Any interest in a CD swap?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Any interest in a CD swap?

Postby Snardbafulator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 01:03

Monkton wrote:Oh, and how come i can't get my quotes to say "Snard wrote" " Trouserpress wrote" etc? What am i missing?

xM

The easiest way to learn that is to look at the post you just quoted. In the brackets, you'll note that it doesn't just say quote, it says quote="Snardbafulator" or quote="Trouserpress" (I'm leaving out the brackets to prevent the message here from displaying it). It'll do that automatically if you quote the entire message (which is why you haven't noticed it). But if you want to go line by line, you'll need to write the word quote, the names in quotes and an = in front as above (in brackets of course), and end the quoted passage with /quote (in brackets as well), and you'll have it.

Now I hope I haven't permanently confused you the way I did a few other blokes attempting to meticulously explain the meter to "Take Five!"

Off to dinner. Cheers,

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Tue Jan 18, 2011 01:34

Snardbafulator wrote:
Now I hope I haven't permanently confused you the way I did a few other blokes

Nope, i fink i got it now......

xM
last one out turn off the lights.

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Tue Jan 18, 2011 19:02

i got pheel,t.press and monktons cds yest,was working late so listened to them this morning.first impressions as follows-
pheel,track 2 is awesome[is the rest of his stuff like this?],really like 3 & 8[will look em up] 7[fantastic voice]19[great tune]best of the rest-4,9,10,18,in fact the only ones i can say i didnt really like is 5,6 &12
trouserpress,highlights-1,3,4,8,10,11,13[really like this one] & 16[heard em years ago but the song i heard didnt grab me,this did,time to re-evaluate my opinion] track 5,love this band already. the rest are perfectly listenable and i can say there wasnt anyone i didnt like,guess i must like waffly prog and tuneless shite :) havnt listened to the bonus prog yet
monkton,really like 1,3,10,11,13,16. 6 & 9 have endless novelty value and il be playing em to anyone who will listen,esp 9[i must have shot a gallon :D brilliant] again,there wasnt anyone i didnt like and i think 7 & 8 are gona grow on me,cheers for the sticker as well.
im not going to say anymore after this...except for..

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Thu Jan 20, 2011 21:20

finally got around to listening to the bonus prog cd and....well i quite liked it cept for 8[guitarist must have got repetitive strain disorder playing those 2 notes] an 14[considering the body of work he has,there has to be a better example of it somewhere,either that or hes just plain crap :) ] standout tracks were 2[more aggressive sounding than i thought] 4,9[best on cd]10 &12.
these need a few more plays-3,5and 7[muppets sing along groove prog? id like to see that subgenre listed on progarchives :D ]cheers,a good listen all in all

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 16:28

It's a bleedin' DISGRACE that I've been so absent from this thread for the past couple of weeks. Work suddenly became absolutely nuts and pretty much everything outside of that (in my little world, at least) ground to a halt. My apologies.

Thanks all for the CDs that you've sent. I've re-recorded mine this morning and will be posting tomorrow. (I decided I didn't like version 1 that much, and the fact that one of you lot used 'Every Bloody Emperor' by Van Der Graff Generator before me was a clincher.)

So, apologies for the delayed dispatch of my CD. They'll all be posted tomorrow.

Giddy

PS. Feedback on your CDs to follow over the course of this week

PPS. Can't recall right now whose CD it's on but 'Family Galaxy' by Tim Exile is the most fabulous piece of music I've heard in yonks. Absolutely brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Sun Jan 23, 2011 18:18

Giddy, i was under the impression that you were waiting for Snard's contribution to hit you from stateside so as you could post yours and his together to each recipiant to cut down on postage. I'm certainly in no rush. I still havn't quite got my head round Trouserpress's bonus prog assault yet, the alarming possibility that i may indeed be a progger after all has reared its head and bitten me on the arse, and i've plenty of new leads to follow up as it is :) I've not 'alf enjoyed driving about the last week or so i must say, but its bloody hard to read the tracklistings on these windy country lanes.............xM

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 18:29

God, I'm dim. I'd never even thought about that postage masterplan - I was just going to post Snard's CDs as and when I get them. I don't mind paying the couple of quid it'll cost to send on Snard's CDs.

I laughed out loud at your description of trying to read track listings whilst driving. I've been doing exactly the same, to the point that I've stopped bothering to switch off the interior light in the car.

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Mon Jan 24, 2011 00:54

ya i have the same problem,then i thought at least i dont have to fold out a sheet of paper to read em :D

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 23:53

My CDs are finally in the post so should be tumbling through your letterboxes in the next couple of days (or, in Snards case, next week or so).

Giddy

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Fri Jan 28, 2011 13:13

hi giddy got your cd this morning,just listened to it.seems to be a problem with tracklisting. 10,11 &13 are actually 11,12 & 14.can you list the proper track numbers and il let you know who i like cheers
actually just noticed theres 19 tracks on it instead of the listed 18 while going trough it again,thought the track listed as 17 sounded more 18 as well

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 00:39

Ah. Well, erm, yes. So...

1. Hans Zimmer
2. Los Campesinos!
3. Sparks
4. Acoustic Ladyland
5. Cloud Cult
6. Whitest Boy Alive
7. Voice of the Seven Woods
8. Ladytron
9. Space Opera
10. Husky Rescue
11. Stereolab
12. Battles
13. Swedish House Mafia
14. Robyn
15. Robert Fripp
16. M83
17. The Antlers
18. Brian Jonestown Massacre
19. Doctor Rockit

Bugger.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 20:07

ALRIGHT !

Apologies to all & sundry for being so appallingly absent from this thread (if not the board itself). I have recieved 4 CD packs but have not opened them yet (I know I got from Belly, Monk and Trouser) because I've felt so damn guilty at being so derelict in my reciprocal responsibilities. Yes folks, I have been that pathetically broke, and had to save whatever cash on hand for basics like subway fare, etc. But thanks to the wonderful US tax system and the IRS :rolleyes:, I've got my tax return direct-deposited and am capitalized for this project. Just went out and bought CDs and slipcases and should have it all in the mail to Giddy by Monday morning, barring any hard drive malfunction on this laptop (I reformatted and reinstalled this week). If that happens, I'll use my housemate's computer tomorrow when it's available, which has no functionality issues.

You will all become proud owners of my original CD, each with a painstakingly hand-lettered track listing. Now, whether any of you find value in my music or not (it's all up on YouTube in the McClintic Sphere thread on Cardiacs Alike), it is unarguably original, therefore at least in the league of any mix CD in terms of effort of compilation. I could toss on some obscure NY avant-jazz or Allan Holdsworth, but at the very least you'll all have something more like a collector's item.

Expect reactions on your music very soon ::twisted:

Bob

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 09:54

Snardbafulator wrote:...whether any of you find value in my music or not (it's all up on YouTube in the McClintic Sphere thread on Cardiacs Alike), it is unarguably original, therefore at least in the league of any mix CD in terms of effort of compilation. I could toss on some obscure NY avant-jazz or Allan Holdsworth...

Hi Snard,

Not sure I've got this right. Are you saying you've compiled a CD where all of the tracks are by you / McClintic Sphere, as opposed to a collection of tracks by different artists?

Giddy

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:04

Hey Giddy, whats the Acoustic Ladyland track called? And is anyone else a little less than excited about the McClintlock Sphere exclusive? ;) xM

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38

Giddy wrote:
Snardbafulator wrote:...whether any of you find value in my music or not (it's all up on YouTube in the McClintic Sphere thread on Cardiacs Alike), it is unarguably original, therefore at least in the league of any mix CD in terms of effort of compilation. I could toss on some obscure NY avant-jazz or Allan Holdsworth...

Hi Snard,

Not sure I've got this right. Are you saying you've compiled a CD where all of the tracks are by you / McClintic Sphere, as opposed to a collection of tracks by different artists?

Yes, Giddy, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's all up in this thread, right before we all decided to do it. I got the impression at first that we were going to pick an individual and swap with them, so I asked specifically for Trouser because of our mutual love for prog and RIO, and explained that all I could offer in return -- since the vast majority of my CDs were stolen -- was a copy of my original CD. He didn't respond to that, but bellyeyed did, saying he'd love to get a copy of my music. And then I recall another post where I ranted that my CDs were gone and I couldn't afford to replace them. Then I asked you specifically if we had to make one CD and copy it for five people, and you said yes, that's how it works. I could redo this, actually; I have the blank CDs and haven't copied out the track listings yet. But here's my problem, Giddy. I don't have 16 separate artists on CD I could use for a compilation, nor do I have the software to convert a cassette deck output to digital (not that I'd want to subject anybody to the fidelity of 15+ year-old cassettes).

Frankly, I think you guys are getting the better end of the deal. What you'd get in return is a genuine collector's item which you can't get anywhere else. This is not, you know, my garage band recorded at home on a 4-track; it's a crisp recording of music I've written out in score form. I've recieved the highest praise for the music itself (ask Sterbus, Trouser, SaltyJon or snowman), even though the sounds are old-school digital. There's no avant-garde wankery or interminable atmospherics, it's all well-structured progrock, and I invested countless hours in every tune.

But it's your call. You're the CD-swap camp counsellor. Say the word and I'll gather 4 or 5 artists and record either very long pieces or multiple tracks by them. And they won't be my favorites or stuff that I'd necessarily want to put on a swap CD -- just the stuff that didn't get ripped off.

If I were you I'd go with what's behind Door Number 1 ::D

Bob