Any interest in a CD swap?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Any interest in a CD swap?

Postby Snardbafulator » Mon Jan 03, 2011 08:59

bellyeyed wrote:i for one anyway was only thinking of burning a compilation cd,standard size.its not about forcing your own taste on anyone,you dont have to like it.for me its just about being openminded,giving something that maybe you woudnt buy a chance to impress.i would be happy to receive one from you bob,[a song called snardbafulator has to be good :) ]im always on the lookout for new[or old]things.receiving a physical copy of a song has a hundred times more value for me than a link and would make me dig deeper a lot faster.

Wow ... thank you. What a decent (as in upright, not mediocre) sentiment. Alright alright, every last one eh yez has done a bang-up job of dissuading me of my pissant attitude about sharing CDs. Well done. Consider me among the converted ...

I'm going to be painfully honest and self-reflective (to a fault as usual) and admit that most of this came because I'm pissed off. I'm pissed off my CDs were stolen, I'm pissed off that I'm still unemployed and can't find a job, I'm pissed off that I have virtually no extra money to spend on music (although the $20 that just went to Leader I consider a non-negotiatable obligation to [the] Cardiacs community), I'm pissed off because it's been so long since I've bought anything new.

There is, though, another aspect to my feelings about this which comes out of, I think, genuine consideration. It's one thing to post a link and if people ignore it that's fine. But if somebody's going to go out of their way to burn you a CD and spend money on postage, you owe that person, at the very least, a considered, sympathetic reaction to their efforts. And I'm just not very good at going "oh thank you so much for that, it was very ... nice" if that runs contrary to my honest feelings about the music. You've prolly noticed by now, bellyeyed, that I can be quite the critic. And this sounds like I'm being terribly pre-emptive -- and I am, because I know my tastes. I can be surprised, surely -- I just listened again to The Royal Treatment Plant, they still kick my ass and they're straight-ahead girl pop, but I'm left tepid by Field Music and North Atlantic Oscillation, both of which are more sophisticated and "proggy" -- and people here are going nuts about them. But nearly all the time my positive reaction requires an above-average degree of formal complexity.

If you're willing to accept this about me and not take offense, I guess that's all I'm really asking.

And yes, I think "Snardbafulator" is an awesome tune -- but I'm Snardbafulator's daddy and I'd love li'l Baffy even if he decided to reach into his diaper and fling a poo in the face of a Buckingham Palace guard :shock: Your mileage may vary -- especially if you find the sound of a 2-operator FM "synth on a chip" as grating as everyone here (including myself) apparently does. If you have a bizarre fetish for continually unpredictable rhythmic patterns like me, though, you might also get past that ...

But at the very least, check it out on YouTube first so you know what you're getting yourself into ...

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 14:51

I'm up for this! I'll listen to anything, me. But I'm sure you've all got great taste in music anyway(clippa excepted :wink: )
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Wed Jan 05, 2011 00:20

il be looking forward to an extensive insight into why the music i listen to is shite :) all part of the fun
im not going to say anymore after this...except for..

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:42

Gosh darn it i'm in. I've followed the thread since it started, umming and ahing but hey, i'm willing to spunk a fiver just to know that Bob will listen to stuff he may very well hate and subsequently crit within this very haven. As Bellyeyed hints, whats not to like? :)
last one out turn off the lights.

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 13:40

Blimey but we're rolling now, aren't we? Thanks all. Unless there are strong objections, I'll draw up a list of participants tonight (although latecomers will remain welcome) and post details of next steps.

I'm already mulling over the content of my CD. I'm torn between songs with a theme or songs from albums / artists that I love. Suspect I'll go for the latter in the hope that I introduce one or more of you to something groovy that you hadn't heard before.

Thanks again.

Giddy

PS. Yes, you're right, the word 'groovy' should set alarm bells ringing.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Jan 05, 2011 19:40

Giddy wrote: Blimey but we're rolling now, aren't we? Thanks all. Unless there are strong objections, I'll draw up a list of participants tonight (although latecomers will remain welcome) and post details of next steps.

I'm already mulling over the content of my CD. I'm torn between songs with a theme or songs from albums / artists that I love. Suspect I'll go for the latter in the hope that I introduce one or more of you to something groovy that you hadn't heard before.

Okay, by mutual lack of objection, you're the camp counselor, then. Lemme put in my strong vote, though, for Trouserpress to be my not-so-secret sharer. Sure, I can do the "I'll listen to anything once" routine and entertain you all with my curmudgeonly objections -- but being as broke as I am, frankly I'd love a little RIO and Zeuhl on a CD of my ownsome right now ...

Plus, Trouser, as one of the RIO / Avant-Prog mods over on ProgArchives (which I'm registered on but have not visited yet) might be able to hustle my original CD to some odd siggie freaks over there -- and might also appreciate it as more than a mere obscure curiosity.

Not to speak for him or anything. Just, you know, considering what I know of his taste.

Giddy wrote:PS. Yes, you're right, the word 'groovy' should set alarm bells ringing.

Hey, don't sweat it. All this shameless musical self-promotion makes me sound like Danny Bonaduce from The Partridge Family. :mrgreen:

Bob

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Jan 05, 2011 20:04

Bellyeyed! I don't mean to be such a self-centered jerk. I'll absolutely share a CD with you as well, since you seem so sincerely interested.

Bob

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 00:24

Okay, we've got 6 definites (Giddy, Trouserpress, Bellyeyed, Snardbafulator, Pheel and Monkton). Unless there are any objections, I suggest we all do a CD for each other, i.e. 6 in total. Bob, you sound strapped for cash right now so, if it helps, you can post all your CDs to me and I'll then post them on to others in the UK, if that offers you any kind of saving.

I've PM'd you with my address details. Send me your addresses and you'll get your CD within a week.

Thanks all for taking part.

Giddy
Trainee Camp Counsellor
Winter season, 04-05

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:16

sounds cool.all of a sudden ive got a terrible [great]feeling that im going to be the black sheep of this family fish :D all the better,ye dont know what yeve let yerselves in for
im not going to say anymore after this...except for..

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Thu Jan 06, 2011 02:12

I'm genuinely excited :D New stuff to play in the car for a start!

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Thu Jan 06, 2011 19:49

Giddy wrote:Okay, we've got 6 definites (Giddy, Trouserpress, Bellyeyed, Snardbafulator, Pheel and Monkton). Unless there are any objections, I suggest we all do a CD for each other, i.e. 6 in total. Bob, you sound strapped for cash right now so, if it helps, you can post all your CDs to me and I'll then post them on to others in the UK, if that offers you any kind of saving.

Okay, do you mean 6 copies of one selection of tracks, or 6 separate track selections? (i.e. making one CD and copying it 5 times vs making 6 different CDs.) Just want to be clear here. And yes, if I post all mine to you that would be a bit helpful, thanks.

Giddy wrote: I've PM'd you with my address details. Send me your addresses and you'll get your CD within a week.

You got it.

Giddy wrote: Thanks all for taking part.

Thanks for your patience!

Bob

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Thu Jan 06, 2011 20:40

I'm going to make one of these, very very soon and then i will be in touch Giddyup.
Seems like I've been listening to lots of old vinyl lately, you should all be glad that I can't digitize it probably! :)
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 22:10

Bob - one CD and 5 copies would be great. And Schlep, you'll be welcome to participate.

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 18:36

Well i've done it. If people PM me addresses i'll try an get 'em in the post Mon or Tues an i'll give ya my address in the PM reply :)

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 18:37

Stupidly i appear to have done one for myself and one for luck so if any other fishes want one, see above!