Zeuhl/Avant-Prog/Etc.

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Mr. Minnow
All Spectacular

Re: Zeuhl/Avant-Prog/Etc.

Postby Mr. Minnow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 21:42

Here's a late 70s French obscurity, the self-titled sole album by Archaia which was reissued on CD some years ago by Soleil Zeuhl:

http://www.grooveshark.com/#!/album/Archaia/5787275

I don't recall seeing them mentioned here before, and it's the sort of thing that might well be of interest.

Bob, changing the subject completely, I know you've said before you love Pentangle, and I've been playing some of their earlier stuff to see if I think they're worth investigating. I like the self-titled first album and Basket of Light, so I've ordered both. I'm considering Sweet Child, which apparently covers a very wide range of styles, and Cruel Sister, which I've read was a commercial disaster - presumably because it's an album of traditional folk songs. Would you say these albums are as good as the two I've already ordered?

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:55

Mr Technique wrote:One track from the new Burzaco can be heard here. It does sound a lot like the first album.

It partakes of the same spirit for sure, but I'd beg to differ in that the core of this is full-blown avant-prog, without a shred of pop or conventional rock (hence jettisoning all my concerns about pastiche on the first album). Playing it for the second time. Utterly fantastic 8) ::D :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, Esra Dalfidan is still my Queen (and not a fair comparison, because she's a full-blown jazz singer), but for my money Carolina here blows the entire American axis of female avant prog singers, including Elaine DiFalco, clean out of the water on every level ...
Mr. Minnow wrote:Here's a late 70s French obscurity, the self-titled sole album by Archaia which was reissued on CD some years ago by Soleil Zeuhl:

http://www.grooveshark.com/#!/album/Archaia/5787275

I don't recall seeing them mentioned here before, and it's the sort of thing that might well be of interest.

Heh, they're on the NWW list 8) The recording isn't very good -- kind of tinny. Interesting in that it doesn't appear to be the brand of Zeuhl that resembles Magma very much, at least in terms of grooves, but wait ... here's a rising "oohh ... oohh ... oohh" chorus that's kinda Magmish. Lotta synths and keyboards. Drums and bass, not so much. Reasonably weird enough, though. Okay, here are the chanted repetitive vocals that scream of Magma, but again, no full-band cooking even though there's been a distorted guitar wailing along throughout the whole number. I keep waiting for the band to break into a tutti ... Didn't happen here.

This may turn out to be too spacey for my tastes, like Zeuhl crossed with Krautrock -- which hey, some people may really dig. But for me, I need a much bigger rhythmic component.

Heh. AllMusic loves the crap out of this album -- but the reviewer also loves dark electronica. Their "secret" is percussion and no drums, although two of the three bonus tracks have a drummer. I'm looking forward to them. Otherwise, this is psychedelic mush to my ears.

What a difference a drummer makes. This is more like it, although AllMusic called these tunes more like "straight progressive rock." I wouldn't go that far; it's still their brand of music which is very repetitive and atmospheric (which AllMusic calls "enigmatic," but I don't find much mystery in all the assertive darkness). This last one is resembling Krautrock pretty hard ...
Bob, changing the subject completely, I know you've said before you love Pentangle, and I've been playing some of their earlier stuff to see if I think they're worth investigating. I like the self-titled first album and Basket of Light, so I've ordered both. I'm considering Sweet Child, which apparently covers a very wide range of styles, and Cruel Sister, which I've read was a commercial disaster - presumably because it's an album of traditional folk songs. Would you say these albums are as good as the two I've already ordered?

See the Trad thread :o

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Mr. Minnow
All Spectacular

Postby Mr. Minnow » Thu Mar 20, 2014 02:54

Hi Bob. I played some of the Archaia album after I posted the link, as it's ages since I last played it and I didn't recall much about it, except for the fact that I remember liking it. The first thought I had was: not rhythmic enough for Bob! Never mind, maybe someone else will like it.

The trad thread is an excellent idea!

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Sun Mar 23, 2014 16:06

Another piece of the post-Cow puzzle, Tim Hodgkinson's The Work is probably one of the more surprising bands to emerge from that family tree. This likely won't appeal to every fan of Henry Cow but I love this stuff, it is a mix of RIO and left field post-punk, displaying some similarities with the great, This Heat. Aggressive, ugly, and exhilarating with the...erm....unique... vocals supplied by Tim.

Slow Crimes- 1982

Rubber Cage- 1991, just a bit more subdued nearly a decade later in this second studio album.

Some Excellent non album tracks
I Hate America
Houdini

They also released a great live album in the 80s featuring Cutler on drums which is underrepresented on youtube, unfortunately.
Crabs
Fingers and Toes
I Hate America

In 1989, Tim and Mick Hobbs from The Work teamed with the one of the members of similarly minded band, Unrest Work & Play, for a one-off as The Momes. It wasn't very RIO, but it did feature great avant-post punk and it may have influenced the direction of Rubber Cage.
Spiralling

Speaking of Hobbs, he fronted a group named Officer and this delightful album featured the rest of The Work, as well as luminaries like Chris Cutler, Georgie Born, Zeena Parkins, Charles Bullen (This Heat), and a boatload of other guests. It is a weird melange that runs the gamut from prog to post-punk to Medieval music to pop and funk.
Ossification
Last edited by Mr Technique on Wed Jul 09, 2014 01:57, edited 7 times in total.

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Sun Mar 30, 2014 13:31

Picchio Dal Pozzo was an Italian band which drew on the Canterbury sound and Zappa for their first album. Their second album added more touches of RIO.

Picchio Dal Pozzo (1976)

Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi (1980)

Mr. Minnow
All Spectacular

Postby Mr. Minnow » Sun Mar 30, 2014 15:17

Mr Technique wrote:Picchio Dal Pozzo was an Italian band which drew on the Canterbury sound and Zappa for their first album. Their second album added more touches of RIO.

Picchio Dal Pozzo (1976)

Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi (1980)

I was going to post a link to this lot, but you beat me to it! Very good stuff. There's also another CD, Camere Zimmer Rooms, which seems to be available to hear on Grooveshark despite it being a Cuneiform release:

http://www.grooveshark.com/#!/album/Camere+Zimmer+Rooms/5732844

How long will it take for Cuneiform to block it? Place your bets!

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 04:32

I'm sorry, I'm here only to show off my new profile picture... isn't it lovely?
I did it by myself! 8)

:roll:

But yes, Picchio dal pozzo are really good, and they use to have a good sense of humour too..
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Mr. Minnow
All Spectacular

Postby Mr. Minnow » Sun Apr 06, 2014 02:22

I don't recall the French band Potemkine being mentioned very often on here, so here are the links to the Soleil Zeuhl reissues of their albums. The tracks from the Foetus album were included as bonus tracks split over the two discs. The Triton CD also includes both tracks from their 7" single, so between them these two CDs contain the band's complete works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um4x7-QJ3SA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxxFlNXGaJ4

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sun Apr 06, 2014 18:01

Mr Technique wrote:Speaking of Hobbs, he fronted a group named Officer and this delightful album featured the rest of The Work, as well as luminaries like Chris Cutler, Georgie Born, Zeena Parkins, Charles Bullen (This Heat), and a boatload of other guests. It is a weird melange that runs the gamut from prog to post-punk to Medieval music to pop and funk.
Ossification (two tracks missing)

Aha... i only discovered Officer! a week or so ago, and have been listening again to that Cold Storage time. Here's a decent summary history, A Modern Lesson: Art Rock in the Thatcher Era, and a good varied compilation.

Some controversial remarks in the second paragraph there... that i certainly felt at the time.

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Sun Apr 06, 2014 18:27

I've seen that page before and it is a decent primer. A lot of interesting material came out of Cold Storage at the time. Though I disagree with many of their conclusions about first wave RIO. I also feel they are off the mark about Frith, the early 80s were a great period for him and a lot of it holds up, Massacre and his two classic solo albums being other examples alongside Skeleton Crew. And as much as I like Flaming Tunes (and the whole This Heat axis, really), I don't think that is the key album from the lot.

After posting that Officer! album I learned that it was recently rereleased, but only on vinyl which does me no good at the moment. I have had most of the Officer! albums on mp3 for years plagued by pops and clicks having been poorly ripped from the original vinyl issues.

I almost made a thread yesterday about Amos and his wacky adventures with the It's War Boys! label and The Homosexuals, but I wasn't sure how many takers there would be for 80s lo-fi basement experiments. Been listening to L. Voag this morning.

Mr. Minnow wrote:I don't recall the French band Potemkine being mentioned very often on here, so here are the links to the Soleil Zeuhl reissues of their albums. The tracks from the Foetus album were included as bonus tracks split over the two discs. The Triton CD also includes both tracks from their 7" single, so between them these two CDs contain the band's complete works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um4x7-QJ3SA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxxFlNXGaJ4

Those are good 'uns too

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:55

Swedish Invasion!

First, Samla Mammas Manna. Part of the original RIO collective, they were also one of the older groups releasing albums since the early 70s. Like Etron Fou Leloublan, SMM had a healthy dose of humor in their music. This is their second album.

Maltid (1973)

At some point they adopted the slightly altered monicker Zamla Mammaz Manna to indicate a change in direction. This is their last.

Familjesprickor (1980)

Two Members would spinoff into Von Zamla which also acquired Michael Breckmans at some point. From the live album 1983
Für Munju/Indojazz
Temporal You are

Continuing the quirky Swede Tradition were Myrbein.

Myrornas Krig (1981)

Kultivator were not RIO, but they combined Canterbury, folk, and a bit of zeuhl.

Barndomens Stigar (1981)

In the 80s, Lars Lach'n Jonsson (or Lachen) was an interesting figure in Swedish weird prog, leading multiple bands as well as the Bauta label which also released the Kultivator album. Unfortunately, neither of his two solo albums are available streaming anywhere. Zut Un Feu Rouge (Shit, a Red Light) were a bit similar to Swiss band Debile Menthol.
Some tracks:
Magmunnen
Sken av älg
Rheingold
Eldtornet och sovvagnen; ändstation
His other band, Ur Kaos, was a sort of gothy group that cited the Art bears as an influence. Not much from the usual sources.
Loved Missile

Ensemble Nimbus- They were mentioned in ye olde Proggy Treats thread, so I guess I will include them. They released 3 decent albums, not exactly essential stuff.

Garmonbozia (2000)

Lastly, Förträngt Hushållsarbete (I don't know how to begin to pronounce it) were a band I discovered through a glowing review written by Dave Kerman. It isn't nearly as long as the track list would lead one to believe because each tracks is followed by at least one interstitial "sound eperiment".

Offret Om Att Älska (2002)

abade
Silver Cardiac

Postby abade » Wed May 07, 2014 22:44

Rare footage of SMM performing a few songs on a TV show in 1974... Brilliant stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFbx3-hl-dQ
"we just play beautiful music and violate people" - Kavus

Mr. Minnow
All Spectacular

Postby Mr. Minnow » Wed Jun 18, 2014 20:07

Bablicon's first album, In a Different City:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB4A4DCC54E9A13E2

The second, The Cat That Was a Dog/A Flat Inside a Fog:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF0E172FBCA3F1E79

And The Orange Tapered Moon:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5E2A524E5C373007

It's been a while since I've listened to these, but if memory serves this thread is probably as good a place for them as any.

Mr. Minnow
All Spectacular

Postby Mr. Minnow » Tue Aug 12, 2014 02:16

This has probably been mentioned on here already, but just in case it hasn't, there's a 2CD Magma live album from 1974 which was apparently released only in May of this year. It's this set. It's getting rave reviews and the price is decent so I've ordered it. I've only just come across it by accident, having had no idea it existed, so I'm just flagging it up here in case there's anyone else in the same boat.

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26

This is the live album in its long available bootleg form. The tracks are broken up a bit differently on the official version. It is a very good live release.

Magma has new studio releases coming this fall, frustratingly they are releasing two eps rather than one album. One will be another take on Riah Sahiltaak and the other will be Axiom which has been performed in recent years under the name Slag Tanz.