Major Parkinson

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

chaffinch
Bronze Cardiac

Re: Major Parkinson

Postby chaffinch » Sun Mar 02, 2014 22:10

New album Twilight Cinema is out and it's a joy from start to finish. Although very Cardiacs influenced they definitely reside in their own little universe. Only 8 tracks & 40 minutes long though, that's my only disappointment.

Streamed here
http://majorparkinson.bandcamp.com/albu ... ght-cinema

shiroihage
Silver Cardiac

Postby shiroihage » Mon Mar 03, 2014 14:15

Twilight Cinema is utterly brilliant. In my all time top ten already. Proggier and even more mental than their first two. Melody and massively diverse instrumentation a-plenty. Cannot recommend it enough! "The Wheelbarrow" reminds me of "Buds and Spawn" in it pace and melodies but, as Chaffinch says, they aint no clones. Easily the best band in the world at the mo.

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 23:38

Someone can explain me why I don't get them? What am I missing?
I used to agree with you about amazing bands!
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Thu Mar 06, 2014 17:54

I don't really hear any specific Cardiacs influence, which I don't mind either way. I feel like they've found a new angle somewhere ('twilight cinema', 'the wheelbarrow') and maybe they're still figuring it out themselves. the new album is a bit patchy but interesting!

they're one of those bands where I thought the guys vocals might be a little too limiting, but they're getting away with it.

I dunno Sterbus, do you just find them a bit boring? I'm curious :D

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 22:40

eadric wrote:I don't really hear any specific Cardiacs influence, which I don't mind either way. I feel like they've found a new angle somewhere ('twilight cinema', 'the wheelbarrow') and maybe they're still figuring it out themselves. the new album is a bit patchy but interesting!

they're one of those bands where I thought the guys vocals might be a little too limiting, but they're getting away with it.

I dunno Sterbus, do you just find them a bit boring? I'm curious :D

As many others, I'm not a fan of that kind of vocals... musically, judging from the three or four songs I heard I did'nt see anything too special... Everything Evverything are much much better for me...

Maybe it's a grower, so many stuff I did'nt like at first... :?:

chaffinch
Bronze Cardiac

Postby chaffinch » Thu Mar 06, 2014 23:38

eadric wrote:I don't really hear any specific Cardiacs influence, which I don't mind either way

I find this odd - for me MP absolutely scream Cardiacs, but at the same time have their own special 'thing' going on.

As many others, I'm not a fan of that kind of vocals... musically, judging from the three or four songs I heard I did'nt see anything too special... Everything Evverything are much much better for me...

I can understand the vocals being offputting but they do grow on you (well, me anyway!). As for this album, well I can only say I've been unable to stop listening to it and hear new things every time.

I too love Everything Everything (discovered them via this forum). Having said that, Arc disappointed me after that great first album. About halfway through they seemed to morph into Coldplay at their dullest. Most perplexing! Hoping their next will be better, from what I've read it's going to be more in the spirit of Man Alive - spontaneous, manic and much more upbeat.

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:45

I too can see why the vocals are an issue, especially as their earlier stuff was using a few more of those 'dog fashion disco' type cliches so at times it ended up sounding like one of those bands. I think they've managed to dial that back a bit, and to my ear they're more rhythmically developed than before. They're mostly avoiding rhyming things with grenadine, and that 1-TWO-3-4-1-TWO-3-4...ONE TWO syncopation they loved so much. And those Stranglers-esque synth runs that keep popping up! They're still a bit patchy, but the good tracks are really damn good.

Just to be awkward, I find the guys student-y vocals in Everything Everything really irritating. It might be a British thing. I reckon they're going to be one of those bands that start out a bit kitchen sink and then morph into something very prosaic. Bearsuit went that way too.

shiroihage
Silver Cardiac

Postby shiroihage » Fri Mar 07, 2014 14:34

Agree with Chaffinch AGAIN. MP are clearly influenced by Cardiacs (I read a recent interview where they cheerled our boys!) but have their own thing. Really, really love the new album. Loads of stuff on youtube. I don't particularly like the vocals but I don't actually like Tim's vocals much either (gasp). So, doesn't bother me much.
Also, agree about Everything Everything. Liked the 1st album but found the 2nd lacking. Same with Dutch Uncles which are another good young band with bright ideas.

abade
Silver Cardiac

Postby abade » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:46

shiroihage wrote:MP are clearly influenced by Cardiacs (I read a recent interview where they cheerled our boys!)

True, though MP also said on interview that they had no idea who Cardiacs were when they recorded their first album. They only found out about them thanks to the many critics who compared them to Cardiacs.
"we just play beautiful music and violate people" - Kavus

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri May 09, 2014 21:00

Sterbus wrote:Someone can explain me why I don't get them? What am I missing?
I used to agree with you about amazing bands!

Well I think, Lele, it's because you have musician's disease, something I suffer with as well though I'm sure you're a much better musician than I am. You may not always be consciously trying to transcribe everything you listen to note-for-note, but you can't help observing patterns ... "oh right, he's doing that" ... and comparing them to what you've heard before. It doesn't mean you require all that you love to have startling originality, let alone complexity, but you are looking at least for that little twist that sets something apart, gives it its own life.

I gave this record a serious spin because I was hugely impressed by at least one tune off Songs From A Solitary Home and I tend to really like music from Norway. I love Jono El Grande, highly respect Jagga Jazzist and Farmers Market is one of my all-time favorite bands. I tried to dial back my math rock / avant prog expectations so as to be as fair as possible to them.

But try as I might, the first three tunes annoyed me. It's not the Tom Waits vocals; that's hardly a dealbreaker (as for many of us, my Tim-love has desensitized me to "bad singing"), and besides, I love what I can make out of the lyrics (I like the lyrics to everything I've heard by MP). It's that while (the) Cardiacs influences indeed did scream at me, I found them entirely superficial, a matter purely of texture: huge sympho chords and Drake-like galloping filigrees.

Harmonically and rhythmically, not so much. I heard all the ii-V-I's dutifully cyclin' around and noted the lack of modulations and, even worse, they seemed to have precisely two rhythmic modes: A waltz and a polka. Arrgh. None of gobsmacking chord changes you get as a matter of entitlement with virtually every Cardiacs tune, even their modulation-happy simplest.

Thankfully, The Wheelbarrow threw me a curve ball. It started out in 5, but kept wanting to get stuck in 3 (they have a serious oom-pah fetish, maybe it's from featuring all that accordion), but it flipped back and forth aperiodically (two threes and a five make 11; two fives and a three make 13), so like any good Pavlovian poochie, I duly salivated at the chime of that mathy bell. I'm a math rocker, so that's easily my favorite track on the record.

Finally, the big chorus at the end of Twilight Cinema finally did begin to approach the gates of Cardiacissimo because the chords were huge and implicitly modulatory. Makes a difference.

So there, Lele, there's an explanation of my reactions to the album grounded in some objective correlatives that I trust at least you of all people here will be able to parse.

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Fri May 09, 2014 21:56

I got a little doubt... they are always declaring their love for Tim and Cardiacs, in interviews or live with t-shirts (they also used Home of Fadeless Splendour as a intro for their show) so this surely makes them nice before hearing one single note! :)

I admit I did'nt have the time to listen to the whole album, but the few songs I heard did'nt grab me, yes maybe it's a matter of chords - the best example of Tim-ripping progressions is still this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLpCXg23P-s :oops: - if someone told me "listen to this pop band" without adding nothing, I'll probably like them more...

But I respect them!

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Mon May 12, 2014 17:57

Sterbus wrote:if someone told me "listen to this pop band" without adding nothing, I'll probably like them more...

That's the thing, Lele, you're absolutely right. Bands that go out of their way to liken themselves to a prominent or well-regarded band, especially one so known for uniqueness as Cardiacs, put themselves into a double-bind. If they sound too much like their idols, they're copycats. If they sound only a little like them, they're a pale imitation. It's a no-win situation and helps to keep them from being judged on their own terms, which all bands deserve.

That said, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for MP because they're deliberately cultivating the direct comparison by using Cardiacs as their setup music and by talking them up as their idols in interviews. They're inviting the comparison, and that's ultimately a Kiss of Death.
But I respect them!

Hey, there's a lot to respect about them. They're excellent musicians, their lyrics are great and they're a very enjoyable listen for what they are. I can't very well hold them up to my set of yardsticks, save to give my personal opinion on them. They don't intend to be avant prog.

But sooner or later they're going to need to cut (the) Cardiacs umbilical cord ...

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk