JG (Foetus etc) Thirlwell

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Re: JG (Foetus etc) Thirlwell

Postby funex » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:51

princess_stomper wrote:
Still no reviews online other than those written by people posting in this thread. The next result of interest is a very good Brainwashed interview that I assume is your work as well :D

Aye, that was me. I used the name A. Station because both JG and my husband both use Novation gear. Him Indoors even looks quite a lot like a blonde Thirlwell, which I find hilarious, though I only noticed the resemblance at about the time I did that Brainwashed piece.

Can you get some exposure for the Tim fundraising album on that there Brainwashed. It's a site I've been reading for ever and I reckon Tim's music is pretty compatible with the kind of stuff they usually endorse.
Soggy fish. Soggy.

princess_stomper
Silver Cardiac

Postby princess_stomper » Tue Oct 26, 2010 14:06

funex wrote:
princess_stomper wrote:
Still no reviews online other than those written by people posting in this thread. The next result of interest is a very good Brainwashed interview that I assume is your work as well :D

Aye, that was me. I used the name A. Station because both JG and my husband both use Novation gear. Him Indoors even looks quite a lot like a blonde Thirlwell, which I find hilarious, though I only noticed the resemblance at about the time I did that Brainwashed piece.

Can you get some exposure for the Tim fundraising album on that there Brainwashed. It's a site I've been reading for ever and I reckon Tim's music is pretty compatible with the kind of stuff they usually endorse.

Funny you should say that! I did actually drop Jon a line this morning to point out a dead link on his site, and mentioned the tribute album in passing along with a link about it. I haven't heard back from him, but yeah - I too thought it would be something he'd be into.

Scourage
Silver Cardiac

Postby Scourage » Thu Nov 18, 2010 17:03

OK, I bought the album and it's GREAT! Naming highlights would mean naming most of the tracks, but the songs Cosmetics, Paper Slippers, Oilfields and O Putrid Sun are especially incredible.

One thing - You're Trying To Break Me is brilliant, yeah, but has anyone else noticed it's basically a (cavalier) reworking of How To Vibrate? :D

EDIT: PStomper HAS noticed this, in her review, oops!

But while I'm here...O Putrid Sun, most beautiful track of the year? You're not allowed to say no.

princess_stomper
Silver Cardiac

Postby princess_stomper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:19

Scourage wrote:But while I'm here...O Putrid Sun, most beautiful track of the year? You're not allowed to say no.

It's gorgeous.

I've actually been listening to Thirlwell's Venture Bros score since it's now back in stock (I missed it twice before). I'm not normally someone who buys soundtrack albums, but it's really good - and I'm not just one of those people who just likes something because it's by my favourite band or whatever. The music is just very, very, very good.

Glad you're enjoying HIDE. :)

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Sat Nov 27, 2010 15:59

Yes! I've been turned back on to JGT through the Venture Brothers.

I've been writing my dissertation so my life has consisted of reading/writing/venture bros. Every time I try and concentrate all I can hear is the theme tune. DAAAAAAAAAA DA! DAAAAAAAA DA! WEEE WEEE WEEE WEEE!

YesItsReallyMe
Bronze Cardiac

Postby YesItsReallyMe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 16:42

I really like his 80s stuff - Nail, Hole, Thaw, Wiseblood, etc.

I was staying with my sis near London around 1984 (kipping on the floor, no money, causing mischief :D ) - Calamity Crush reminds me of that time.

I thought with most of his 80s stuff he was taking the piss (which I liked), he seemed to go a bit "serious" after that so I sorta lost interest ... if that makes any sense.
there be dragons

princess_stomper
Silver Cardiac

Postby princess_stomper » Tue Nov 30, 2010 16:10

YesItsReallyMe wrote:I thought with most of his 80s stuff he was taking the piss (which I liked), he seemed to go a bit "serious" after that so I sorta lost interest ... if that makes any sense.

It reminds me of my old schoolfriend whose uncle is Michael Palin. She used to say he was "really boring", like she expected him to sit around the dinner table making jokes about the gravy!

I'm not going to speculate here about JGT because that's not fair on him, but I can tell you about me. I'm very extravert - practically the opposite to him - but I would hate to be famous, even on an indie level. I've done a few interviews for the game mods I've made, and I hate it - I fret endlessly about "coming across wrong", and get really neurotic afterwards, even if that's not naturally my way. I used to be in a couple of bands, and even though I'm a pretty confident public speaker, I could never go on the stage without a drink or two, and would often drink while conducting interviews as a journalist.

I can also tell you that my reputation preceded me a little bit. I used to get very drunk on occasion, and it's something I'm a little embarrassed about. I often wonder if I'd have got further or been given better assignments if I'd have been sober more often, though my regrets are few and minor.

I can tell you that the minute I stopped writing for magazines, I lost about 80% of my "friends", and that is an aspect in which the pendulum swung back the other way with me. When you burn your hand, you don't just move it out of the path of the flame but pull it right back. In my case, it was being too open with people, trusting too much, so I actually became quite shy for a year or so and I certainly think twice before e.g. adding people to Facebook. I think very, very carefully about whether people really like me and consciously avoid being able to "offer" anyone anything beyond what I am as a person, just so I can never be used again.

One thing I still find myself doing is playing up a bit when I'm not comfortable with the situation. I mean, it's not any kind of fake persona, but even in RL when I meet someone they normally meet the class clown side of me, rather than the quiet and reflective person I am the rest of the time. It's very easy to worry that people will like you less if they see another side to you, and even though I'm very open and gregarious, I have a paralysing fear of rejection.

So I guess this self-indulgent waffle is really to say that if I was him, I'd probably be acting much the same way. I really liked the "character"/Clint Ruin/whoever, perhaps because I could sense that he was "a bit of a sweetie" (as one journo put it) underneath the sleazy clown act. If all that was out of some fear that I/we wouldn't really like him if we knew what he was really like, then of course the only reaction I can have is to embrace the real person, whatever I find there.

Plus the new album kinda rocks. :)

YesItsReallyMe
Bronze Cardiac

Postby YesItsReallyMe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 17:00

princess_stomper wrote:
YesItsReallyMe wrote:I thought with most of his 80s stuff he was taking the piss (which I liked), he seemed to go a bit "serious" after that so I sorta lost interest ... if that makes any sense.

It reminds me of my old schoolfriend whose uncle is Michael Palin. She used to say he was "really boring", like she expected him to sit around the dinner table making jokes about the gravy!

Yes, I don't think I made much sense, sorry. With his earlier music, I really like the dark humour, the mixture of artistic and cultural references, the shock and the offence, the clever use of instruments and production, the energy and power of his performances, etc. I think he's a very talented musician ... but maybe my tastes or expectations changed or he went in a slightly different direction?

I will have a listen to his latest album at some point though.
there be dragons

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Wed Dec 01, 2010 00:01

I know what you mean about the 80's stuff. The first album i heard was 'Hole' about 10 years ago and it blew me away, it's still a favourite now.The next one i picked up was 'Gash' and, well, thought it was aptly named lets say*. Spent the next few hours in a sulk after having paid import prices for it.Bah etc.

In the early years it was like Zappa gone industrial with genre hopping and mad lyrics/awful puns aplenty, but he seemed to get far too serious and the music got more harsh and grindy and 'rock' oriented i guess.Since 'Flow' i'd say he's back on track.

This is excellent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvR-reh8NJc

*Listening to some of it now on youtube i have warmed to it slightly. Mutapump is a bit of a monster :evil:

princess_stomper
Silver Cardiac

Postby princess_stomper » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:36

Bubby wrote:*Listening to some of it now on youtube i have warmed to it slightly. Mutapump is a bit of a monster :evil:

Mutapump is one of my favourite songs ever. I also love Hammer Falls, Steal Your Life Away and Friend Or Foe. GASH can be hard to take at first because it's front-loaded with the lesser tracks - Downfall is just ear-splitting noise, and I don't think much of Mighty Whity or Mortgage, either. Once it gets going, though, it's certainly better than THAW, for example.

I do take your point about the dark humour and shock lyrics, but I think he took a lot of that as far as it could go. When he was young, his fears were about serial killers and genocide and big things like that, so that's what he sang about. OK, so HIDE is all about a fear of the apocalypse, but FLOW and LOVE seem to be about more everyday fears of personal rejection and whatever. There are still some pretty bad puns. I mean, on HIDE you have "cash in your frequent liar miles", for example.

He's definitely more into working with a chamber orchestra, which I prefer - I thought Poland from HOLE worked much better live, and NAIL frustrates me because I try to imagine it with a live orchestra - though it's still one of my favourite ever albums. I think to really "get" the new stuff you need to hear LIMB and check out his instrumental stuff like Manorexia - the lines between the projects are blurring again, like they did circa THAW.

I didn't mean to sound like I was coming down on you for not being as effusively enthusiastic as I am - perhaps it's me who's not making any sense. :)

YesItsReallyMe
Bronze Cardiac

Postby YesItsReallyMe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 14:14

Bubby wrote:This is excellent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvR-reh8NJc

Wow - me likey very muchy.

I'm trying not to sound too arty-farty but I do like the juxtaposition.

I'm sure you've all heard this before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4lHWn7t_y0

(love how he's mixed this)
there be dragons

Tab Hunter
Silver Cardiac

Postby Tab Hunter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 16:34

princess_stomper wrote:and I don't think much of ... Mortgage,

That's actually one of my favourites, really brooding with a cracking melody.
Just goes to show the genius of Mr Thirlwell!

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Sun Feb 09, 2014 15:48

Aha, i knew it! (speak to god?!)

J.G wrote: I’m a relative late-comer to Cardiacs oeuvre : often people asked me if I’d heard them, then I was lucky enough to catch them live in London at the Astoria before it was levelled, and they were amazing. From quirky to monstrous post-prog rock, their music is complex and intense and incredibly constructed, with great melodies and surreal imagery. Leader Tim Smith was unfortunately stricken by illness a few years ago which has sidelined him but I hope he comes back to dazzle us further

:D

Has anyone heard Soak yet?

harveylime
Bronze Cardiac

Postby harveylime » Wed Feb 12, 2014 06:23

Bubby wrote:Aha, i knew it! (speak to god?!)

It's about time, Tim only called him a genius about 13 years ago. I really like 80s Foetus but his later, more polished stuff hasn't really clicked with me. Probably will soon.

abade
Silver Cardiac

Postby abade » Wed Feb 12, 2014 08:56

He was involved in Kavus' "Exquisite Corpse Game" that was released last year, so it's not THAT surprising to hear he's into Cardiacs.
"we just play beautiful music and violate people" - Kavus