doesn't catch homonym or grammar mistakes (let alone recent coinages) but it's hugely convenient.

Touch typing's an awesome skill. I never thought I'd ever pick it up (like most of my peers, I slept through the typing class they made us take with manual typewriters in eighth grade) and did all my college papers without being able to touch type.

I just decided I liked to post and next thing I knew, I could type blindfolded ...

Bob

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 15:37

Snardbafulator wrote:
For you to be BSi, you'd have to have shown a talent for mimicry, and you've never sounded like anyone save psparky27. I mean, you have enough trouble with quoting and correct spelling. Would you really want to make the truly obnoxious effort to CaPiTaLiZe EvErY oThEr LeTtEr? Nahh ...

Bob

I managed to get one of these :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200616580673188&set=a.10200574932112000.1073741826.1119915643&type=1&theater

But the photo comments are interesting? Do you think We have a copy cat or just maybe.....