Narcotics and poisons of days gone by.

The place to talk about off topic, non-Cardiacs related stuff and topics that do not belong in another forum.

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Re: Narcotics and poisons of days gone by.

Postby Gubbins » Thu Jul 19, 2007 17:26

Made Of Worms wrote:
Gubbins wrote:Apart from dope. but that's a plant, not a drug.

:D Were you paraphrasing BrassEye there? "Many people think alcohol is a drug. It's not, it's a drink."

Haha, didn't spot that! An unintentional paraphrase. But I do believe that it isn't a drug as it grows naturally. You can walk along and go "Ooh look! cannabis!" and have it right there and then. Same with mushrooms, mescaline, DMT etc. I get annoyed when I say that and then people go "BLAH BLAH YOU HAVE TO PREPARE IT AUISDHAUHF"

Well... Yes, but that doesn't change anything. You have to prepare even the most self indulgent hippie teas and that doesn't stop them being naturally occuring substances.

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Fri Jul 20, 2007 00:01

Stevefarcue wrote:Amen to that, any of you in doubt or with an open mind, read The March Of Unreason by Dick Taverne, seriously good stuff.

Ye wot?

Surely not THE Dick Taverne - the first ever Social Democrat MP way back in 1973 at the Lincoln By Election! Ah, for by-election connoiseurs like me, a real character of old. He later joined the SDP but failed to win a seat - Labour threw everything at him whenever or wherever he stood due to their obsession with "traitors").

He's never been a fan of ideology or politics by fashion, our Dick...

Anyway, to get back on topic with poisons, let's give a big round of applause to Strychnine - the nastiest, most unpleasant way to die bar Rabies. Excruciating abdominal pains, convulsions, and your lips peeling back over your teeth in a hideous snarl, this is one to save for those people you really hate & want to suffer the tortures of the damned before death.

Alternatively, if you just want them to suffer, take your hat off to the little Black Widow spider. The venom of dear little Latroductus Mactans & her cuddle Widow cousins produces three guaranteed days of feeling that your flesh is being torn from your still living body & wishing you were dead - but you won't die, unless you are really lucky (at least, that's what you'll think at the time. :twisted:

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Fri Jul 20, 2007 01:17

Mark Boyle wrote:Alternatively, if you just want them to suffer, take your hat off to the little Black Widow spider. The venom of dear little Latroductus Mactans & her cuddle Widow cousins produces three guaranteed days of feeling that your flesh is being torn from your still living body & wishing you were dead - but you won't die, unless you are really lucky (at least, that's what you'll think at the time. :twisted:

You've got me wanting to listen to 'Welcome To My Nightmare' by Alice Cooper now... :roll:

scott
Diamond Cardiac

Postby scott » Fri Jul 20, 2007 02:51

Water is a drug.
www.myspace.com/kiteseasonImage

And now the night of weeping shall be
The morn of song

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Fri Jul 20, 2007 02:52

A flagrant disregard of the razor sharp demarcations, there.

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:36

well, drugs are only drugs as long as the wrong people are making money from it, ie not the government. thats why alcohol and tobacco are perfectly healthy, normal and legal. Queen Victoria used to prescribe cannabis for period pains, but nowadays there's no tax on it, so its illegal.
anyway, the best drug of all make syou happy, tastes nice, make you have that lovely buzz of wellbeing and actually cures depression and all other sorts of nasty emotional issues, and they have made a drink out of it as well.

i am ofcourse talking about chocolate heheheh
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:48

frostbyte wrote:anyway, the best drug of all make syou happy, tastes nice, make you have that lovely buzz of wellbeing and actually cures depression and all other sorts of nasty emotional issues, and they have made a drink out of it as well.

i am ofcourse talking about chocolate heheheh

...and i was sure it was Marmite for a minute. :D

Stevefarcue
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Stevefarcue » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:49

Mark Boyle wrote:
Stevefarcue wrote:Amen to that, any of you in doubt or with an open mind, read The March Of Unreason by Dick Taverne, seriously good stuff.

Ye wot?

Surely not THE Dick Taverne - the first ever Social Democrat MP way back in 1973 at the Lincoln By Election! Ah, for by-election connoiseurs like me, a real character of old. He later joined the SDP but failed to win a seat - Labour threw everything at him whenever or wherever he stood due to their obsession with "traitors").

He's never been a fan of ideology or politics by fashion, our Dick...
:twisted:

I never knew there were by-election connoiseurs out there......but yes, it's the same Mr Taverne.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Re: Narcotics and poisons of days gone by.

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:07

Gubbins wrote:
Made Of Worms wrote:
Gubbins wrote:Apart from dope. but that's a plant, not a drug.

Yea, Poppies are just flowers, Coca leaves are just leaves from a plant, and Hemp is just a plant (for the record Hemp is the plant, cannabis is the drug extracted from it. Cannabis is not the name of the plant) All growing naturally, no one is disputing that. But you're objecting to something that isn't even been stated, no one here is calling plants drugs. It is that which is extraceted from plants to produce natural narcotics (e.g. cannabis) or synthesised drugs (e.g. medicines like Aspirin) either illegally or by pharmaceutical companies. Don't forget that almost all tried and tested pharmaceutical medicines are synthesised from naturally occurring narcotics.

Drug is an unfortunate word because it is misunderstood and misued so often. People should be more specific.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:09

frostbyte wrote:well, drugs are only drugs as long as the wrong people are making money from it, ie not the government. thats why alcohol and tobacco are perfectly healthy, normal and legal.

Exactly & a good example of the slang nature and catch all nature of the word drug. It can apply to anything!

I mean the DEA in the US isn't called the Narcotics or Pharmaceuticals or Medicine Enforcement Agency!

And on the same line of thinking that is why the DEA doesn't cover alcohol and tobacco, heaven forbid that Americans should consider alcohol and tobacco as drugs. There's too much money and businees invested in them. So until further notice the ATF (US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to give it its full and correct name) will police those two dangerous substances! :wink:
And they must be very dangerous because they're together with firearms & explosives. Surely this must be public safety ageny number one in the US! :wink: :wink:

WACO? Religion? Perhaps they should be called the ATFR :wink:

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:11

Stoneage Dinosaurs wrote:I mean the DEA in the US isn't called the Narcotics or Pharmaceuticals or Medicine Enforcement Agency!

Yeah but they buy booze and guns (and cigs?) from drug stores don't they? :)

frostbyte wrote:anyway, the best drug of all make syou happy, tastes nice, make you have that lovely buzz of wellbeing and actually cures depression and all other sorts of nasty emotional issues ...

Sex.
frostbyte wrote:... and they have made a drink out of it as well.

Ah. Chocolate, sex, PEA and tryptophan. I'm interested in the way that - with drugs, plants, narcotics, medicine - half the time the chemical which does the business is made by you and your glands in response to the drug taken, rather than the drug taken actually having any direct effect. I believe this is true of lysergic acid for example. I'm on shaky ground here, actual-facts-known-wise. Mmm, sex drink.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:16

Made Of Worms wrote:
Stoneage Dinosaurs wrote:I mean the DEA in the US isn't called the Narcotics or Pharmaceuticals or Medicine Enforcement Agency!

Yeah but they buy booze and guns (and cigs?) from drug stores don't they? :)

Exactly, so you see, they are all drugs like I said to begin with! And maybe there is hope for the USA! :wink:

Maybe they just have one super bureau called DAFT (drugs, alcohol, firearms and tobacco) now wouldn't that be fitting, or DAFT? ;)