Kayo Dot

Discuss the bands you like beside Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Marinaorgan
Bronze Cardiac

Kayo Dot

Postby Marinaorgan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 02:45

For goodness sake check this band out, if only to make me shut up about them for five minutes.

http://www.kayodot.net/kayodot/index.php?text=audio

http://www.bluelambencydownward.com/
(this is a nice stream of the recent album, starting with the mindblowing first track.... stick with it to the end.)

http://www.kayodot.net/mp3/marathon.mp3
http://www.kayodot.net/mp3/dowsing/gemini-extclip.mp3
http://www.kayodot.net/mp3/manifold_curiosity.mp3
http://www.kayodot.net/mp3/wayfarer.mp3

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sun Nov 16, 2008 05:38

Wow. Music.
:D
Liking this album stream very much!
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

snowman
Cardiacs Expert

Postby snowman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:03

flip! grumpily, i don't like a whole buncha stuff recommended by the well-meaninged around these parts, but i very very like this! thank you :D

it's beautiful. reminds me a bit of angels of light/akron / beach boys / kink rims on / magma / boredoms... it's multi-harmonic!

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Nov 17, 2008 22:02

Funny, I got a whole different list of 'sounds like',
Mahavishnu, Henry Threadgill, Sonic Youth, Jeff Buckley, King Crimson, Keiji Haino...
They are unique though...hope they come around here on tour, this would be devastating live.

Marinaorgan
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Marinaorgan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 02:00

I'm all happy now.

chippy
Cardiacs Expert

Postby chippy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 03:58

Thanks for the post! I know Im going to get into these in a big way.

I love it when you do comparison lists :D mine is, as well as the mentioned:
Amon Duul
Tangerine Dream
Isis...... who are touring around soon!!
Daevid Allen

On my third listen now, great stuff
There's thousands of people just like me all over

Scourage
Silver Cardiac

Postby Scourage » Tue Nov 25, 2008 20:16

Ah at last! A thread for these guys!

New album has been less well-received than the first two; I personally really like it, especially (as intimated above) the first track. The underrated midsection is really really good too.

However, the first two records are mindblowing, made before the songwriter/all-round genius dude sacked everyone he wasn't sleeping with. Especially the songs "___on limpid form", "The Manifold Curiosity", "Geminni Becoming The Tripod", "Marathon" and "The Antique" (in descending order).

Everyone owes it to themself to witness "___on limpid form", imo.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Re: Kayo Dot

Postby schlep » Thu Jun 21, 2012 14:49

Coming back around to these again, and currently listening to Maudlin of the Well. Dark, underlit and obscure - but the more time you spend with it - "there's creatures in there".
Mr Scourage is correct, the 'Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue' album is a good way to begin. They have everything-! up on their bandcamp page for listening, many things free and pay-what-you-will.
http://www.kayodot.net
bump

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Wed Jul 18, 2012 22:11

For those of you blessed enough to have access to Spotify the brilliant 2012 Gamma Knife album is on there in its entirety as is the Coyote album from 2011, the 20 minute stained glass single, the Blue Lambency Downward album from 2011 and the Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue album from 2006.
Thanks for reigniting the thread Schlep otherwise I would've remained ignorant of them.

And thanks for the thread Marina.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Wed Sep 11, 2013 15:04

Kayo Dot have come roaring back to life. Get in.
Hubardo

Here is a full and explicit description by one more arti-c-c-u-late
http://www.byvolume.co.uk/kayo-dot-hubardo/

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sat Sep 21, 2013 21:42

Jeepers. Little bump - this might be my favorite album for 2013; in a year that has plenty of contenders (Just got "The Exquisite Corpse Game" in the mail yesterday).

It's made me go back and appreciate their other albums better too - the review linked to ("By Volume") above is helpful but the reviewer's viewpoint is skewed toward the more metallic (I use the term loosely) end of their discography. Fair enough. It's all worthwhile though, for those who dance differently.
("Gamma Knife" is the only thing I can't totally get with, for being murkily live-recorded.)

"Hubardo" is in a curious stage of self-release right now...the pre-orders end this evening, not sure what happens after that. Maybe they have a distribution deal in the offing.
Listen listen!
The quirky Americana of the bg vocal arrangement (Jessika Kenney singing) and Rowland Howard style reverb guitar figure in this one. "Tune" I say!
And He Built Him a Boat

The everso album closer:
Passing the River

Here's a free download, two tunes from 'Blue Lambency...' and one from 'Choirs..' live in 2008
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Kayo_Dot/

I'm feeling fairly privileged to live in the belly of the Confederacy, for once - as Kayo Dot are touring the southeast in November, including a stop in Richmond, one mile from my front door as the crow flies....I'm a bit excited.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Oct 14, 2013 15:26

Bumping this one. more. time. What is WRONG with you people? Have you heard music like this before? (and...Can you ever hear surf music again?)
Not going to be to everyone's taste of course...self-described as "progressive rock, avant-goth, weird metal, undefinable band based in Brooklyn NY."

Mr Driver keeps removing all non-approved YouTube links to tracks from Hubardo - wish I could post Crown-In-the-Muck or Zlida Caosgi - but here's another approved one. Features some nice King Crimson 'Red'-type guitar and sax blasting toward the end

THIEF

Download the album

For those of us living on the US East coast, treats are in store next month. I suppose if they can get enough scratch together, a regular cd release, overseas touring etc. could be possible...to go back to the whole discussion of 'how do musicians making un-pop music do it'...

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Mon Oct 14, 2013 17:28

schlep wrote:Bumping this one. more. time. What is WRONG with you people? Have you heard music like this before? (and...Can you ever hear surf music again?)
Not going to be to everyone's taste of course...self-described as "progressive rock, avant-goth, weird metal, undefinable band based in Brooklyn NY."

Schlep, when I was here two years ago I did a lot of ripping apart music that people just got done raving about. Remember the number I did on poor Marnie Stern? Since I've come back I've decided that's not either civil or particularly fair, tastes are different, and if somebody posts something that I really don't like, the better part of valor is to simply say nothing at all.

So there's nothing WRONG with me, schlep. I was just trying to be ... you know ... polite.
Mr Driver keeps removing all non-approved YouTube links to tracks from Hubardo - wish I could post Crown-In-the-Muck or Zlida Caosgi - but here's another approved one. Features some nice King Crimson 'Red'-type guitar and sax blasting toward the end

THIEF

Okay, only because you seem to be so strenuously trying to elicit a reaction, I shall give it to you. There's nobody home, so I blasted that track to get the full effect.

Schlep, it's horrible. No, not just it's not my cuppa like St. Vincent or something. It appears to be objectively horrible. As in ... talentless noise. A bunch of dudes stoned out of their minds in a loft trying to make the loudest and most chaotic jumble of sounds possible. They succeeded.

But maybe there's something exquisitely subtle that I just don't get.

Or maybe the music is horrible.

Hey, if I want Brooklyn crazy, there's always Behold... the Arctopus ::twisted:

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Mr Technique
All Spectacular

Postby Mr Technique » Mon Oct 14, 2013 17:36

Like Kayo Dot well enough, I just haven't given the new one a listen.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Oct 14, 2013 18:05

Mr Snard, I am amazed - I thought this was a band that was lyrical and yet, so mind-bogglingly COMPLEX and difficult, to my poor ear anyway, that you would at least be partly on board. Oh well. Objectively horrible. :) Thanks for admirable restraint, before chiming in.

FOR THOSE SO INCLINED to take in this stoner hipster nonsense, I will wax on :The new album is their Sing To God, I think. 100 minutes of everything but the kitchen sink being thrown at you. It's meant to be an observance of KD's 10th year of existence, a summing up, incorporating the more metalloid approach of early Kayo Dot, along with the more loosely structured later stuff of Blue Lambency and Coyote.

Toby Driver mostly plays bass (and sings) in this incarnation, the new guitarist is Ron Varod, he fills a big space on this album.
Amazing drummer, there are drum patterns here that I haven't heard before!