What movie did you see today ?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

montoid
Cardiacs Expert

Re: What movie did you see today ?

Postby montoid » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:00

Under the Skin:

Blimey, if that's not the best thing I've seen in awhile. Contains appropriate nudity.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Mon Jul 21, 2014 14:44

Under The Skin:

When it finished we agreed we wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Film makers maybe. So yup, it divides opinion alright.

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Mon Jul 21, 2014 14:58

Really enjoyed Starred Up recently. Bit of a clichéd prison drama but the performances are excellent, especially from the guy who played Pukey in This Is England.

Blue Ruin remains my film of the year so far, but I have high expectations for the new Ape film.
I didn't enjoy Under the Skin, though I've just borrowed the book so I'll probably give that a go.

montoid
Cardiacs Expert

Postby montoid » Mon Jul 21, 2014 15:33

So yup, it divides opinion alright.

Yes, some people think it's a Kubrickesque (ouch!) tour de force (oww!)
and some people are wrong :)

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Re:

Postby Bubby » Mon Jul 21, 2014 22:40

Made Of Worms wrote:Under The Skin:

When it finished we agreed we wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Film makers maybe. So yup, it divides opinion alright.

Can you quantify what it was you didn't like about it? Obviously i disagree, but i know quite a few people that went in with high expectations and were just bored by it and felt it didn't work at all. It's not an easy one to casually recommend, i find. I'm still haunted by that final scene ::(

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Re:

Postby Snardbafulator » Mon Jul 21, 2014 22:59

Bubby wrote:Can you quantify what it was you didn't like about it? Obviously i disagree, but i know quite a few people that went in with high expectations and were just bored by it and felt it didn't work at all. It's not an easy one to casually recommend, i find. I'm still haunted by that final scene ::(

I'm in the middle of my own horror movie scenario (just briefly checking in) and will be until the next two treatments are done (don't ask -- although that Don Byron bug music was very thoughtful of you) :razz: but even though I didn't see it, I think it's fairly obvious what will keep this a cult film at best: There's no slam-bam action on the one hand and on the other, there are no intensely developed personal relationships -- it's neither a chick nor a guy flick. So it's a "thinker" as our exiled friend sez, which to a certain extent validates some of the Kubrick comparisons, especially to 2001 (and there's that sour elitist taste that montoid tweaked).

My problem is that when I begin to think about it the entire premise falls apart.

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Mon Jul 21, 2014 23:03

I'm in the middle of my own horror movie scenario (just briefly checking in) and will be until the next two treatments are done (don't ask -- although that Don Byron bug music was very thoughtful of you) :razz:

Oh good, you noticed :P

Roaches is it?

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Mon Jul 21, 2014 23:05

Bubby wrote:Roaches is it?

That would be beyond horrific.

Bob

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Mon Jul 21, 2014 23:06

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Mon Jul 21, 2014 23:16

I'll see that and raise it one Cretaceous Chasm.

Blotted Science's precision re-scoring of a scene from the 2005 remake of King Kong.

From The Animation of Entomology EP. It's a twelve-tone composition, too.

Bob

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue Jul 22, 2014 02:01

Bubby wrote:Can you quantify what it was you didn't like about [Under The Skin]?

I've just tried twice and went badly rambly twice. Third time lucky? (Edit: not really.)

The opening sequence really set the stall out, and by happy coincidence we had some weed in for the first time in months, so this film looked just the ticket. And it was, with its art-house-ness and its challenging pacing and its lack of meaningful dialogue or music and its potentially very strong gambit. Mrs W said it was an alien quite quickly without me having told her, so we could get on with thinking it might be about a girl coming of age, learning about men thing. But by about the two thirds mark we were seriously running out of engrossment. We began not to care who the motorbike guy was any more, etc, as the film evidently didn't care to tell us much and persisted instead in showing us some very long fixed shots just like it had from the beginning. We were reduced to just looking at Ms Johansson and her acting, which could be worse, but it was no longer enough. She got more fearful, got raped, the big reveal was a reveal in visual terms only, the end. Mrs W said if it wasn't for Possession she might have been more disturbed. It hasn't haunted either of us, thematically or otherwise. It's one of those films that if you don't rate it, you know people will think you didn't get the nuances. I dunno, maybe we didn't.

(Edit: so yeah, I could have just quoted your "just bored by it and felt it didn't work" :roll:)
Last edited by Made Of Worms on Wed Jul 23, 2014 03:22, edited 1 time in total.

montoid
Cardiacs Expert

Postby montoid » Tue Jul 22, 2014 14:13

. . . but, was the lingering shot of the rising smoke at the end suggesting that she/it wasn't dead and had merely transformed into another form of matter. Eh?, yeah? One nuance too many perhaps.

I read and watch and play too much fvcking sci-fi nonsense :roll: :)

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Tue Jul 22, 2014 15:06

One of the most heartbreaking scenes for me was the disfigured guy being intercepted by Mr Motorcycle and stuffed into the boot while the neighbour watches dispassionately. Then there's the beach scene, the two men 'swimming' in the abyss, the intro with the eye formation and Scarlett testing out vowel sounds, her freakout in the castle and of course the ending. It's a fvcking marvel.

oh, and there's tits in it

montoid
Cardiacs Expert

Postby montoid » Tue Jul 22, 2014 15:15

the toddler on the beach made me squirm a bit

. . . and minge

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Tue Jul 22, 2014 16:29

Bubby wrote:oh, and there's tits in it

And not just any tits, they're Scarlett Johannson tits which are some of the tittiest tits in the known universe.

She was so awesome as the little 16-year-old piano student who drops into Billy Bob Thornton's lap in the Coen's The Man Who Wasn't There. She gets all grateful to ol' Billy Bob for driving her across the state to some big-time piano teacher and tries to give him head in the car.

Billy Bob, who's emotionally catatonic throughout the whole movie, freaks out -- no, no, NO! -- and wrecks the car, setting up his ruin and removing the need for Scarlett as a plot device.

That's some dangerous titty right there ...
montoid wrote:the toddler on the beach made me squirm a bit

. . . and minge

Hey, urbandictionary didn't say nuthin about no verb.

Edit: The Context Fairy left a little note on my pillow this morning.

Bob