What did you listen to today ?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

psparky27

Re: What did you listen to today ?

Postby psparky27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 07:15

Snardbafulator wrote:

Well with all due respect, and bearing in mind that we're only talking about my personal tastes here, I find this unutterably horrible -- the sine qua non of everything I hated about 80s radio music. Stylistically it's New Romantic -- aka white British disco. I hear echoes of everything in it; Kate Bush (side one of Hounds of Love), The Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode and on and on and on. There's zero originality or development. It's a static club music backdrop.

Actually, most of those other bands I compared them to are much better than this ...
I think you might be missing the point by associating the The with such mainstream bands. They were never mainstream and I am sure Frank Want would not agree with you.

Well, I just wiki'ed The The and I am indeed. They're not a mainstream pop band, they're a pretentious arty solo pop project which actually roped in some amazing musicians to do sessions (Danny Thompson of Pentangle, Vinnie Coliauta of Zappa). But they still aimed at chart hits and my likening them to the stuff I did, going by this track, wasn't far off the mark.

Bob

Wow some one needs to get of their high horse. Yep you have confirmed your taste in music is slightly pretentious too :) The fact you have to get your opinion from wiki really does show how easily influenced you are and cant make up your own mind.

The the was very rarely in the charts! Any type of charts for that matter and you certainly wouldn't hear them in dance clubs? Again you are missing the point. I think its a little too subtle for you . :roll:

And yes it is just your taste. Not that i would say Zappa is pretentious .......

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 07:21

Snardbafulator wrote:It's not a "rule" (goodness), just that I think the purpose here when we're talking about music is to share it. I feel bad for Mr. Minnow who wrote a couple posts here about classical music but couldn't find any links for it, so I had to exclude him from my roundup here.

Bob

It might worthwhile for you to revist this thread from the beginning. I know youtube was not as promenant back when this started in 2006 but the actual purpose was just to get a flavour of some of the stuff people listened too. From frostys liking of nightmare before christmas to many many mentions of Zappa. You didnt have to link anything to prove how "muso" you are or even go into much depth of the quality of the music (unless it was explaining why you liked some dodgy music)

Still this is more to your liking and keeping the forum alive.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sat Jun 28, 2014 07:23

I get my facts from Wikipedia (if they're not disconfirmed by a more reliable source).

My opinions are my own :mrgreen:

If you'll look at the wiki article on The The, you'll see that they've charted pretty regularly.

Anyway, this is one of the best threads on the Nest and I won't allow myself to be trolled on it.

You're absolutely free to vigorously disagree with my musical opinions. Many here do :o

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 07:36

Snardbafulator wrote:I get my facts from Wikipedia (if they're not disconfirmed by a more reliable source).

My opinions are my own :mrgreen:

If you'll look at the wiki article on The The, you'll see that they've charted pretty regularly.

Anyway, this is one of the best threads on the Nest and I won't allow myself to be trolled on it.

You're absolutely free to vigorously disagree with my musical opinions. Many here do :o

Bob

But your comments are made from what you read on wiki which mean your opinions are biased towards what someone else has put?

Not wanting to split hairs but if you tack the average of the 36 chart single entries (not even taking into acount the ones that didnt chart after release) you are talking an average of number 41!

Even the album only average about 22/23 (sorry to early to be more accurate from just my head). I suppose the reason any band releases records is to make money to support their music.

Clearly not aimed for chart success unlike tears for fears duran duran etc etc !

Come on you can do better than this !

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 07:37

Snardbafulator wrote:Anyway, this is one of the best threads on the Nest and I won't allow myself to be trolled on it.

Bob

The thread is not here to agree or disagree with anyones musical opinion just to know what you listened to today ! So what did you listen to today then?

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sat Jun 28, 2014 07:52

psparky27 wrote:I suppose the reason any band releases records is to make money to support their music.

Nearly all the music I've been most into since the 90s has never charted at all. The only music I've collected digitally that charted would be Tool's Lateralus and Kate Bush.

Oh, and Cardiacs, since you'd have to count their minor hit with Is This The Life?
So what did you listen to today then?

That enormous thread that I just posted where I listened to everybody's music -- including stuff I ordinarily wouldn't, like the Everly Brothers, Subhumans and Godflesh. Just for discipline 8)

I've discovered a bunch of potential new favorites I'm going to have to collect now ...

Bob

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 07:56

Snardbafulator wrote:
psparky27 wrote:I suppose the reason any band releases records is to make money to support their music.

Nearly all the music I've been most into since the 90s has never charted at all. The only music I've collected digitally that charted would be Tool's Lateralus and Kate Bush.

Oh, and Cardiacs, since you'd have to count their minor hit with Is This The Life?

That enormous thread that I just posted where I listened to everybody's music -- including stuff I ordinarily wouldn't, like the Everly Brothers, Subhumans and Godflesh. Just for discipline 8)

I've discovered a bunch of potential new favorites I'm going to have to collect now ...

Bob

Seems John Doran thinks its unique !

http://thequietus.com/articles/15523-matt-johnson-interview-soul-mining-the-the

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 07:57

Snardbafulator wrote:

Bob

No but what did you listen to that wasnt "everybody elses" music?

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sat Jun 28, 2014 08:07

psparky27 wrote:Seems John Doran thinks its unique !

Good for him. What did I just say about my opinion being my own? :shock:

Albert Marcoeur, Idiot Flesh and perhaps PoiL have now become my music, too :mrgreen:

Bob

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 08:16

Snardbafulator wrote:
psparky27 wrote:Seems John Doran thinks its unique !

Good for him. What did I just say about my opinion being my own? :shock:

Albert Marcoeur, Idiot Flesh and perhaps PoiL have now become my music, too :mrgreen:

Bob

thats what opinions are ...your own ! :roll:

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 08:19

Snardbafulator wrote:

Well with all due respect, and bearing in mind that we're only talking about my personal tastes here, I find this unutterably horrible -- the sine qua non of everything I hated about 80s radio music. Stylistically it's New Romantic -- aka white British disco. I hear echoes of everything in it; Kate Bush (side one of Hounds of Love), The Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode and on and on and on. There's zero originality or development. It's a static club music backdrop.

Actually, most of those other bands I compared them to are much better than this ...
I think you might be missing the point by associating the The with such mainstream bands. They were never mainstream and I am sure Frank Want would not agree with you.

Well, I just wiki'ed The The and I am indeed. They're not a mainstream pop band, they're a pretentious arty solo pop project which actually roped in some amazing musicians to do sessions (Danny Thompson of Pentangle, Vinnie Coliauta of Zappa). But they still aimed at chart hits and my likening them to the stuff I did, going by this track, wasn't far off the mark.

Bob

The fewer the facts..... the stronger the opinion!

harveylime
Bronze Cardiac

Postby harveylime » Sat Jun 28, 2014 09:05

Subhumans go by "anarcho-punk" or hardcore or something...the "post-punk" label usually has more to do with the sound than the year released. In a similar but more weird and morbid vein, I just listened to Cacophony by Rudimentary Peni. Bizarre concept album about H.P. Lovecraft, apparently recorded before the frontman suffered some type of psychotic breakdown and thought he was a pope. Lots of variety and the band messes with time signatures a bit (although they had occasionally before this album, such as on the masterful When You Are a Martian Church).

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:14

harveylime wrote:Subhumans go by "anarcho-punk" or hardcore or something...

Yeah I saw that on the 'pedia. Anarcho-punk makes sense, but might these guys be a little too "gentle" for hardcore -- or have more of a sense of humor? I tend to think of blistering tempos, angrier, barely coherent vocals and fuzzier (but not metal) guitars when I think of hardcore.
the "post-punk" label usually has more to do with the sound than the year released.

I've kind of noticed. The whole "post" prefix seems kind of incoherent, all the moreso if you try to detach it from history. I mean, we all know what "postwar" means, right? It means after WW2, not some vague "mood" that could have happened before the war or something ...

I've seen Oceansize described as "post rock." WTF does that even mean? This is a band with three guitars, bass and drums. Is this just a way to avoid saying "prog" or "art rock?" And Faraquet has been described as "post hardcore" which only makes sense if you compare them to the other bands on their label Dischord (especially Fugazi), but not more generally. Faraquet are math rock -- although granted much different than other flavors of math rock.
In a similar but more weird and morbid vein, I just listened to Cacophony by Rudimentary Peni. Bizarre concept album about H.P. Lovecraft, apparently recorded before the frontman suffered some type of psychotic breakdown and thought he was a pope. Lots of variety and the band messes with time signatures a bit (although they had occasionally before this album, such as on the masterful When You Are a Martian Church).

I had no idea Rudimentary Peni were contemporaries of Crass and Subhumans. I'm listening to all of this -- and they're certainly more interesting than Subhumans -- but they're still a bit ... rudimentary for my admittedly decadent tastes. Makes me want to listen to Nils Frykdahl.

Bob

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:56

The The are a band i've not listened to much, but i do really like Burning Blue Soul which is a great mix of the experimental and the tuneful.

Subhumans - Live In A Dive. Every song is fuckin' raucous, blistering sing-a-long anarcho punk. Lets gob.

Godflesh weren't Grindcore, that's all blast beats and early Napalm Death*, Brutal Truth, Agoraphobic Nosebleed etc... Don't know if you'd call it sludge or industrial or metal or noise rock or does it matter eh?. I think Godflesh had more in common with Swans, a band i also wouldn't be in a rush to classify.

They are one of the few "heavy" bands i'd still listen to (along with Slayer, Devin Townsend/SYL, and the Melvins)

* although Justin Broadrick from Godflesh was in ND in the early-mid 80's.

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Sat Jun 28, 2014 13:22

Bubby wrote:along with Slayer

Raawwwr!
My sister bought me one of these last Christmas:
Haven't listened to much new music recently, apart from the new Snares and School of Language albums. Both a little disappointing, truth be told.
I was given a free ticket to Download festival earlier this month so I've been reliving my metal youth for the last few weeks. Was surprisingly entertained by *cough* Status Quo *cough* while I was there.