Well Done Morrissey - N.M.E, Goodbye & Good Riddance!

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

higgy
All Spectacular

Postby higgy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 01:38

abnego wrote:...well, the word 'parasite' is a more accurate description of the behaviour of the super rich than of those on benefits...

Absolutely!

Stoneage Dinosaurs wrote:And as long as we've got extreme Islamic fundamentalist nutters like those in Sudan I don't think anyone is in a position to question or criticize the rights & wrongs of free political thought in the UK.

<snip>

And when I buy a new teddy bear I'm going to call it Jesus!

My daughter's school (the closest state funded school) allocates places on the basis of how often you go to church.

How is that acceptable?

My daughter, who has already adopted my atheeist (i.e. unconvinced) view on all religions is now persuading her classmates that it's all bonkers. She prefers instead to believe in Santa and Fairies. Just as likely I reckon, and a damn sight more fun!
#--------------------------------------------------------#
http://www.regensis-music.co.uk

mutlien
Silver Cardiac

Postby mutlien » Sat Dec 01, 2007 01:50

My daughter, who has already adopted my atheeist (i.e. unconvinced) view on all religions is now persuading her classmates that it's all bonkers. She prefers instead to believe in Santa and Fairies. Just as likely I reckon, and a damn sight more fun

Definitely. And WTF is all this about teddy bears / teachers / death-sentences etc.

I though Cardiacs were mad...turns out thems is quite sane compared to the rest of this big ol' watery world :roll:
The ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

higgy
All Spectacular

Postby higgy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:01

mutlien wrote:When I die, I want it to be peaceful - just like my Grandad. Not screaming in utter terror like his passengers.

Mutlien, where'd you get your sig? I remember coming across that quote in the early days of the internet, I think.

- Nick.

plebo
New fish

Postby plebo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:07

After an extremely bad patch the NME did start to get better a couple of years ago. But then in the last year they seem to have completely regressed into the Smash Hits of today and are now clearly aimed at the teenage market. To be fair to them, they had to do something to halt the declining circulation, so there is probably a fair bit of pressure from the publishers to go for a different target audience. Its just a shame there there is no other music weekly any more for the rest of us!

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:21

higgy wrote:
mutlien wrote:When I die, I want it to be peaceful - just like my Grandad. Not screaming in utter terror like his passengers.

Mutlien, where'd you get your sig? I remember coming across that quote in the early days of the internet, I think.

I think it's a Bob Monkhouse original.

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:31

Made Of Worms wrote:
higgy wrote:

I think it's a Bob Monkhouse original.

Yup... :D

mutlien
Silver Cardiac

Postby mutlien » Sat Dec 01, 2007 14:19

Truth be told - I've no idea where it comes from! I remember reading it on the net a long time ago and thinking 'I'm going to use that sometime' however, I couldn't remember the exact wording so just put what I thought it was!

Now I've been well and truly rumbled - it may be time to make another change... :twisted:

higgy
All Spectacular

Postby higgy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 19:11

mutlien wrote:Truth be told - I've no idea where it comes from! I remember reading it on the net a long time ago and thinking 'I'm going to use that sometime' however, I couldn't remember the exact wording so just put what I thought it was!

When I heard it, it was: "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers".

How about using this one instead:- "apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

mutlien
Silver Cardiac

Postby mutlien » Sat Dec 01, 2007 19:14

higgy wrote:
mutlien wrote:Truth be told - I've no idea where it comes from! I remember reading it on the net a long time ago and thinking 'I'm going to use that sometime' however, I couldn't remember the exact wording so just put what I thought it was!

When I heard it, it was: "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers".

How about using this one instead:- "apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Genius! :lol:

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sat Dec 01, 2007 20:26

Ever seen this little lot of probably half-correct shpooky conshpirashy?

1) Lincoln was elected in 1860, Kennedy in 1960, 100 years apart

2) Both men were deeply involved in civil rights for African Americans.

3) Both men were assassinated on a Friday, in the presence of their wives.

4) Each wife had lost a child while living at the White House.

5) Both men were killed by a bullet that entered the head from behind.

6) Lincoln was killed in Ford's Theater. Kennedy met his death while riding in a Lincoln convertible made by Ford.

7) Both men were succeeded by vice-presidents named Johnson who were southern Democrats and former senators.

8) (Heh) Andrew Johnson was born in 1808. Lyndon Johnson was born in 1908, exactly one hundred years later.

9) The first name of Lincoln's private secretary was John, the last name of Kennedy's private secretary was Lincoln.

10) John Wilkes Booth was born in 1839 [according to some sources] Lee Harvey Oswald was born in 1939, one hundred years later.

11) Both assassins were Southerners who held extremist views.

12) Both assassins were murdered before they could be brought to trial.

13) Booth shot Lincoln in a theater and fled to a warehouse. Oswald shot Kennedy from a warehouse and fled to a theater.

14) LlNCOLN and KENNEDY each has 7 letters.

15) ANDREW JOHNSON and LYNDON JOHNSON each has 13 letters.

16) JOHN WlLKES BOOTH and LEE HARVEY OSWALD each has 15 letters.

17) A Lincoln staffer Miss Kennedy told him not to go to the Theater. A Kennedy staffer Miss Lincoln told him not to go to Dallas.

Some are a bit shit aren't they. Some are good though. More at home in Bizarre Facts I guess, ah well.

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Sat Dec 01, 2007 22:26

Stewart Lee does a good one
"I asked my granddad, what's the worst thing about growing old? and he told me `It's seeing all your old friends, slowly dying one by one`
I replied `Yes grandad, but you fed them those berries`"

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:51

steve adams wrote:call me an idealist, but you should be able to go where you want in the world,
because everyone is the same
basically,except men and women body wise
but even so, we all want the same thing
this is why i like posing for spencer tunick when i can afford
the flights
because we are all the same without our clothes on :wink: :)

Sorry Steve but that is idealism and oversimplification and perhaps even naivety.

No, we do not all want the same things. I do not want Sharia law.
No, we are not all the same. My mind doesn't tell me that I should kill a woman because she allowed a toy to be called Muhammed.

All cultures are different!

And I odn't think people should be allowed to go anywhere in the world.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:55

higgy wrote:
abnego wrote:...well, the word 'parasite' is a more accurate description of the behaviour of the super rich than of those on benefits...

Absolutely!

Stoneage Dinosaurs wrote:And as long as we've got extreme Islamic fundamentalist nutters like those in Sudan I don't think anyone is in a position to question or criticize the rights & wrongs of free political thought in the UK.

<snip>

And when I buy a new teddy bear I'm going to call it Jesus!

My daughter's school (the closest state funded school) allocates places on the basis of how often you go to church.

How is that acceptable?

My daughter, who has already adopted my atheeist (i.e. unconvinced) view on all religions is now persuading her classmates that it's all bonkers. She prefers instead to believe in Santa and Fairies. Just as likely I reckon, and a damn sight more fun!

It isn't acceptable at all. And if by you comment you think I'm some kind of rabid Christian then think again.

All religions should be outlawed in the western world as far as I'm concerned.

Asia and Africa can do what thay want I don't give ah shit! Nothing we in the west do or say is going to make them change, so why bother anymore!

higgy
All Spectacular

Postby higgy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:58

Stoneage Dinosaurs wrote:All religions should be outlawed in the western world as far as I'm concerned.

There are lots of views I don't hold - but I respect the right of others to hold them - no matter how stupid they may be.

I am utterly unconvinced by all faith-based belief systems. I share your frustration with what we both apparently consider to be irrational and unjust. We deal with things differently though it seems.

(No I didn't assume that you were a Christian - I don't know why you would assume that I did)

Poor Soldier
Silver Cardiac

Postby Poor Soldier » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:21

abnego wrote:Image

What's wrong with being racy?
Despite all my charms, while I slept etc. etc. etc...