Knifeworld

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Knifeworld

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri Oct 18, 2013 19:19

I know this should prolly go in the Kavus Torabi's Projects thread, but wot the 'ell ...

Just got my mailie from the Believer's Roast list I've been on since I bought Leader of the Starry Skies. And here's Kavus's new one, boys and girlies ...

I'm listening to it and it's pretty great! Free download of an 8 minute track:

Don't Land on Me

I can't believe I scooped the Pond on a Cardiacs family project :mrgreen:

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Re: Knifeworld

Postby Mr Technique » Fri Oct 18, 2013 19:37

I totally spaced on the song name and thought this was yet another new track, but it turns out I was already familiar with it from the video.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Fri Oct 18, 2013 19:41

Snardbafulator wrote:I know this should prolly go in the Kavus Torabi's Projects thread, but wot the 'ell ...

Just got my mailie from the Believer's Roast list I've been on since I bought Leader of the Starry Skies. And here's Kavus's new one, boys and girlies ...

I'm listening to it and it's pretty great! Free download of an 8 minute track:

Don't Land on Me

I can't believe I scooped the Pond on a Cardiacs family project :mrgreen:

Bob

"Knifeworld" eh? I'll have to check them out.
(see, this is the new Facebook paradigm - with links to the video and download appearing there last month, and nobody bothering this place with 'em)
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri Oct 18, 2013 20:00

schlep wrote:"Knifeworld" eh? I'll have to check them out.

Catchy name, huh.
(see, this is the new Facebook paradigm - with links to the video and download appearing there last month, and nobody bothering this place with 'em)

Well gee, shlep, that sorta begs the question, doesn't it ...

I mean ... I just got my email like everybody here who bought the tribute CD (which is nearly all of what's left of the regulars). I just thought I was quicker on the draw for a sec there ...

Bob

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Fri Oct 18, 2013 20:43

Snardbafulator wrote:

Bob

I've done my share of carrying water to here from the popular social networking site...maybe we should all start posting in What Game Did You Play Today?

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri Oct 18, 2013 21:00

schlep wrote:
Snardbafulator wrote:

Bob

I've done my share of carrying water to here from the popular social networking site...maybe we should all start posting in What Game Did You Play Today?

Or we could change the Nest's subtitle to The One and Only Unofficial Cardiacs Forum For Those Who Don't Use Facebook.

Bob

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Fri Oct 18, 2013 21:05

Snardbafulator wrote:Or we could change the Nest's subtitle to The One and Only Unofficial Cardiacs Forum For Those Who Don't Use Facebook.

Bob

"Like"

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri Oct 18, 2013 21:12

schlep wrote:
Snardbafulator wrote:Or we could change the Nest's subtitle to The One and Only Unofficial Cardiacs Forum For Those Who Don't Use Facebook.

Bob

"Like"

::lol:

Bob

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Fri Oct 18, 2013 21:38

Anyhow a solid Knifeworld tune, I like the large horns and dynamic shiftings. It hasn't grabbed me like "In a Foreign Way" or "Clairvoyant Fortnight" if we're judging by hit snigles. Maybe a grower...

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Oct 18, 2013 22:41

schlep wrote:I've done my share of carrying water to here from the popular social networking site...maybe we should all start posting in What Game Did You Play Today?

Yes and your effort has been much appreciated, but it's also made me feel a bit like an exile from somewhere i've never been... :|

I used to buy Model Railway Journal on a quite regular basis; never had a model railway nor ever wanted one particularly, it was just nice to read people talking about something i had absolutely no interest in. That's why i always get a nice feeling popping my head round the door of the gaming room, and popping it out again. It's almost as nice reading the current preoccupations at Cardiacs Alike, or as i like to call it Sounds Like Another Very Angry Hatfield and the North. Or SLAVAHN. :)

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re:

Postby Snardbafulator » Sat Oct 19, 2013 00:59

dogsetc. wrote:It's almost as nice reading the current preoccupations at Cardiacs Alike, or as i like to call it Sounds Like Another Very Angry Hatfield and the North. Or SLAVAHN. :)

Hey dogsie, Esra Dalfidan has a song called Leave Rage Behind. And my goodness, have you heard Straight Ahead? Richard Sinclair would eat his heart out. She's the most strictly Hatfieldian thing up on the forum right now and the last thing you can call her is angry.

The reasons for the forum's ... monolithic turn as of late are several. First, and mainly, Mr. Technique, eadric and I haven't gotten much help in the past month or so. I don't know whether it's the sad result of this forum dying a slow protracted death or whether there are genuinely few Cardiacs Alike bands out there that we haven't already discovered, but I think we're making an honest effort. Aside from Esra, who you really should check out if you haven't, eadric put up MoeTar, which I think is quite Cardiacs Alike and while certainly twiddly in places, they're not very "angry" in the math metal / tech death / experimental rock sense I think you mean it. Hell, I posted up St. Vincent not because I like her (I really kind of don't), but because she was a direct antithesis to that trend. Farmers Market certainly might give Dave and the boys a chase in the meter and chords dept., but they're a folk / jazz band.

We're striving for diversity here, my friend!

A big loss to the forum has been Mr. Minnow, who was an outstanding contributor for a while and then vanished. He has an extremely diverse taste and brought The Incredible Pink Dots to the table, a sort of dark psychedelic atmosphere band I didn't like at all but many people did. That post had over 400 views. And he started a very detailed thread about early music. My goodness, we could have all left our comfort zones a little bit and helped him chill with that stuff. I certainly did, but the two of us can't do it alone. I revived John Adams, Bubby resurrected Kate Bush. But in the vacuum of interest, there will be much talk about the bands you're characterizing by the people who happen to be contributing the most to the forum atm.

Don't blame that on us, though ...

And certainly don't blame Mr. Technique, who I know must seem kind of like Snardbafulator Lite, only he's actually more like Snardbafulator Heavy, because his musical taste makes me look like a mainstreamer. And if he's a new fired-up forum fishie punching out serial threads of brutal prog and math rock that only he and I talk about, that can only shake up the forum when enough people feel that their tastes are not represented and begin to take matters into their own hands by reviving or starting new threads. That's, after all, the way it's supposed to work. A friendly competition. Seems better to me than letting the forum wither away ...

Bob

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Sat Oct 19, 2013 01:14

I have posted some convoluted unCardiacsy stuff over the past two days (though only one I could characterize as "angry"). Granted, at the moment a newcomer to the forum would not be confronted with the most listener friendly line up of bands at the top of this subsection but if there were more people posting topics I don't think it would be noticeable.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sat Oct 19, 2013 01:18

Mr Technique wrote:I have posted some convoluted unCardiacsy stuff over the past two days (though only one I could characterize as "angry"). Granted, at the moment a newcomer to the forum would not be confronted with the most listener friendly line up of bands at the top of this subsection but if there were more people posting topics I don't think it would be noticeable.

My point exactly.

Bob

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Sat Oct 19, 2013 01:18

Redundancy is my specialty. I specialize in redundancy. :D

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sat Oct 19, 2013 01:26

Mr Technique wrote:Redundancy is my specialty. I specialize in redundancy. :D

That's what we specialize in, here at the Department of Redundancy Department ::D

Bob