What you Reading at the mo?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Stevefarcue
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Stevefarcue » Mon Dec 03, 2007 18:23

Trying to get through Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. Started off great, now its like wading through quick sand.

Someone tell me its gonna get better.

Not just the book, everything.

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Mon Dec 03, 2007 18:39

Stevefarcue wrote:Someone tell me its gonna get better.

Fingers crossed Steve... :D

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Mon Dec 03, 2007 18:43

yeah steve,hang in there mate.

steve adams
big dogs knob

Postby steve adams » Mon Dec 03, 2007 21:22

Stevefarcue wrote:Trying to get through Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. Started off great, now its like wading through quick sand.

steve having read this book a tip for you
skip the philosophy stuff read the story
the story makes sense
and im not gonna say what happens
in it
just to say
the book does raise questions
about philosphy and the meaning of life,
however please please please, promise me
stay away from any philosphy schools of
enlightenment
tony robbins /self help gurus
i got sucked into the create your own life etc etc crap, and i saw the psychological damaged caused,
i must admit it works
and this is the worrying thing (its called brain washing :wink: )and also a lot of these people are not properly trained
and if i see that cvnt andy harrington again(the bloke whose sessions i went to)
i will get done for ABH (and as people know im quite a friendly guy)
(sorry for the swearing, but people like him, tony robbins
and ramtha, plus the landmark education people should be shot at sight :evil: :evil: :evil: )
get well soon tim smith !!!

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Mon Dec 03, 2007 23:06

Oi, what's wrong with Tony Robinson? How much harm can Baldrick do with a trowel ... oh.

Stevefarcue wrote:Not just the book, everything.

Heheh, no can do boss, no can do.

I mentioned this elsewhere but only to make a point :roll: so I'll mention it again here - Little Green Man by Simon Armitage. I see the Amazon reviews are mixed, ho hum, I thought it was bloody great until the end, and I've never read an ending I liked, so. If you consider yourself a seventies child, as I believe many of us old scrotes do, it's particularly strong.

mutlien
Silver Cardiac

Postby mutlien » Tue Dec 04, 2007 02:41

Greyhound wrote:
mutlien wrote:I'm reading 'His Dark Materials'.... in fairness, I've been trying to get through this monstrosity for 4 months - I really don't know why I'm bothering! I quite like the story, however the writing is poor as poor can be.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good read? I've quite a wide variety of interests so something different...

I just finished reading HDM for the second time (Had to get another read in so I can be hyper-critical of the forthcoming film(s)). I personally love this not-really-for-kidz-it's-for-us-grown-ups-innit trilogy. My only gripe was that I thought the ending was a bit rushed.

If you like fantasy fiction I recommend The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. It's set a million years in the future and is about a disgraced torturer who's exiled from his guild 'cause he went and fell in love with one of his victims. Many adventures ensue.

I'm reading One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night by Christopher Brookmyre, 'cause all his books are consistantly hilarious.

The book of the new sun was excellent - I'll have to dig those out again. Have you tried the Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix? That's a good 'un...
The ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

montoid
Cardiacs Expert

Postby montoid » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:59

:) Longitude by Dava Sobel

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Tue Dec 04, 2007 13:19

mutlien wrote:The book of the new sun was excellent - I'll have to dig those out again. Have you tried the Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix? That's a good 'un...

No, haven't heard of that. I'll certainly go and check it out though. I seem to be reading a lot of trilogy's (should that be trilogies?) lately, in fact the number 3 keeps cropping up in my life...hmm, I'll have to consult the oracle.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Tue Dec 04, 2007 13:20

I've usually got a pile and occasionally i'll finish one, even then some might stick around. One is The Rings of Saturn by W G Sebald, about going about in East Anglia mainly, written in German and translated into English. He died in a car crash a few years ago. He'll go on about something or somewhere for a while that you're not interested in, without paragraphs, then it will change into being about something that's really interesting and incredibly well put. Relentless and devilish.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rings-Saturn-W- ... 862&sr=8-1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.G._Sebald

higgy
All Spectacular

Postby higgy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 13:27

Currently reading "Germinale" (by Zola). I am making slow progress, but this reflects on the amount of time I dedicate - not the book. It's a classic. Very good indeed.

The last book I read, which I also love is His Dark Materials (check Carli's thread on Daemons elsewhere for confirmation) and am going to see a preview tomorrow....

(presently)
#--------------------------------------------------------#
http://www.regensis-music.co.uk
#--------------------------------------------------------#

Stevefarcue
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Stevefarcue » Tue Dec 04, 2007 13:36

steve adams wrote:
Stevefarcue wrote:Trying to get through Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. Started off great, now its like wading through quick sand.

steve having read this book a tip for you
skip the philosophy stuff read the story
the story makes sense
and im not gonna say what happens
in it
just to say
the book does raise questions
about philosphy and the meaning of life,
however please please please, promise me
stay away from any philosphy schools of
enlightenment
tony robbins /self help gurus
i got sucked into the create your own life etc etc crap, and i saw the psychological damaged caused,
i must admit it works
and this is the worrying thing (its called brain washing :wink: )and also a lot of these people are not properly trained
and if i see that cvnt andy harrington again(the bloke whose sessions i went to)
i will get done for ABH (and as people know im quite a friendly guy)
(sorry for the swearing, but people like him, tony robbins
and ramtha, plus the landmark education people should be shot at sight :evil: :evil: :evil: )

Thanks for the tip Steve. I will keep going with the book, its just about getting interesting again now.
Is this create your own life stuff like cosmic ordering?
The universe is your buddy kind of affair?

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue Dec 04, 2007 13:42

:roll: It's amazing the hoops people jump through these days in order not to use words like God and Pray.

Stevefarcue
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Stevefarcue » Tue Dec 04, 2007 13:49

Yes i think its one and the same too, but God isnt new age enough is he? He really oughta get with the times. I mean, Bethlehem. Its just not hip enough is it?

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Tue Dec 04, 2007 14:17

I have a big problem. I would really love to read books, but I can't. It's physically impossible for me to stay concentrated for more than one minute. I hate that!

steve adams
big dogs knob

Postby steve adams » Tue Dec 04, 2007 14:20

Stevefarcue wrote:
steve adams wrote:
Stevefarcue wrote:Thanks for the tip Steve. I will keep going with the book, its just about getting interesting again now.
Is this create your own life stuff like cosmic ordering?
The universe is your buddy kind of affair?

yep you have got it in one,
yeah i agree with it to a certain extent,
however you have to ask yourself
if say for example you were to have a accident(i hope not)
was that you that caused it by wishing it to happen,
using your subconsious mind,
no it bloody wasnt it was an accident
:wink: :)
if you want to know more about this i can recomend this site
http://www.rickross.com
get well soon tim smith !!!