What game did you play today ?

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Re: What game did you play today ?

Postby Greyhound » Fri Apr 11, 2014 02:44

Started Thief today. I like it so far. I'm only on chapter 3 so I haven't done much. Only a couple of annoyances: NPC voices are misplaced - the voice of a guard stood 100 metres away sounds like he's stood behind me. I'm finding it hard to work out which objects I can climb and which are just set dressing but I'm sure that'll get easier. Overall, I'm impressed. I won't make a Dishonored comparison until I've completed it.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 02:11

I played snide, completed it with in 4 days. Had its tricky bits bit overall was fairly easy :P

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:10

Euro Truck Simulator 2. I don't know why this is fun, because you are literally driving a truck around Europe and it should be terrible. It makes me want a trucker hat and a steering wheel and a set of pedals and two more monitors and furry dice, none of which I'm daft enough to buy. Apparently there's an American version coming out. It sounds Amazing.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Thu Apr 17, 2014 14:17

Thanks for the Riptide tip there Greyhound, yup, perfectly enjoyable :axe: type stuff.

(Laughable plot, often laughable voice acting, good scary sound design, lovely looking, slightly haphazard scary uncontrol, so yeah, just like the first game, which seems to have been the only real complaint about it, so if you really enjoyed the first game...)

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Sat Apr 19, 2014 02:45

Made Of Worms wrote:Laughable plot, often laughable voice acting, good scary sound design, lovely looking, slightly haphazard scary uncontrol [...] so if you really enjoyed the first game...

Yup, exactly that. I really liked the parts where you had to plan how far you could explore before you needed to return to the safety of one of the hubs. Very nervy at times, for me. It was the often-repeated journey back to the safety of the cinema that filled me with most dread - those f**king screamers!!!

Very impressed with Thief - I have 2 chapters to go and I think I've done all the side missions - the asylum mission and the Baron's house mission have been the highlight so far. I think Dishonored is less linear and offers more variety in terms of gameplay, but, as similar as they both are, I think they both stand up on their own merits.
It seems that the gaming press got it wrong, then...as they have with Trials Fusion. Universal acclaim, and yet the game is f**king awful. Everything that was great about Trials Evolution has been "casual-ised". Never have I been so disappointed with a sequel to a game. 3/10 at best.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sat Apr 19, 2014 03:12

Oh I'm really glad you've appreciated Thief, it's scary trumpeting a game that's been critically hammered and has such self-evident flaws. Are you playing oldschool?

I found out that Jordan Thomas, designer of the magnificent Fort Frolic in Bioshock, also did Cradle Asylum in Thief: Deadly Shadows, which is a standout level in the whole series, and which obviously inspired the Asylum in Thi4f.

I also played through and thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock 2 and its DLC recently, which again I'd been put off previously by listening to the critics. Again Mr Thomas had a major role, and I now believe Ken Levine tacitly approved of it, because Infinite borrowed from it in a number of places.

I'm only just heading off down the tunnels in Riptide, as I'm being rather thorough (and staying employed, and doing Lego Marvel with Worms Jnr) so the joys of the city, the cinema and the screamers are still ahead of me.

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Sun Apr 20, 2014 02:36

Made Of Worms wrote:Are you playing oldschool?

I'm new to the series so I'm playing it through on "normal" difficulty first. I haven't bought any of the perks, though, and I've managed to complete most missions without knocking out/killing anyone. I definitely plan to have another pop at it on master difficulty.

Fort Frolic was a highlight of Bioshock, without a doubt. I wasn't a huge fan of Bioshock 2 (and its DLC), I think the sense of awe at such a realised world had worn off. I keep meaning to have another playthrough and reassess but other games keep getting in the way.

Part 2 of the Burial at Sea DLC knocked me for six. It's hard to explain why without spoiling it, but let's just say it gives the first Bioshock game a whole new meaning. And for that reason alone it's a "must buy" for any fan of the series (along with part 1, obviously).

Made Of Worms wrote:the cinema and the screamers are still ahead of me.

Watch your back, it's hell out there.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Thu Apr 24, 2014 18:49

Done all that now. It was fun.

Goodness gracious, I hadn't realised I bought the Infinite season pass from the get-go, so I've had the Burial at Seas all along! Just played them and they are stunning, although too short for anyone of meagre means to spend £24 on. I saw one reviewer say he blubbed a little bit at the end; well because I'm contrary or something I actually welled up at the beginning, seeing Elizabeth finally in her idyll (albeit very fromagey), and knowing for sure it'd all turn to shit again.

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Fri Apr 25, 2014 02:17

Yeah, I think I got something in my eye at that bit. I've always liked that Édith Piaf track, it suited the game well. Found myself humming it for days afterwards.
I wonder if Mr Levine had that story arc planned all along or if he made it up as he went along?

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:41

Mostly (b) I reckon. I think some things in Infinite had the best of intentions but got lost on the cutting room floor, and he visibly wanted to clear them up, more so in the case of Daisy Fitzroy than in the case of the Boys of Silence for instance. It was retro-woven very cleverly though.

Dark Souls II now. Bleedin'ell. Superb overall mechanic though isn't it. Bosses just too hard, although I've got myself to blame for playing mouse and keyboard and offline so I'm all alone.

Edit: hmm, getting weary with it now. Do each area to death, grinding away to get strong enough for the very hard boss(es). Repetetive struggle with boss(es). Repeat for next area.

Edit2: nah, giving up. It is not a single player game, it is not right to make a game so tough and then fvck up the controls and the implementation of Havok. Boo. No fun.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sat May 17, 2014 18:41

Got round to playing Resi 6 ......Its no resi 4 is it :) Still I have played worse :(

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Tue May 27, 2014 15:53

So, Watch Dogs.
Graphics are terrible on the 360 - Super Mario on the NES has better textures. Driving is ridiculously bad. I've barely scratched the surface in terms of the story and side activities but it does seem promising. Good stealth, so-so gunplay. Online hacking is a decent diversion but I can see the repetitive game of cat and mouse getting old pretty quickly.
It's early days but I did expect a bit more after all the hype.

montoid
Cardiacs Expert

Postby montoid » Tue May 27, 2014 16:26

It's early days but I did expect a bit more after all the hype.

crying out for a t-shirt design :)

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue May 27, 2014 17:02

Indeed.

I bought it too, a week or so ago when I spat the dummy with Dark Souls II and uninstalled it. Of course I subsequently reinstalled it, retrieved my save and am now well into it again :roll:. I thought Watch Dogs? wellll, why not, there's no sign of GTA V for PC, I do like stealth, I do like the odd silly break from stealth, etc. But now it's going to turn out to be pants isn't it, and anyway I like Dark Souls because you can't play it drunk.

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:12

hello all....been a while.........completed the story of watchdogs the other day.....was one of the easiest campaigns ever......lots to do in this game as the hacking side is really good fun......i seem to do well at hacking other people........found a piss easy way to get 100% hacks.......just find a truck and hide behind it......not inside it as the first thing hackee's do is check cars.......but they can't see underneath cars.....so just duck down and stay the opposite side of them via the truck.....piece of piss.......still its great fun watching them run around like headless chickens trying to find you......makes a refreshing change to COD....which i've had enough of.