Viz

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

schlep
Cardiacsy

Viz

Postby schlep » Thu Jul 19, 2007 16:26

Still going, isn't it? Played out, or still funny?
I rarely see it on newsstands anymore, this side of the pond, it's tres exxpensive when I do.
But used to read it sometimes in the 90's, I really liked the Top Tips, Letters, news stories and ~some of the comics.
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Thu Jul 19, 2007 16:40

Still going. Picked up my first one for years the other day and although it is as old and hackneyed as hell I did enjoy "Rod Hull and Emo". Throughout the strip Emo, with his lank black hair and ironic glasses, kept trying to kill himself while Rod, cheerful despite the phone not ringing with work, kept saving him. Work finally came through just as Rod fell past the window. You don't know what the hell I'm talking about do you.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Thu Jul 19, 2007 16:42

Oddly, I do!

I have no idea where I've seen these reprobates, but I have.

Damian
All Spectacular

Postby Damian » Thu Jul 19, 2007 17:01

I subscribe to it. Got a free mug and everything.

I actually never find the Profanisaurus that funny but apart from that it's still good. Letters page is the best bit...

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 17:30

Made Of Worms wrote:Still going. Picked up my first one for years the other day and although it is as old and hackneyed as hell I did enjoy "Rod Hull and Emo". Throughout the strip Emo, with his lank black hair and ironic glasses, kept trying to kill himself while Rod, cheerful despite the phone not ringing with work, kept saving him. Work finally came through just as Rod fell past the window. You don't know what the hell I'm talking about do you.

I am giggling and i can't seem to stop! :lol:

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Thu Jul 19, 2007 19:52

Funnily enough, we had a debate about this over at the Free Church of Scotland's web board of all places.

Viz when it is good, is very good. When it is bad, it is embarrassing. The sell off to a company that insists on doing it once a month was a mistake. The result is garbage like "Drunken Bakers" which simply aren't funny.

It's also meant a lot of ones long past their sell by date like "Billy The Fish" are in merely as thinly disguised advertising space. As for Spoilt B*****d, the most depressing comic strip ever, one would have thought that Viz's inclusion of "Rat Boy" & "The Kewl Chix" had made them realise that joke had turned sour a decade ago.

However, whenever either of John Fordell's cartoons - "The Modern Parents" or "The Critics" are in, they are worth the cover price alone, as is the inspired "Supervillain Dad" (supervillain Dave P Sinister trying to juggle taking over the world with the usual family responsibilities - the one where he wants to become Lord Of Chaos & so needs to get some superhero to give him a reference had me in tears!).

Finbarr Saunders is usually worth a smirk - old fashioned nudge-nudge humour will always have a place in British hearts, as is the "Boys Own" antics of Jack Black & His Dog Silver. Frightening to think how "Biffa Bacon" has somehow never quite lost his relevence as well. And for some strange reason, the "Pathetic Sharks" always make me howl with laughter - I think it's imagining what their voices must be like with their prissiness!

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Thu Jul 19, 2007 20:03

Oh yeah, 'The Modern Parents' is great - the guy doesn't draw very well but he's an excellent cartoonist anyway!

I've never seen 'The Pathetic Sharks' yet. It was from reading an anecdote about Tim Smith seen wearing a Sharks t-shirt that got me thinking about Viz again.

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 20:08

I always wondered if adults read it when I was little, it's like south park, seems to be made just for kids to feel naughty. I used to read it with my friend, we would each take a character and do the voices :D I used to love finbar and the pathetic sharks and biffa bacon. The few times I've read it as a grown up, there's been about 2 laughs an issue and the rest has been a painful slog. I liked the letters page too "they say that tv cameras add 10 pounds. If that's so, how many cameras did they have on that fat fvck danny baker last night?" :D

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 20:32

i used to like Roger irrelivant and the victorian parents back when i were a lad.

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 20:44

Roger mellie, too, I always forget about him, and terry fvckwitt

ChrisLuxford
All Spectacular

Postby ChrisLuxford » Thu Jul 19, 2007 22:40

Mark Boyle wrote:Viz when it is good, is very good. When it is bad, it is embarrassing. The sell off to a company that insists on doing it once a month was a mistake. The result is garbage like "Drunken Bakers" which simply aren't funny.

I rather like the Drunken Bakers. It's the pathos of the situation that appeals. There was a somewhat unexpected installation at Tate Britain that included it. It was a room painted entirely white with a projector showing several editions of the strip with a narrator dong the voices. I can't remember whether there was anything else to it.
DANK DISPLEASURE IN EVERY WELL-MEANING GLANCE

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Thu Jul 19, 2007 23:55

Meenie wrote:i used to like Roger irrelivant and the victorian parents back when i were a lad.

Oh I feel so ashamed of myself! :shock:

How could I possibly have missed out the magnificent Roger Irrelevent, the most surreal cartoon character ever...

"And there'll be more Grandfather clock chuckles next time. Throt. Wibble. G'zoft!"

I always imagined him with the voice of Dudley Do-Right the Mountie.

Victorian Dad was a class act as well. That's the trouble with Viz though: the class acts like them played second fiddle to the one dimensional "Fat Slags", "Sid The Sexist" & the like, who were fine in very occasional doses, but not every single issue.

Fu Manchu
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Fu Manchu » Fri Jul 20, 2007 01:39

I first came across Viz in Manchester in 1985 and stuck with it (fnarr fnarr) until early this year, when I cancelled my subscription...it is a tired publication these days and well short on ideas...even the great Davey Jones (Roger Irrelevant, Major Misunderstanding, Tinribs, The Vibrating Bumface Goats) seems to be struggling for inspiration... :cry:

Good call with John Fardell (see this link...he looks totally unlike what I expected) http://www.booksfromscotland.com/Authors/John-Fardell...love his work in Viz... :D

My early faves were Brown Bottle, Norbert Colon and Biffa Bacon...and of course the magnificent Roger Mellie, who is based on a BBC North-East TV Presenter, whom Chris Donald heard f'ing and c'ing on one occasion...once CD had got over the shock, Roger Mellie was invented and the rest is history... :lol:

On a final note, the anal Mr Logic is based upon Chris and Simon Donald's older brother, as he was very like Mr Logic...it transpires that their brother suffers from Asperger's Syndrome, which explains a lot...

Quality comic that should be laid to rest... 8)