Any interest in a CD swap?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Any interest in a CD swap?

Postby Snardbafulator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:53

Monkton wrote:And is anyone else a little less than excited about the McClintlock Sphere exclusive? ;) xM

Ask bellyeyed, dude. He said any tune named "Snardbafulator" has to be good :8: Or ask Trouser, who told me he's going to whip up a feature about my music for his blog. Not just, you know, snowman or SaltyJon, who are prog fans and both really liked my stuff. Or Sterbus or eadric, likewise. Or any of the other people who likened my stuff to Canterbury rock.

Oh and I listened to your CD, Monkton. Also bellyeyed's, both while I was burning. There's some really good stuff on both that I'm happy to own. More reactions to come ...

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:47

Snardbafulator wrote:If I were you I'd go with what's behind Door Number 1 ::D

Bob

If you were me, Bob, you'd be wondering why some people can't answer a simple question with an even simpler 'yes' or 'no'.

Giddy

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:50

Monkton wrote:Hey Giddy, whats the Acoustic Ladyland track called? And is anyone else a little less than excited about the McClintlock Sphere exclusive? ;) xM

It's called 'Sport Mode', from the album 'Living With A Tiger'.

I think that's the track I missed from my track-listing. What a dope.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 13:19

Giddy wrote:
Snardbafulator wrote:If I were you I'd go with what's behind Door Number 1 ::D

Bob

If you were me, Bob, you'd be wondering why some people can't answer a simple question with an even simpler 'yes' or 'no'.

I guess I'll never fully master the nuances of communicating with English people ...

Dude, Monkton just this minute slammed my music precisely because he read the implications of what you just asked me "simply."

So I got a little defensive and self-justifying. And I gave you the option for a do-over, because I don't want anybody thinking that I, you know, cheated them out of anything.

Bob

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 14:57

I see. It's odd that Monkton should make you feel a little defensive yet it's me that's on the receiving end of your diatribe. I thought we Brits / Americans had put all that 'friendly fire' stuff behind us??!

Giddy

PS. English people? How very dare you. :wink:

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 16:09

Giddy wrote:I see. It's odd that Monkton should make you feel a little defensive yet it's me that's on the receiving end of your diatribe. I thought we Brits / Americans had put all that 'friendly fire' stuff behind us??!

Was that a diatribe? Oh my goodness ...

Giddy wrote:PS. English people? How very dare you. :wink:

No no no. This is not your problem. This is totally my problem. I post on a board with English people and as an American, sometimes I just don't get the nuances right. I didn't read that Monkton post until after I initially posted. It just seemed that ... you know ... (trying to sound as un-diatribey as I can) .... maybe you were being a bit ... critical ... that I was mailing my own stuff instead of a mix CD.

Or maybe, as you say, you were merely asking a yes-no question which I read into.

In which case, I just got a little defensive because I'm a bit sensitive about my music.

Which is, again, totally my own issue. At the risk of, you know, overexplaining myself again.

Bob

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 16:23

Okay but, seriously, you've got to stop with this 'English' thing. Use British instead (unless you're talking about a nation that is really crap at all of the sports it invents, in which case England / English is correct).

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 16:39

Giddy wrote:Okay but, seriously, you've got to stop with this 'English' thing. Use British instead (unless you're talking about a nation that is really crap at all of the sports it invents, in which case England / English is correct).

Right right right. The nation as opposed to the people, gotcha. And I should say British in this context anyway, because bellyeyed lives in Ireland and is apparently Irish to boot. And hey ... just be thankful you're not part of a nation that invents sports that more resemble a cross between a corporate motivational retreat and a cold war-era military field operation.

Bob

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue Feb 01, 2011 16:54

Snardbafulator wrote:I guess I'll never fully master the nuances of communicating with people ...

Fixed. :)

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Wed Feb 02, 2011 02:30

Snardbafulator wrote:
Giddy wrote:Okay but, seriously, you've got to stop with this 'English' thing. Use British instead (unless you're talking about a nation that is really crap at all of the sports it invents, in which case England / English is correct).

Right right right. The nation as opposed to the people, gotcha. And I should say British in this context anyway, because bellyeyed lives in Ireland and is apparently Irish to boot. And hey ... just be thankful you're not part of a nation that invents sports that more resemble a cross between a corporate motivational retreat and a cold war-era military field operation.

Bob

irish?...il have you know my father was a zulu warrior who met my mother,a egyptian princess on the foothills of mt fuji :)
seriously,british/ireland! i dont get it
anyway back to the music,its still gona be new stuff and who knows,we might like it..and if we dont,god help you bob :D
im not going to say anymore after this...except for..

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re:

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Feb 02, 2011 02:47

Made Of Worms wrote:
Snardbafulator wrote:I guess I'll never fully master the nuances of communicating with people ...

Fixed. :)

Ahh, well ... there's always my cat.

Bob

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Feb 02, 2011 06:19

bellyeyed wrote:irish?...il have you know my father was a zulu warrior who met my mother,a egyptian princess on the foothills of mt fuji :)
seriously,british/ireland! i dont get it

Aww, geez, I've got to stop sticking my American nose into these ethnic conflicts.

bellyeyed wrote:anyway back to the music,its still gona be new stuff and who knows,we might like it..and if we dont,god help you bob :D

You know, I freakin' can't stand Windows. I just lost a whole two grafs I wrote on your CD ...

Anyway, I have no doubt you'll appreciate my CD fine, belly. I thought yours had some great stuff on it, and I can honestly say that I really like (as opposed to just appreciate) about half of it, especially all those metal / prog metal tunes from track 13 to 17. Of course there was some stuff on there I didn't like so much, but there were a lot of surprises and the whole thing's listenable all the way through. Monkton was just yankin' my crank, but hey, I've heard his CD, too, and while there are a couple really good things in there (especially "Whistling Past The Graveyard") he also threw on a bunch of ... noise experiments. Which is, you know, great! I dig avant-garde and I'm happy to have them in my collection at this point. But it also gives me confidence that the last thing I need to do, really, is to lose sleep over the quality of music on my CD in relative terms ...

Bob

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Wed Feb 02, 2011 13:29

[quote="snardbarfulator"Ask bellyeyed, dude. He said any tune named "Snardbafulator" has to be good][/quote]

I'm not actually questioning you're talents in any way Bob. I've listened to most of the MCLS youtube clips and to be fair, musically, theres alot going on and given the right bunch of musicians i've no doubt could be interpreted into something i would find thoroughly thrilling in a live environment. I however cannot stand the lofi midi sounds at all at all, and seriously, i'm never gonna stick it on in the car or play it when the gang come round for beers. Thats never going to work for me. I'd almost rather have the midi files themselves so i can funk about wedging them through a variety of synths and softies but i sort of doubt you're integrity as an artist would allow that sort of compromise :) And truly, i'd quite like a snapshot into whats influenced you over the years. I've certainly enjoyed some of the artists you've flagged up on the board. I love Ruins for example but had never followed up Yoshida's other projects til your post the other day, i've no idea what Allen Holdsworth does or sounds like and a bit of obscure NY Avant Jazz could hardly go amiss. I'm sure we all love Naked City in this pond. I also find reading your meticulous deconstructions of everybodies posts on the whole rather entertaining but that takes up enough time as it is without throwing my oar in on matters that at best are entirely subjective. The how to count in swing thing was particularly illuminating however, for a guy who started to really struggle musically post grade 5. We do Bob, come from totally opposite poles, but they happen to to very very long poles that arc at the tops and possibly nearly touch at the tips. Its great that you love Harry Partch for example. Me to, but i also find myself almost pathologically drawn to the outsider and the amateur hence a passion for Cardew, a genius musically with no preconcieved concepts of what a musician HAS to be or be capable of, and i'm hoping a little of this, dare i say it, flexibility, can be percieved in the mix CD. Music and sound is about listening, which you claim to do, but we still don't all necessarily hear the same thing................ xM
last one out turn off the lights.

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Wed Feb 02, 2011 13:32

Monkton wrote:quote="snardbarfulator"Ask bellyeyed, dude. He said any tune named "Snardbafulator" has to be good

Damn bloomin quote box! Note to self - check spelling and PREVIEW PREVIEW PREVIEW! xM
last one out turn off the lights.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Feb 02, 2011 23:22

Monkton wrote:
Monkton wrote:quote="snardbarfulator"Ask bellyeyed, dude. He said any tune named "Snardbafulator" has to be good

Damn bloomin quote box! Note to self - check spelling and PREVIEW PREVIEW PREVIEW! xM

Dude, that's the simplest thing in the world to fix. Just click on Edit (which is right next to Quote) and you're back into the post and can change whatever you need to change. You won't even get a "Last edited on such-and-such a date and time" inserted if nobody's responded to it yet.

Bob