Let's be Frank

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 15:45

Thanks for the pointers folks - I reckon I'll go for Hot Rats - can't go wrong for a fiver!

'Ship Arriving...' is the one with the black and white line drawing on the cover isn't it? I think I have that on wax cylinder somewhere - completely forgot about that!

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Tue Feb 27, 2007 15:50

Hooray! You won't be let down by Hot Rats, it'll blow your socks off!

That's the one! (Ship Arriving that is...)

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Tue Feb 27, 2007 16:03

I've come over all nostalgic and memory-stuffed. I remember going on holiday with a load of mates, camping in Cornwall, near St Agnes, years ago -- lovely summer weather, driving about in the car we listened continually to Uncle Meat. One thing i know is that if it had been Cardiacs we'd have had, it would have had the same effect.

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Tue Feb 27, 2007 16:40

Ah I wish I could do that. During my post GCSE knees up with my friends in Cornwall, I kept trying to slip Zappa and Faith No More on. They were having none of it. I think they would probably have sent me back to London if I'd had any Cardiacs at the time...

djbladdered
Gold Cardiac

Postby djbladdered » Tue Feb 27, 2007 22:34

IMHO - the albums to have

Sheik Yerbhouti for a start for guitar solos mingled with accessible daft scatological humour stuff (this is late 70s band, the xenochronicity Zappa era, where he would splice different live performances in the studio eg put a guitar solo from one performance and overdub it on a completely different drum and bass performance from another gig)

We're Only In it for the Money for his critique on hippies in 1967 (this is Mothers of Invention, satire driven pop/do-wop/r and b/pyschedelia)

Hot Rats I think is OVERRATED! Phew, contentious! Too much blues jamming for me, does often get a rating as his best album (solo 69-70, the straight up Zappa)

Overnite Sensation or One Size Fits All, for the funk Zappa (1974/5 - Zappa/Mothers)

Orchestral Favourites 1979 - fusion of rock band and (small) classical orchestra; The semi- classical Zappa

You Are what You Is (1980-81) - Frank now got his own studio UMRK, sound gets a pit plasticky from here on in, but this is where Frank turns his guns on the conservative far right in America (by this time the 'OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE stickers are appearing on LP sleeves). Zappa the 'rear guard gunner for the permissive society' (love that quote!)

The Yellow Shark is supposed to be his best pure classical piece, not heard it though.

And of course there are all the other albums too........ peace, Bladdered
Plumrose

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Wed Feb 28, 2007 00:47

I'd perhaps add Apostrophe to that list, which to me is a more consistent version of Sheik Yerbouti. One Size Fits All is maybe my favourite, some of it still amazes me.

Gotta agree with dj about Hot Rats - the shorter tunes are great but the rest just goes on forever. If you enjoy his noodly guitar workout stuff there's plenty to like, but personally I can do without it. I sometimes suspect that people like the idea of Zappa's guitar fiddlefests more than the actual records, but perhaps I'm just missing something.

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Wed Feb 28, 2007 13:23

schlep wrote:
frostbyte wrote:sofa no.2 ofcourse!!!!!!!

:D
'One Size Fits All' is a pretty cool rekkerd too. I agree with Stoneage's 3 and raise him one 'Weasels Ripped My Flesh'.
Have to say I don't listen to his Frankishness very often though.

Yeeah, b*gger, I forgot about Weasels..., you're right, definitely on my list...but I don't listen to it as much as my 2 favs: Hot Rats and Burnt Weeny Sandwich

djbladdered
Gold Cardiac

Postby djbladdered » Sun Mar 11, 2007 23:19

Do not forget your Frankie Z
I played Zoot Allures the other night Frank at his dumbest FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR OUT
Plumrose