MARESNEST SCREEN RATIO?

The place to discuss Cardiacs memorabilia, rarities, and share pictures of collectible items

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Re: MARESNEST SCREEN RATIO?

Postby clippa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 17:02

psparky27 wrote:I'm with you on this one dr terror.I don't understand why it bugs people if there are black bars?

Aye, I had this conversation recently on rllmuk as ys: the oath in felghana was released without proper widescreen support and was just stretching the games image if you chose a 16:9 aspect ratio

Minor complaint, the game is 4:3 and stretches horribly when run in widescreen.
1280x960 windowed is the best option I reckon if you're at 1920x1080. Correct aspect ratio and nice and crisp.
Loving the combat in this :D

I'm playing it 1080p, but then I never was particularly fussy about stuff like that.

Hehe, aye my friend is the same. Everytime I go round he's watching "friends", 4:3 stretched horizontally across his 16:9 telly.
You can always tell whether it's one of the earlier or later episodes judging by how thin the women are and how fat the men are.
At his gaff, it's anyone's guess. They all just look like jabba the hut.

WRONG! WRONG! Right :lol:

I can understand things like the above, but in a fantasy game I'd say it's not really comparable in that sense given you're only really looking at super deformed avatars most of the time anyway.

Aye, it's just personal preference.
I prefer to see the game as the artists intended. I think it looks better though I can understand people wanting their whole screen filled.

original - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14326828/ys%2043.jpg
stretched - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14326828/ys%20169.jpg

I prefer to see the game as the artists intended.

Sorry, just realised how twatty that sounds. That wasn't meant to come across quite so sniffy and condescending :D I think you can see in those pictures above that it does look distorted. It's worse in movement when the screen is scrolling, loads of fat houses floating around like whales

ryan
Diamond Cardiac

Postby ryan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 16:14

Ally Craig wrote:
ryan wrote:Tbh, depending on what their master actually is, blowing it up really wouldn't make a hugely appreciable difference to the quality.

Maybe the picture wouldn't improve that much, but the sound quality could be great on blu-ray. Cardiacs in 24bit 96khz audio, yes please..

I meant in terms of having a detrimental effect on picture, and more stretching from letter boxed 4:3 to full frame 16:9 SD. Pushing it up to 1080 might be stretching it too much...
Assumes the sound exists at 24/96 as well! Hopefully this hypothetical DVD release has PCM audio at least though.

Blu-ray is, as I understand, actually really expensive to author/master/produce still as well sadly.

Ally Craig
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Ally Craig » Mon Apr 09, 2012 21:16

ryan wrote:
Ally Craig wrote:
ryan wrote:Tbh, depending on what their master actually is, blowing it up really wouldn't make a hugely appreciable difference to the quality.

Maybe the picture wouldn't improve that much, but the sound quality could be great on blu-ray. Cardiacs in 24bit 96khz audio, yes please..

I meant in terms of having a detrimental effect on picture, and more stretching from letter boxed 4:3 to full frame 16:9 SD. Pushing it up to 1080 might be stretching it too much...
Assumes the sound exists at 24/96 as well! Hopefully this hypothetical DVD release has PCM audio at least though.

Blu-ray is, as I understand, actually really expensive to author/master/produce still as well sadly.

I'd imagine (perhaps incorrectly) that the audio was recorded on analogue equipment, so encoding it at 24/96 would be possible and beneficial. But yes, blu-ray is considerably more expensive to produce than DVD, and if the source was recorded on standard-def video tape (which, again, is only my assumption) then it'd look pretty shoddy. This is all a pipe dream anyway, even a DVD seems a long way off.

lish
New fish

Postby lish » Wed Apr 11, 2012 18:08

My good friend Kavus Torabi informs me that the master tapes for Maresnest are stored at Tim Smiths home. Its nice to know the master tapes actually exist which means it will hopefully one day make it to DVD with improved sound...

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 19:40

I don't think there was ever a doubt that it would make it to DVD one day. Tim will get better one day...
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!