What did you listen to today ?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sat Jun 28, 2014 13:33

Deeper and Down for me, but that's about all.

Absolutely love the Gyles Brandreth Slayer crossover.

Was always delighted to see Culture Shock / Subhumans / Citizen Fish pop up at a festy in the good old days when dogs were allowed. Stomp stomp mud jiggle.

My New Page Context Hell.

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Re: What did you listen to today ?

Postby Bubby » Sat Jun 28, 2014 13:50

Greyhound wrote:Raawwwr!

Heh, so it just took the word 'Slayer' to flush you out of lurking eh?

I have friends that usually go to Download and most of them didn't even bother this time. The lineup seems to get worse by the year.
I was given a free ticket to Download festival earlier this month so I've been reliving my metal youth for the last few weeks

I occasionally do the same thing when i'm drunk.

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Sat Jun 28, 2014 14:30

Snardbafulator wrote:This album is fantastic. Now that I have over twice as much HD space as I had before (and an external drive for backup and extra storage), Messr. Marcoeur is on the list to be collected.
Congrats, Sir Tech, you've made me an Albert Marcoeur fan. I can quite see not only the influences on Fred Frith, but on Marc Hollander, Lars Hollmer and much RIO to come.

Those aren't full albums either, just what was available of his 3rd and 4th albums. Apparently the remastering done about 10 years ago is not great. I have an ancient 2 disc collection of his first 4 albums that sounds good, but on Progressive Ears, Udi Koomran was lamenting the most recent job done on the albums and expressing how much he wishes he could be given access to those tapes.

I really really really liked this record. It's more than merely proto-Sleepytime, it's more like an adjunct. The Bungle comparison is silly (although the provenance makes sense) because they're much more original, and the flaws on the record are more than made up for by what works, not just (most of) Chicken Little, but also Twitch, Motherfucker and The Straw. The Cheesus ad parody was hysterical; reminds me of my own idea for Jeez-Whiz, which you spritz on your Eucha-Risp wafer. "Mmm ... it's sacre-licious!" People In Your Neighborhood was cute, too.

Not only does Nils have one of the greatest voices (and vocal ranges, from sub-basement baritone up to an unearthly falsetto) in rock but he's a great flautist, too, with a killer RIO-folk melodic sense, and Dan Rathbun is monster bass player, easily as definitive as Trevor Dunn.

I didn't intend to sound overly critical, I like this quite a bit as well, but there are parts that haven't exactly aged well. Much like SGM, Idiot Flesh have a missing final album that they kept promising even when the Museum was well underway, it has never materialized and SGM's swan song looks to be going the same way.

With all due respect, Bubster, I think this is the heaviest fuckin' thing evORE. Although maybe that's only because I just played it at pet-maiming volume. But it's Norwegians from the same academy that gave us Farmers Market (hint, hint, Tech), a guitar / sax / drums trio inspired by Crimson, Meshuggah and Terje Rypdal. Maybe some Orthrelm in there, too. Astounding how heavy they sound without a bass player. Some seriously brootalicious blowing by the guitarist.

I have long been familiar with Farmer's Market, it has been a long time since I listened to them which is why I haven't joined discussions about them which have popped up in the past year.

The new Poil- Mao is the one song that gives me pause, it sounds like a parody of some French electro dance I have heard, so maybe there is some cultural relevance that doesn't quite Translate for Americans. It is a minor speed bump for me, this is one of my favorites of the year so far, a nice step up from the last EP. These guys and Ni are from the same city and are all good friends, so it isn't too surprising they play a lot of shows together.

Mr. Minnow
All Spectacular

Postby Mr. Minnow » Sat Jun 28, 2014 15:22

Snardbafulator wrote:I feel bad for Mr. Minnow who wrote a couple posts here about classical music but couldn't find any links for it, so I had to exclude him from my roundup here.

As one of the old YOUsletters put it, I now feel like "a loose fish, shunned by the family shoal".

:(

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Sat Jun 28, 2014 17:18

Bubby wrote:The lineup seems to get worse by the year.

It was a truly terrible line-up this year but I couldn't turn down a freebie. I went mainly for the craic, plus we were in the Caravan campsite which is about 30 seconds walk to the arena so it was easy on the ageing legs.
Sepultura, The Wildhearts, Skid Row and The Offspring were the best of a bad bunch, to my drunken ears at least.
Steel Panther have nailed the hair-metal parody thing, though. Most amusing. :roll:
Bubby wrote:so it just took the word 'Slayer' to flush you out of lurking eh?

Och, I can never think of anything intelligent/amusing/informative to say (I'm a hoot at parties).

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 02:56

Seldom seen kid. I dont think they will ever better this. Full of memories and good times . Fantastic lyrics and an amazing voice. Maybe a little to mainstream for some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3DPO1R2A5A

With a bit of Kermode at the end for you fanboys !

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sun Jun 29, 2014 07:36

Bubby wrote:The The are a band i've not listened to much, but i do really like Burning Blue Soul which is a great mix of the experimental and the tuneful.

Just listened to the whole thing while training myself how to eat a sandwich (friggin' false teeth are like a hip replacement). I'm really glad it didn't have that New Romantic sound design with the boppy synth bass and dance beats and no, you wouldn't hear this on 80s radio (or MTV) save for college stations, but methinks "experimental" is putting too fine a point on what's more like ambient / soundtrack-y. Pop song form there was not remotely challenged.
Subhumans - Live In A Dive. Every song is fuckin' raucous, blistering sing-a-long anarcho punk. Lets gob.

Hey, I getcha. It's like I really hate to admit it, but The Ramones (who are dead punk but not really "anarcho"), cretinously simplistic in every way as they were, wrote some maddeningly catchy music, like I Wanna Be Sedated which can get helplessly stuck in my head for days.
Godflesh weren't Grindcore, that's all blast beats and early Napalm Death*, Brutal Truth, Agoraphobic Nosebleed etc...

Hey, I have no dog in this fight. The 'pedia called them "industrial metal" and AllMusic used that term, but also insisted that their grindcore "roots" were strongly evident on the disc you linked in particular. They also said that the important contrast between Godflesh and Napalm Death et al. is the much slower tempos, which is apparently what puts the "grind" in grindcore. But I understand that the grindcore vs death metal genre war (or as Freud would call it, the narcissism of small differences) can get your lights punched out in the wrong bar parking lot.
Don't know if you'd call it sludge or industrial or metal or noise rock or does it matter eh?

As I was saying to harveylime, I think genre hairsplitting can become unhelpful. Speaking of which, how do you define the difference between punk and post punk if not late 70s vs 80s?
I think Godflesh had more in common with Swans, a band i also wouldn't be in a rush to classify.

I can see that. The unique contribution of Justin Broadrick to metal was to use a drum machine (in the early 80s) and later on, to incorporate dub, turntable and hip hop elements. Would this make them a precursor of nu metal, or are they just too dang industrial for that?
They are one of the few "heavy" bands i'd still listen to (along with Slayer, Devin Townsend/SYL, and the Melvins)

I could easily look this up but I'm feeling lazy atm. I can see the SYL / Melvins connection, but isn't Slayer archetypical 80s thrash metal, which would use faster tempos and flashier guitar?
Greyhound wrote:Haven't listened to much new music recently, apart from the new Snares and School of Language albums. Both a little disappointing, truth be told.

I haven't heard the new Snares, but I did hear a sample from a brand new Aaron record in collaboration with a female vocalist / songwriter. I must say I wasn't hugely impressed.

re: Albert Mancoeur
Mr Technique wrote:Those aren't full albums either, just what was available of his 3rd and 4th albums. Apparently the remastering done about 10 years ago is not great. I have an ancient 2 disc collection of his first 4 albums that sounds good, but on Progressive Ears, Udi Koomran was lamenting the most recent job done on the albums and expressing how much he wishes he could be given access to those tapes.

I played a bunch of Albert tunes in the sidebar and I wound up liking all of them. I agree with you that "the French Frank Zappa" is critical sloth, but he's certainly another eminence grise (greasy eminence) along with Zappa and Vander for current RIO. I hear him in PoiL, too.

re: Idiot Flesh
I didn't intend to sound overly critical, I like this quite a bit as well, but there are parts that haven't exactly aged well. Much like SGM, Idiot Flesh have a missing final album that they kept promising even when the Museum was well underway, it has never materialized and SGM's swan song looks to be going the same way.

I personally think that the greatness of a piece of music is directly proportional to how well it ages and that the greatest music is truly timeless. This is why I think that as much as I love, say, We're Only In It For The Money, it'll be Uncle Meat that will be in the rep three centuries hence. The parody songs sprinkled throughout Fancy are a bit ham-handed and probably more suitable to theatrical live performances, but the abstract numbers have a timeless quality, certainly moreso than anything by Bungle, which always needs to make reference to things.
I have long been familiar with Farmer's Market, it has been a long time since I listened to them which is why I haven't joined discussions about them which have popped up in the past year.

Sure, the Bungle / SC3 / Patton axis. Can't have escaped your notice that Surfin' USSR is on Ipecac. I'd strongly recommend revisiting them, Sir Tech. The genrehoppy stuff that turned Mike on from Musik Fra Hybridiene (and that first amazes people about them) is a less important part of their output than their exquisitely rendered (and jazzed) Bulgarian folk.
The new Poil- Mao is the one song that gives me pause, it sounds like a parody of some French electro dance I have heard, so maybe there is some cultural relevance that doesn't quite Translate for Americans. It is a minor speed bump for me, this is one of my favorites of the year so far, a nice step up from the last EP. These guys and Ni are from the same city and are all good friends, so it isn't too surprising they play a lot of shows together.

I've been listening to the whole record multiple times and I'm finding that MAO is actually getting slightly better; the chorus is that obnoxious French electro but the other sections are quite good. I just put on Goddog, expecting to confirm my impression of an over-chaotic piece and wound up getting it instead; it's like a perfect cross between Extra Life and Mr. Bungle.

The real speed bump for me has been that overly long 2/4 pogo freakout stuck sort of pointlessly in the middle of Pikiwa. I keep putting that piece on, trying in vain to dismiss the whole thing, but the beginning and final sections, though comparatively crude, are also spectacularly mathy. So while I can be a bit disappointed, it can't wreck my overall impresson.
Mr. Minnow wrote:As one of the old YOUsletters put it, I now feel like "a loose fish, shunned by the family shoal".

NOW I know to what the first word of Loosefish Scapegrace refers!

Thanks!

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Sun Jun 29, 2014 17:47

Bob wrote:The unique contribution of Justin Broadrick to metal was to use a drum machine (in the early 80s) and later on, to incorporate dub, turntable and hip hop elements. Would this make them a precursor of nu metal, or are they just too dang industrial for that?

Possibly. I know Slipknot, Korn and that crowd totally worship them. Of course Faith No More/Mr Bungle were a much bigger influence on nu metal and i don't hold it against them either (Patton said something along the lines of "don't blame us for them, blame their parents" :lol: ).
I can see the SYL / Melvins connection, but isn't Slayer archetypical 80s thrash metal, which would use faster tempos and flashier guitar?

Not sure what you mean by this. I was just saying i still liked them rather than implying there was a connection between them and Godflesh. Probably time they packed it in now though.

Raawwwr!

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Sun Jun 29, 2014 18:17

Korn infamously coined the term "the Bungle chord" which I believe was simply a tritone with the added root octave.

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Sun Jun 29, 2014 18:24

All this talk of metal reminds me that i've never listened to any Meshuggah. Are they worth checking out and if so what?

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sun Jun 29, 2014 18:35

Mr Technique wrote:Korn infamously coined the term "the Bungle chord" which I believe was simply a tritone with the added root octave.

And don't just blame their parents, blame their music teachers :eeeek:

The Hendrix chord -- a dominant 7th with an added minor 10th, making it simultaneously major and minor -- is a bit crunkier, even if it's only used in context as a tonic sub.

Bob

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sun Jun 29, 2014 18:51

Bubby wrote:All this talk of metal reminds me that i've never listened to any Meshuggah. Are they worth checking out and if so what?

Meshuggah is murderously influential (recall those DT lyrics) and put the whole "extreme metal" genre on the map in the early 90s. I've collected Destroy Erase Improve and Nothing and I like both of them well enough (their vocals are the only death metal grunts I've ever heard where you can pretty much understand the lyrics even in full-blown growl mode) but I like tech death (Arctopus, Blotted Science) and brutal prog (Flying Luttenbachers) a bit more.

They profoundly influenced math metal even though they never really used odd meter because everything they do is polyrhythmic -- drums don't match up evenly with guitar riffs.

Bob

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 23:47

the sound of my heart breaking :(
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Sun Jun 29, 2014 23:55

Oh dear.

Is someone fvcking you around?

Here's something i often reach for when things are in the shitter - Mountain Goats Get Lonely.

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 01:25

Bubby wrote:Oh dear.

Is someone fvcking you around?

Here's something i often reach for when things are in the shitter - Mountain Goats Get Lonely.

Nice, thank you...
Right now I think that these Of Montreal song perfectly express my feelings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3RAI8Ntamw

The past is a grotesque animal
And in its eyes you see
How completely wrong you can be
How completely wrong you can be

The sun is out, it melts the snow that fell yesterday
Makes you wonder why it bothered

I fell in love with the first cute girl that I met
Who could appreciate Georges Bataille
Standing at Swedish festival discussing "Story of the Eye"
Discussing "Story of the Eye"

It's so embarrassing to need someone like I do you
How can I explain, I need you here and not here too
How can I explain, I need you here and not here too

I'm flunking out, I'm flunking out, I'm gone, I'm just gone
But at least I author my own disaster
At least I author my own disaster

Performance breakdown and I don't want to hear it
I'm just not available
Things could be different but they're not
Things could be different but they're not

The mousy girl screams, "Violence! Violence!"
The mousy girl screams, "Violence! Violence!"
She gets hysterical because they're both so mean
And it's my favorite scene
But the cruelty's so predictable
It makes you sad on the stage
Though our love project has so much potential
But it's like we weren't made for this world
(Though I wouldn't really want to meet someone who was)

Do I have to scream in your face?
I've been dodging lamps and vegetables
Throw it all in my face, I don't care

Let's just have some fun
Let's tear this shit apart
Let's tear the fvcking house apart
Let's tear our fvcking bodies apart
But let's just have some fun

Somehow you've red-rovered the gestapo circling my heart
And nothing can defeat you
No death, no ugly world

You've lived so brightly
You've altered everything
I find myself searching for old selves
While speeding forward through the plate glass of maturing cells

I've played the unraveler, the parhelion
But even apocalypse is fleeting
There's no death, no ugly world

Sometimes I wonder if you're mythologizing me like I do you
Mythologizing me like I do you

We want our film to be beautiful, not realistic
Perceive me in the radiance of terror dreams
And you can betray me
You can, you can betray me

But teach me something wonderful
Crown my head, crowd my head
With your lilting effects
Project your fears on to me, I need to view them
See, there's nothing to them
I promise you, there's nothing to them

I'm so touched by your goodness
You make me feel so criminal
How do you keep it together?
I'm all, all unraveled

But you know, no matter where we are
We're always touching by underground wires

I've explored you with the detachment of an analyst
But most nights we've raided the same kingdoms
And none of our secrets are physical
None of our secrets are physical
None of our secrets are physical now
Last edited by Sterbus on Mon Jun 30, 2014 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/