Any interest in a CD swap?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Any interest in a CD swap?

Postby Giddy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 20:03

I'm new round here so apologies if this has already happened but I wondered if anybody is interested in compiling a mix CD and swapping it with others in the pond? It's a great way of hearing new music (or not so new - there are no rules) and all it costs are a few blank CDs and some stamps.

Just reply to say if you want to be involved and, once we have a feel for numbers, we'll pair fishies up with one another or into groups.

Giddy

schlep
Cardiacsy

Re: Any interest in a CD swap?

Postby schlep » Tue Dec 28, 2010 23:50

Maybe, if everyone else wants to. I like to inflict my musical tastes on others usually!
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

steve adams
big dogs knob

Postby steve adams » Wed Dec 29, 2010 00:57

wouldnt it be better to just add a spotify link
saves on postage and cds :wink:
get well soon tim smith !!!

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 09:42

Hi Steve,

Spotify would definitely be cheaper but it won't be used by everybody on here and there's something about the tangible CD (and artwork, for those that can be bothered) that I prefer. Can I count you in?

Giddy

steve adams
big dogs knob

Postby steve adams » Wed Dec 29, 2010 14:43

i will have to decline
hope it goes well though :)
get well soon tim smith !!!

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Wed Dec 29, 2010 17:33

Sorta tempted but i might be just too damn lazy :)

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Wed Dec 29, 2010 18:06

If the threads I start are anything to go by people would be lining their bins up directly under their letterboxes :D
I don't want my doormat covered in waffly prog, ironic hip hop, shouty smalldick metal acts and unlistenably "cool" jarring tryhard tuneless shite neither.
I'm out.

Giddy
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Giddy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 22:29

eadric wrote:Sorta tempted but i might be just too damn lazy :)

I'm reminded of that scene in "Dad's Army" where Captain Mainwaring has the boys stood in a line and asks for a volunteer to step forward, only for everybody (bar poor old Pike) to take one step back. "Sorta tempted..." is a 100% yes in my book. Welcome on board, eadric.

Any other takers? Go on, you know you want to.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 01:00

clippa wrote:If the threads I start are anything to go by people would be lining their bins up directly under their letterboxes :D
I don't want my doormat covered in waffly prog, ironic hip hop, shouty smalldick metal acts and unlistenably "cool" jarring tryhard tuneless shite neither.
I'm out.

"Shouty smalldick metal acts" is, admittedly, a brilliant description (note how Blotted Science has no vocals, yess!) -- but what in God's Grey Earth is implied by "waffly prog?" :?

There's an advantage to this, sure -- the sampling rate of CDs blasts away anything you can download, fidelity-wise. Artwork is a moot issue, though, because even the most obsessed CD-burners aren't going to take the time to color-copy, trim down and staple CD booklets so that they fit perfectly in jewel boxes -- am I wrong? Also, CDs have now become old technology, and many people who bought perfectly hi-fi CD players now have legacy players they're not going to spend money on replacing which can't play CDs that are not burned at the highest, most time-consuming sampling rate (my entire Allan Holdsworth collection needs to be played on the DVD player downstairs on the living room stereo because half the tracks won't play on mine).

Finally, there's the ol' conscience issue of copyright infringement. A main reason I do all my music sharing and on-turnage via YouTube is that, fidelity-wise, it's like trading cassettes. You're not really giving away anybody's final, fully perfected musical product ...

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Trouserpress
Gold Cardiac

Postby Trouserpress » Thu Dec 30, 2010 01:30

I'm in.
My blog: Hemulism
My podcast: Wound With List

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Thu Dec 30, 2010 04:04

Don't touch me.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:58

Snardbafulator wrote:what in God's Grey Earth is implied by "waffly prog?"

I'm sure this is what clippa means.

As we're here i prefer plain links as format, they're readily ignorable.

Here's some stuff i'd reference, all had albums out this year that i've enjoyed, so please feel free to go ahead and do your own right-clicking: Avi Buffalo, Midlake, Steve Mason, Tame Impala, Warpaint.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Re:

Postby Snardbafulator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 14:54

Snardbafulator>> what in God's Grey Earth is implied by "waffly prog?"

dogsetc> I'm sure this is what clippa means.

Hmm. As a political junkie, I'm so used to the second definition of "waffle" as a synonym for "flip-flop" (and all the attendent oppo pranks of dressing up as a waffle -- the edible kind you have with syrup for breakfast -- and dogging a candidate's events. John Kerry got hit with it a lot when he ran for president, so did Bill Clinton) that I had no idea its main meaning is blather.

Okay, blathery progrock, that's everybody's default attack, I get it.

dogsetc> As we're here i prefer plain links as format, they're readily ignorable.

Never really paid attention to the syntax in the editor, but that equals sign is clear enough. The question that comes immediately to my loudmouth American mind, though, is that if I go through the trouble of posting links, why would I want people to ignore them?

dogsetc> Here's some stuff i'd reference, all had albums out this year that i've enjoyed, so please feel free to go ahead and do your own right-clicking: Avi Buffalo, Midlake, Steve Mason, Tame Impala, Warpaint.

Right-clicking? Anyway, I've never heard of any of those folks, so I'll keep my ears peeled and make sure to look them up on YouTube in a spare moment or two. If any of them really strike your fancy, why not start a thread about them on Cardiacs Alike? Because you know if any of them wind up striking this loudmouth American's fancy, that's precisely what he'll do ...

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Thu Dec 30, 2010 17:33

Snardbafulator wrote:The question that comes immediately to my loudmouth American mind, though, is that if I go through the trouble of posting links, why would I want people to ignore them?

Oh that's our way of being all self-effacing, feigning indifference, when we'd really like to have 'em by the lapels, veins bulging, screaming "listen-to-this-because-i-likes-it..." I suppose it's the same twisted manner that makes us say what a terribly nice day it is.

Snardbafulator wrote:Right-clicking?

Right-click, Search Google (or whatever engine comes along first). It offers the option of myspace, YouTubes... i never know which is more useful, but it's less presumptious than a direct link, or more evasive.

Snardbafulator wrote:Anyway, I've never heard of any of those folks

If we'd bothered with a Tell us Your Best Albums of 2010 thread they'd all have appeared on my list. There's an Avi Buffalo thread, and there's been discussion of Midlake here and there; they're Americans, as are Warpaint, and Tame Impala are Australian; Steve Mason was in the Beta Band. In fact it's been an exceptionally good year for an old git like me to discover brand new pop music.

Ok, My Favourite 2010 Albums:

—Midlake's 'Courage of Others' is a wonderful thing. I've seen them playing this set of songs twice this year, once very much not sober in many ways and they were mesmerising, and once like a judge and they were stunningly good. I'll be listening to this album, and the previous one (here's Roscoe) for years.
—The Avi Buffalo record is lovely. It's not like anything else that i'm familiar with, and they're about nineteen, which is ridiculous. Live, Avi the main lad is some guitarist. I predict great things for his future.
—Tame Impala make the only music i've heard that smells anything like Soft Machine Two.
—Much-hyped, because none of them look like the backs of buses i suppose, but i like the new Warpaint one 'The Fool' in the same way as the Impalas. It's new, but it's old etc.
—Steve Mason doing Am I Just A Man from his solo album. An intriguing performer now, and a cracking record.
—The Coral album 'Butterfly House' is not my favourite as it's got no ragged edges at all, but in this respect it's probably their best. It's one of this country's great mysteries to me that they seem to be taken completely for granted, it's almost as if they don't really exist.
—The Arch Garrison is the best Cardiacsy album (that includes Knifeworld, and the tribute i'm afraid).

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Thu Dec 30, 2010 18:23

Interesting list, I haven't heard any of 'em but have clicked on Tame Impala and written all their names down in a little notebook.

Some new things I've liked,
Kavus' November radio adventures put me onto "Cosa Brava" by Frith - Kihlstedt and co. Still trying to track down an affordable copy, I agree with Mr Bates that downloading is a bad-tasting last-resort option.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mirDkTNN78 (1 of 4)

Field Music (Measure)
Arch Garrison - it took a while for this to unfold itself!
The very wonderful Marnie Stern
-waiting for LotSS-
Low Anthem
Do you know what I mean to say

I meant to say to you today

A day goes by I try thats why

I try to speak to you today