kitten pyramid

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

baqwerty
Bronze Cardiac

kitten pyramid

Postby baqwerty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 14:33

Just heard them on radio 6 and radcliffe commented on how there was a cardiacs influence in their work..

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/d ... en-pyramid

b.

eadric
All Spectacular

Re: kitten pyramid

Postby eadric » Thu Apr 24, 2014 16:06

Thanks for posting! Have to confess it didn't do much for me, it sounds like Super Furry Animals with the odd Pixies-esque chord change and shuffle beat thrown in. The coda of Traffic is rather unforgivably like one of those horrible 'uplifting' moments from a TV drama series starring early 20's media types. I liked the first minute of Uh-Oh, but then it loses steam completely.

(yes, I wish I was less fussy too)

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 17:19

that Guardian journalist wrote: It's quirky and tempo-changey, like "the" Cardiacs, who we've never heard a note by but they seem like an appropriate comparison.

I can't decide if it's great that they can make that comparison without having actually heard them, or depressing... Either way, they're right - they're "tempo-changey", as are Cardiacs (and plenty of others) but that's where it ends.

I like 'Uh Oh' a lot. Haven't heard the rest yet...

baqwerty
Bronze Cardiac

Postby baqwerty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 18:46

The track played on the show was called "Chester", but I can't see it anywhere - you could dig through the iplayer link to the show to hear it (link valid for next 7 days only)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b041jwf1

25 minutes in. They are playing lots of low key gigs in hospitals. The bits after the "whoo" sounds very Cardiacs like to me. But not the bits with trumpets :)

B.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sat May 10, 2014 10:18

Batesy wrote:
that Guardian journalist wrote: It's quirky and tempo-changey, like "the" Cardiacs, who we've never heard a note by but they seem like an appropriate comparison.

I can't decide if it's great that they can make that comparison without having actually heard them, or depressing...

It's horribly depressing. "We'll say something that we have no idea is true and you'll take our word for it because we're paid journos and you're not." I don't know if it's my residual proghead anger at punk, or if the British musical establishment really is a curse on humanity.

I've become a huge fan of Kermode and Mayo's Radio 5 movie reviews and I love their banter, but what Simon Mayo doesn't know about music could fill libraries, let alone encyclopedias ...

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Mon May 12, 2014 10:54

Snardbafulator wrote:
Batesy wrote:

I can't decide if it's great that they can make that comparison without having actually heard them, or depressing...

It's horribly depressing. "We'll say something that we have no idea is true and you'll take our word for it because we're paid journos and you're not." I don't know if it's my residual proghead anger at punk, or if the British musical establishment really is a curse on humanity.

But, on the other hand, it's great that Cardiacs have a reputation that goes before them meaning they get name-checked in articles like this. If someone who likes Kitten Pyramid reads this then goes on to check out Cardiacs then it doesn't really matter what the journalist knows.... At least they confessing they've never heard a note.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Mon May 12, 2014 16:12

Batesy wrote:
Snardbafulator wrote:
Batesy wrote:I can't decide if it's great that they can make that comparison without having actually heard them, or depressing...

But, on the other hand, it's great that Cardiacs have a reputation that goes before them meaning they get name-checked in articles like this. If someone who likes Kitten Pyramid reads this then goes on to check out Cardiacs then it doesn't really matter what the journalist knows....

Sure. It's great that Cardiacs are being namechecked and if it leads a Kitten Pyramid fan to them, that's an unambiguously wonderful thing. That's the upside.
At least they confessing they've never heard a note.

Two points:

First, to compare something with no knowledge is the very definition of prejudice, and I find it disturbing to see this mode of thought apparently endorsed by journalists, especially in a paper I highly respect like the Guardian.

Secondly, as a proghead, probably my entire record collection can be offhandedly described as "quirky and tempo changey."

But no sane human being would try to meaningfully compare Cardiacs with Koenji Hyakkei.

Bob

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Mon May 12, 2014 16:54

Snardbafulator wrote:
But no sane human being would try to meaningfully compare Cardiacs with Koenji Hyakkei.

You'd be hard pushed to find a sane human being that listens to either :D

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Mon May 12, 2014 18:07

Batesy wrote:
Snardbafulator wrote:But no sane human being would try to meaningfully compare Cardiacs with Koenji Hyakkei.

You'd be hard pushed to find a sane human being that listens to either :D

You know, as soon as I wrote that, I flashed to all the ways Cardiacs are comparable to Koenji: The histrionic vocals. The constant meter changes. The insane, over-the-top wall of sound.

I've love to know if Simon Mayo has listened to either of them ...

Bob