Cassette version of Extra Special Oceanlandworld

The place to discuss Cardiacs memorabilia, rarities, and share pictures of collectible items

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

wilson
Bronze Cardiac

Cassette version of Extra Special Oceanlandworld

Postby wilson » Tue Sep 13, 2016 17:30

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Tim said that initially Oceanlandworld was sold on cassette at gigs to raise 'pocket money' as he was skint at the time.

Can anyone confirm for me exactly when?

I am imagining it would have been sometime shortly after the 1992 debacle with Rough Trade and their distributing of Heaven Born and Ever Bright, and before its first release on CD in 1995.

The liner notes for the CD make the claim for it being written over a couple of years around 1989, but in the pocket money quote interview Tim claims it was thrown together quickly with a week or so as a fund raiser.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Thu Sep 15, 2016 17:54

'Thrown together' from parts already half-assembled as potential tunes but not yet used, having been germinating over a couple of years? Just a guess, but that's certainly how the album sounds to me.

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Cassette version of Extra Special Oceanlandworld

Postby clippa » Sun Sep 18, 2016 09:34

I hope that isn't as dismissive as it comes across, young man. I WILL fight you!

Savour makes me shit myself inside out, every time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR8pEZbECnU

"Flies volunteering to take my weight and hold me to the nightime sky
there's my mum, no need to cry."

I buy the "Recorded and performed by way of a penance on his own" explanation.

wilson
Bronze Cardiac

Postby wilson » Sun Oct 02, 2016 18:20

Either way works for me.

I would prefer the idea of it being hastily written and put together as it would make the album a good view in to the creative mind of Smith under urgent time pressure as opposed to spending year after year from 2000 not getting around to releasing a Cardiacs studio album.

However, I can imagine it being hastily put together from existing recordings as I guess he had his own recording equipment by then to work at his leisure.

I am genuinely interested in when the cassettes were sold at gigs. Never heard of them or seen one listed anywhere.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue Oct 11, 2016 09:02

clippa wrote:I hope that isn't as dismissive as it comes across, young man. I WILL fight you!

Didn't mean to be. I'm sure his 'thrown together' is a great deal less thrown together than anyone else's.

Doubleclick
Silver Cardiac

Postby Doubleclick » Sun Oct 30, 2016 13:31

I think the '89 story is probably right. I got into Cardiacs in '91. I went to every London gig I could, including Sea Nymphs in Camden in (I think?) '92. While I saw the cassette of Sea Nymphs Tree Top High sessions on sale, which later became the CD, I didn't see Oceanlandworld available until the '95 CD.

So I probably just missed that cassette by a year or two.

apend01
New fish

Postby apend01 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 06:22

I never saw this on sale and I went to a lot of shows during this time. I knew someone who had a tape of the instrumental version but it was given to them not sold.