Tame Impala

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Sterbus
mad completist

Tame Impala

Postby Sterbus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 14:59

Sixties-inspired psychedelic stuff - à la Pretty Thing SF Sorrow era - with vocals that are a true cross between John and George, production by Dave Fridmann - the soft bulletin by flaming lips - released in 2011... I hink Ady will like it, Bob not :D .

Jeremys storm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2SYop7 ... re=related

Solitude is bliss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfQCH-ig ... re=related

Runways, houses, city, clouds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SLEZN12 ... re=related

All written and performed by Kevin Parker.
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Wed Jan 19, 2011 15:04

The best album of the century so far. :bear:

There you go, can't say fairer than that...

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Tame Impala

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Jan 19, 2011 16:30

Sterbus wrote:Sixties-inspired psychedelic stuff - à la Pretty Thing SF Sorrow era - with vocals that are a true cross between John and George, production by Dave Fridmann - the soft bulletin by flaming lips - released in 2011... I hink Ady will like it, Bob not :D

For the first thirty seconds of the first tune I was all set to like it, I swear. Good guitar chords, nice production the way the other guitar entered on the other speaker, really clean sound ... and then it went into this groove ... and stayed there ... and stayed there ... until the opening chords reprised, yay! ... and then the groove came back ... which stayed there ... and stayed there ... again.

I really don't get the Lenny Kravitz thing. I don't get the 60s acid trip flashback fetish, either from young ravers or for oldsters who should know better ... I don't get how intentionally poorly recorded drums, analog reverb and stomp-box flangers can send people into ecstatic reveries, or how these things and two chords for six minutes somehow equate to the spirit of John Lennon.

All it does is make me want to put on "Manhoo," "Fairy Mary Mag" and/or "Ain't He Messy, Though."

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Wed Jan 19, 2011 17:59

Not sure how much would be left standing if the multi-effects racks were turned off. It'd be like taking a beautiful pebble out of a fish tank and discovering it's smaller and rather dull. Never go over 50% "wet", I was told.

Shit name too. Deliberately, ironically, I'm sure, but still shit.

:butthead:

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Wed Jan 19, 2011 18:46

Well despite everything you both say i'm still unreasonably persuaded by the way it sounds. I'm very undemanding when it comes to music.

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 19:14

dogsetc. wrote:Well despite everything you both say i'm still unreasonably persuaded by the way it sounds. I'm very undemanding when it comes to music.

No need to justify !! I find this music good even in demanding mood, if in this particular case I'm looking for some good analog sounds, fat bass, mono drums... But maybe you have the same problem with Phallus Dei by Amon Duul, I imagine :D don't know, maybe I'm a little Zelig in music taste, but I like this stuff as much as Pearl Jam - sorry Bob, I got all the albums! - or John Zorn Electric Masada... (that very often it's only one chord and a total mess all over it)

De Gusterbus!

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Jan 19, 2011 23:38

Sterbus wrote:
dogsetc. wrote:Well despite everything you both say i'm still unreasonably persuaded by the way it sounds. I'm very undemanding when it comes to music.

No need to justify !! I find this music good even in demanding mood, if in this particular case I'm looking for some good analog sounds, fat bass, mono drums... But maybe you have the same problem with Phallus Dei by Amon Duul, I imagine :D don't know, maybe I'm a little Zelig in music taste, but I like this stuff as much as Pearl Jam - sorry Bob, I got all the albums! - or John Zorn Electric Masada... (that very often it's only one chord and a total mess all over it)

De Gusterbus!

Nobody really needs to justifiy their musical tastes (all that's strictly required on a music forum is not to take it personally when others disagree), although I do make a hobby out of justifying mine.

Bob

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Thu Jan 20, 2011 00:40

This is nice and reminds me pleasantly of The Nazz, and Dungen, as well as some of things listed above...but I'm not feeling it yet. Did I take enough?
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re:

Postby Snardbafulator » Thu Jan 20, 2011 05:44

Made Of Worms wrote:Shit name too. Deliberately, ironically, I'm sure, but still shit.

:butthead:

I have to strongly concur; it's a truly offensive name. The idea of a "tame impala" reminds of those drug lords who thought they could domesticate ocelots and jaguars and keep 'em as exotic "pets" in their walled compounds in the Columbian jungle. Mess with Mother Nature on that kinda level and you lose all cred with a "counterculture" whose alimentary canal you are so intent on Hoovering.

Bob

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 13:50

Another thing is certain: I bought the album amd soon heard it as a whole, from track 1 to track 11, at night, in my car... This way it's probably easier to like then opening a link out of context in front of a pc.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Fri Jan 21, 2011 23:34

Sterbus wrote:Another thing is certain: I bought the album amd soon heard it as a whole, from track 1 to track 11, at night, in my car... This way it's probably easier to like then opening a link out of context in front of a pc.

Also if the weed you were smoking was seedless hydroponic Indica as opposed to whatever the Italian equivalent is of commercial Mexican :weedman:

Bob

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:49

Driving and Tame Impala: over-absorbed i did on an occasion last year drive straight past my exit off the M5 with Innerspeaker playing. :?

You know i never, until it was mentioned here, thought about the literalism of their name, they were just letters making words, same as, i suppose, it's just sounds making music. I'm that undemanding. I agree with Sterbus that it's a particularly entire listen; and as to whether it requires some intoxication to bring out the best hasn't that pretty well been proven the case with all music...?

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sun Nov 18, 2012 18:19

Getting right into Lonerism. I agree with myself (above), about the Rundgren Nazz-ness. The melodies matter more than the sound textures and effects pedals. I get a sad and beautiful feeling, like looking at a far away forest, sue me. The kids are ALL RIGHT!

The clot thickens - a cover of 'International Feel'
And There's More
and
Rundgren - remixed 'Elephant'
There's Always More

Been listening a lot to the French gf's side project also - Melody's Echo Chamber
Endless Shore
Do you know what I mean to say

I meant to say to you today

A day goes by I try thats why

I try to speak to you today

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:43

This lot were on Jools Holland last night. I didn't know they were Aussie - their name is amusing in a cod Aussie accent. They did some Sabbath/Purple thing in good lighting, so Mrs worms liked it.

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Wed Nov 21, 2012 19:14

liking the first tack i've heard alot......look like a good investment :D