What did you listen to today ?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re: What did you listen to today ?

Postby Snardbafulator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:41

Bubby wrote:I don't use any kind of spellcheck, i thought that was obvious :?

Okay then, I'll just have to blame your for the greatest part accurate spelling and generally consistent lack of grammatical solecisms on your being British :o

Which isn't precisely the same thing as blaming mine on me being an all-around freakazoid :mrgreen:
Nice interview. I see there's also an interview with Scott Thunes on that site which i've bookmarked to read later. Should be interesting considering his (alledged) tyrannical assholery was the reason the band fell apart with most of the members hating his guts.

I read that interview and also this one, so after a bit of a Thunes-a-thon I think I have a general idea of what went down. Thunes is a very strong-minded person, very opinionated and perhaps a little full of himself. He's also extremely (almost absurdly, he protesteth-too-much) self-critical and like all harsh self-critics he's equally harsh on other people, with a snarky, sardonic sense of humor as well as a quick temper. So not your typical easygoing SoCal guy.
Been fired from a lot of bands, wound up doing working-class day jobs (construction, club doorman) and as of the most recent interview, looking for a computer industry gig.

That said, I didn't really get a sense that he's an asshole, more like a polarizing personality who's inward-directed enough not to care about alienating people. So Zappa synergizes this by making him the band Clonemeister, their name for the sargeant-at-arms or executive officer (or concertmaster) role amounting to the band disciplinarian -- the guy who makes sure everybody gets to rehearsals on time, fines those who aren't and yells at people for not having their parts down cold. In other words, the one guy in the band that everybody learns to hate.

There was also according to Thunes a musical disagreement. Thunes is a serious student of 20th century classical harmony whose sensibility in playing "outside" the chords meshed with Zappa's own, so Frank gave him an unprecedented amount of leeway to improvise in the arrangements, especially compared to the rhythm guitarists and keyboard players, and some of Zappa's musicians -- always beat on for not playing verbatim -- were uncomfortable with this, especially since it was usually Thunes himself (as Zappa's mouthpiece) doing the beating.

All this said, Frank's bands have always thrived on personality conflicts (you surely can't hear any of the bad blood in those three records); in fact, in the Mothers Zappa often turned them into performance art, and so it appears unfair to say that Thunes singlehandedly caused the disintegration of the '88 band (most of the band members have since reconciled with Thunes). The issues were much bigger; especially that Zappa was seriously ill then and kept it a secret.

The one guy who hadn't reconciled with Thunes was Ike Willis (who according to Thunes still owes him 93 bucks) who, a decade later, set about badmouthing Thunes and spreading the whole Thunes-destroyed-the-'88-band story on some internet forum, and we know how rumors like this can spread and stick. Frankly, if it's a choice between believing Frank's all-time favorite bassist and Thing-Fish, I personally don't have to think twice about who to credence.
I'm usually not one for much of Zappa's 'humour', but i find the Swaggart stuff funny because it's so childish rather than in spite of.

In order to get any of Zappa's humor, you have to buy into the concept of stupid-funny (even moronic-funny) and I have no problem with that at all. The Swaggart thing would've been fine, right in Zappa's wheelhouse, had it been a self-contained little number. But basing so much of that show around Zappa's perception of the US being bullied and terrorized by these shark-suited circus clowns is a little ludicrous; we had bigger problems in the Age of Reagan.

My beef here with Frank is of course much bigger than this. Frank's politics are just naïve, animated on the one hand by whiz-bang American Freudianism that was hugely influential in intellectual circles in the 50s and 60s which amounted to saying that all sexual repression is bad (Freud himself would beg to differ, calling repression the necessary price of civilization), and on the other by the simpleminded libertarian formula that if you just left everybody alone to do what they wanted then we'd all get along fine. These are both standard-issue 60s hippie cant that Frank simply never grew out of or managed to see in a larger or historical context. Shriekingly ironic when you consider two of Frank's least favorite things, the self-indulgent excesses of the counterculture and corporate greed run amok, spring from these ideas.
The lyrics for Lonesome Cowboy Jim sound like they were made up on the spot.

Well of course they're based on Lonesome Cowboy Burt, a feature in 200 Motels for the otherwise neglected Jimmy Carl Black (replaced in the Mothers by Aynsley Dunbar).
Then there's Texas Motel that i don't think was ever released (can't think why).

That was marginally amusing but I'm still very meh about it all. Part of it's that Frank's sexual politics are so rancid -- he's done whole albums about the lofty pursuit of rock bands scoring groupies (all the fallout with wives and girlfriends seems either to go unnoticed or get snickered at, as in The Jazz Discharge Party Hats) and so here's ol' Jimmy Swaggart caught with a prostitute. Goodness, the Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker embezzlement scandal is a much more serious fish to fry, but gods, it's SEX so let's go after this tawdry little episode instead.
Zappa is going after someone who actually deserves the scorn and humiliation for once rather than the usual pc baiting shite

Oh, no sympathy for Jimmy Swaggart. It's just that in Frank's ideal universe, what Jimmy and Jessica Hahn did wouldn't rate comment because prostitution would be legal. Okay, nothing wrong with laughing at hypocritical human weakness but nothing much satirical about it, either. Laughing at Jimmy strikes no blow against televangelism because as long as he gets down on his scabby knees and begs forgiveness it's no longer an issue for his followers. So the whole idea of dangerous satire, of getting people to laugh at themselves, isn't operative here.

You know the Python with the rugged Ozzies in the outback blowing away bugs with a howitzer and skinning a mosquito alive with a machete? Zappa just ran that bit into the ground.
(Jumbo Go Away

Fine Girl and Pick Me I'm Clean aren't anything to write home about, either, but Jumbo Go Away is probably the single most vicious and mean-spirited song in Zappa's whole catalog.
and We're Turning Again are both utterly pathetic and not remotely funny or satirical)

I'd have to beg to differ with you there. I think We're Turning Again is a return to the kind of truly dangerous satire the MOI did so devastatingly on We're Only In It For The Money. Unlike Jimmy and that poor hapless overweight would-be groupie with the feminine hygiene issues, it's not directed at an individual but at a whole generation, which is fair game. Sure, it's sharp, it's scabrous; when Frank exonerates the cops and National Guard who abused, trampled on the rights of and even killed a few hippies because "they were full of all that shit that they believed in ... so-ho-ho WHAT THE F'CK" you go ooof! But I don't think Frank meant it literally.

It's an attack, after all, on one of my own favorite targets, which is baby boomer cultural hegemony. Frank should've mentioned that just because there are more of them than there are of everyone else doesn't give their music the right to dominate the airwaves now that they've entered their peak earning years and can buy back their entire adolescent record collections on CD. You forget how demoralizing the "classic rock" radio boom was in the late 80s to the already shaken-up prospects of new bands trying to break out in a world of disco, hair metal and castrated new wave. Maybe it wasn't the boomers's fault that there were so many of them so prosperous and thus were such an easy marketing target, maybe Zappa was being unfair to the young people who effectively ended the Vietnam War and jump-started the environmental movement by trampling on their idealism as empty-souled narcissism. Well, as I just said a minute ago, Zappa never really saw the connection between the values that he cherished and the youth culture he so loved to slam for acting on their natural impulses.
Edit: You two have got me tubin' for Zappa videos now.

A veritable whitewater rafting ride ...
I think the first i ever saw of him was this home video which i watched at a friends house aged about 14. I can't remember if i'd smoked some grass or not, but i remember being quite disturbed by some of the animation.

Ah, yes, the amazing Mr. Bickford. There's a lot of that in the Baby Snakes video, too. Bruce Bickford is indeed an amazingly imaginative claymation animator but frankly I'd much rather watch a clean clip of that well-recorded concert. Gimme shots of Ruth on a marimba any day.

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Thu Jul 24, 2014 13:09

Mr. Minnow wrote:Morton Feldman's Violin and String Quartet, which I'm posting as a special birthday treat for Bob, because I just know he's going to adore this. There's no need to thank me Bob.

Happy Birthday! :)

Yeah, hippy beardy Bob!

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Fri Jul 25, 2014 19:19

Currently listening to Cuz, Mike Watt's collaborative project with Sam Dook of The Go! Team. Not much on Youtube other than the title track of the album, Tamatebako.

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Sat Jul 26, 2014 13:02

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 21:32

Ok, I'll repost this here because after two weeks nobody seems to have listened to this!
Stop Motion Orchestra cover of TVTV.... Marc Cawthra, Dom Luckman and Tim Quy loved it and commented about it, so why don't we? 8)

http://stopmotionorchestra.bandcamp.com/track/t-v-t-v

(I especially love the middle part, really reminded me of National Health or Henry Cow...)
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:57

I the undersigned did love it and comment on it.

Me

8)

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Wed Jul 30, 2014 16:57

Baf wrote:All you Abbolators out there (Kermode and Mayo, I'm talking to you) ought to check out Panzerballett's funk metal take on Gimme, Gimme, Gimme just once. It's not a masterpiece or anything but it's kinda kute for what it is. The album's good, too. Their Mein Teil is awesome.

That was pretty dreadful. The cover of the Simpsons theme was ok for about the first minute before they milked the fucker to exasperation point :-x

Mr Technique wrote:More free jazz influenced noize
Little Women

This was ok. It's really only abrasive for the first few tracks and then it seems to settle down by IV, which is quite lovely.

They're certainly no Borbetomagus!

Currently digging Last Exit - Köln. Tight as a crabs arse.

Am i missing any good noisy avant-jazz beyond Brotzmann, Zorn, Naked City, Painkiller, Z's? I'm finding it useful for when i'm fvcking pissed the fvck off, like right now.

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Fri Aug 01, 2014 18:39

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sat Aug 02, 2014 18:22

Rest assured I'm in the middle of another ginormo-post which will round up all the stuff I haven't commented on here, but while listening to HoBoLeMa just to check out Terry Bozzio's ridiculous drum kit as noted by the Bubster, I found a tune in the sidebar which led to this:

Gongzilla: Suffer (1995)

Allan Holdsworth: lead guitar
Bon Logaza: guitars & E-bow
Hansford Rowe: bass
Benoit Moerlen: vibes & marimba
Lionel Cordew: drums
Bobby Thomas, Jr.: percussion

I can't believe I missed this. Wow!

"Baf"

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Sat Aug 02, 2014 23:03

I woke this morning with a melody in my head that went 'dee de dee dededede dee de dee' that has been driving me insane trying to remember where it's from. Well, turns out it's this

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Sun Aug 03, 2014 16:09

Shub Niggurath First album/demo cassette released recording predating the classic Les Mortes Vont Vite. It was remastered by Udi Koomran a few years ago and reissued as Introduction.

Also listening to Corima.

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Mon Aug 04, 2014 15:35

Still listening to that Zs album. Great noise.

Soundtrack for this rainy afternoon:
Steroid Maximus - Ectopia
JG Thirlwell instrumental chaos that uses more of JG's jazzy soundtrack style which is fine with me. Music for car chases or low budget horror films.

Chelsea Wolfe
I think she's got a great voice and this is some haunting, Lynchian music fo sure, although the album becomes a little samey towards the end. This will no doubt be too 'gothy' for Bob, but i think it's good stuff. I think she toured with Swans and i'll put money on her being on their next album.

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Mon Aug 04, 2014 23:06

Thank you scientist - Blood on the radio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGvDpr13 ... pp=desktop

:D
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Tue Aug 05, 2014 04:07

Aziza Mustafa Zadeh

(piano and voice) Unutma Vijdani

(instrumental jazz trio) New Baku

Azerbaijan's answer to Kate Bush. A lot more on this lady a little later; I just found her.

Some people here really won't like her vocals. Too much scat, too much vibrato, the usual.

Hey ... many people never could learn to take Kate's voice, either.

Bob

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Wed Aug 06, 2014 20:10