Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake cassette Alph 03

The place to discuss Cardiacs memorabilia, rarities, and share pictures of collectible items

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Monkton
All Spectacular

Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake cassette Alph 03

Postby Monkton » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:13

Hello, i'm wondering if any fishes can help me with this query. I've just bought said cassette of Ebay and i think its hooky! I used to own it but i must have lost it a good 10 years ago now so was chuffed to see it on ebay and subsequently win it (for about 13 quid). However when it arrived and i opened it, SHOCk, HORROr, it felt WRONG! The cassette is a clear/translucent cassette with a white sticker label around the centre spool holes with typed text/title, alph 003 etc, but i don't remember my copy looking like this, i remember it as either a clear or creamy cassette with direct on cassette printing, like Archive Cardiacs, certainly not on sticker printing. Can anyone verify? I know two versions were released, one from gigs with hand written track listing and the more familiar purple one that i used to have. Did the first issue have on cassette printing? Anyhow.... I think i've been fleeced. :(
Anyhow! What an amazing forum! Can't believe i've not signed up before, i'm sure i will have seen many of you at gigs over the years. I'll be spending a good few hours here over the Crimble Hols i'm sure!! xMonkton
last one out turn off the lights.

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake cassette Alph 03

Postby drterror666 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 20:22

What does the cover look like? If it's the silky purple looking one, then it's hooky. If not, it's a real bloody rarity.
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Fri Dec 10, 2010 21:05

Well thats the thing. Its the silky purple one, which is the one i used to have. To all intents and purposes the cover looks like the real thing, but the cassette is not how my (failing) memory remembers it. What cassette printing did the first release sold at gigs have? At the back of my head is the inkling that its a first release cassette in second release cover but but but but but i sort of doubt it somehow..... Anyhow, the original cassette was my better's and this was going to be her xmas prezzie. She prob remembers alot clearer than i do what the original cassette we had looked like but i can't exactly go and ask her unfortunately............

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 16:31

It does sound like you may have a first edition cassette in a second edition cover. But, then again, it could be a copy. Does the eBayer sell much Cardiacs stuff?
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29

The seller is called licky-t, has exceptional feedback and sells alot of GREAT records, including, on the same day i bought this, 'Archive' on cassette, with which the buyer seems very happy and other Cardiacs/Spratleys bits and Bobs......I shall upload a photo of what i recieved. Anybody got an original first or second issue for comparison?

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 21:00

I've got a second issue although it's stored away. It's definitely got a properly printed cassette though, not a sticky label thing.
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 18:25

Licky-t ?
Last week I bought from him/her Pony by Spratley's Japs, but I'm still waiting for it so I can't tell you. It is supposed to have a Tim hand-done drawing...
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Bisalil
Gold Cardiac

Postby Bisalil » Tue Dec 14, 2010 21:19

Sterbus wrote:It is supposed to have a Tim hand-done drawing...

It is a Jo-done drawing :wink:

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Wed Dec 15, 2010 02:27

Well best of luck Sterbus. He seems reputable and i brought the issue up with him in a message and he claims 'a friend' got it originally from ABC sooooooo. My kinda dilemma now is even if it were a first issue release, it would be nice to have the first cover, and if its not, i'd like the tape that fits my purple cover...... What to do?
By the way, the wife and i listened to your 'Anything i Can't Eat' cover this morn. Truly BLOODY marvelous!! :D

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 17:31

Monkton wrote: By the way, the wife and i listened to your 'Anything i Can't Eat' cover this morn. Truly BLOODY marvelous!! :D

:D :D :D thanks alot! stay tuned for next year, I'm taking decisions right now about what's next! :wink:
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

duckstab
New fish

Postby duckstab » Fri Dec 31, 2010 21:35

hi, i own an original copy of alph03 which i purchased at the time of it's release from the band's own shop and the cassette is as you remembered, an off white/grey colour with no print or stickers at all. although i don't have the re-issue, i'm sure that was a clear cassette with proper print and still no stickers. i'd like to see exactly what you have though in case it sparks my memory, as i have worked behind the scenes with cardiacs and was a regular visitor to their shop at gigs since first discovering them in 1984.

Monkton
All Spectacular

Postby Monkton » Tue Jan 04, 2011 21:28

Here is a piccy of what i received, any idea's on cassettes authenticity folks?

duckstab
New fish

Postby duckstab » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:56

i think it is possible that you do have a genuine but not the common version of the re-issue. i seem to recall these coming about because they had more covers than original re-issue tapes or perhaps tapes got damaged. being an ex-driver/roadie for cardiacs i used to at one point have all their shop stored in my warehouse outside of london and being a keen collector i kept a close eye on it. everything was always stock checked so nothing could walk and i was always too loyal. so i do feel these tapes did come about but stickers were used to keep costings down, how the tapes were manufactured i don't know, hopefully you can't read tdk or something behind the stickers, they should be plain tapes if professionally done. the same thing happened with the seaside tape when they ran out of covers, i remember seeing black and white photo copies of the jim cover in the marquee one night. they looked really awful but it did happen. i count that now makes it 5 different versions of a cover for seaside on cassette. I hope this is of help.

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 20:59

duckstab wrote:i count that now makes it 5 different versions of a cover for seaside on cassette. I hope this is of help.

Five different covers? I can only think of four.
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,

duckstab
New fish

Postby duckstab » Thu Jan 06, 2011 21:36

the varying covers i have seen begin with the one that's on discogs http://www.discogs.com/Cardiacs-The-Sea ... se/1026636
this one is the original cover but not with the original tape. the original tape was just black with yellow hand applied stickers and this is indeed the rarest version, i have a copy of this. the tape itself then became re-pressed as the discogs version shows, but because the cassette cover had tim and sarah's home address on it (7 minerva road) they started getting overloaded with visitors so the cover was slightly changed. although it was similar there were a few variations, for instance the track list was printed at 90 degrees to the original, i know it wasn't just a case of chopping the address off. the 3rd version of the cover was the colour jim cover and as i mentioned before i also saw this being sold with very poor black and white photocopy covers at the marquee, that makes four. the 5th is obviously the black cover that came out alongside the CD version and equally omitting the 4 lost tracks.