Tragically Late to the Whole World Window.

This is the place for new members to introduce themselves. don be shy, weŕe all fishies in the pond now aren we?

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

CaseyChristopher
Bronze Cardiac

Re: Tragically Late to the Whole World Window.

Postby CaseyChristopher » Tue Sep 16, 2014 03:07

Great observations overall.

DOes anyone know where Gloomy News originated? I can't find the original song on any discography lists. It just magically shows up on Garage Concerts vol1. But... if its a songs written when they were "babies" then I figured it would be Obvious Identity, Toy World, or The Seaside.

Would love to hear the original. Also I can't wait until the Bumming Shed films. Oh BLu Ray please.

I did notice they were playing Gloomy News right before they start As Cold as Can be....

"It ends now.... fvck it..." "Brilliant..." "Can we do that again...."

"You think you're going to get it better... I don't think..."

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Wed Sep 17, 2014 00:32

CaseyChristopher wrote:Great observations overall.

DOes anyone know where Gloomy News originated? I can't find the original song on any discography lists. It just magically shows up on Garage Concerts vol1. But... if its a songs written when they were "babies" then I figured it would be Obvious Identity, Toy World, or The Seaside.

Dunno. Just one of those songs (along with some great lost tunes like "The New General" and "The Bitter Pill") that they played live in the early days but never got around to recording, probably. From 1980-84 it seems like the line-up was changing pretty much constantly and a lot of stuff, particularly around the time Mark Cawthra left and Bill Drake joined, just got lost along the way. I think 1981 is the earliest time it turns up on a live recording.
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

andrewb
Gold Cardiac

Postby andrewb » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:04

Pheeel wrote: I think 1981 is the earliest time it turns up on a live recording.

hey caseychris

you'll find 'gloomy news' in the following live recordings, all lovingly preserved for you in our tadpole jar:

roehampton vale 1981(?)
white horse inn, launceston 1981
oxford polytechnic 1981

pm me your email address to get a hold of them

CaseyChristopher
Bronze Cardiac

Postby CaseyChristopher » Thu Sep 18, 2014 20:06

:D P.ost M.eridian

Sent. :D

CaseyChristopher
Bronze Cardiac

Postby CaseyChristopher » Thu Sep 18, 2014 23:05

These are GREAT! There is a few different lines in Gloomy News on two of the 1981 shows. Is that Sarah singing? "abcdefg". :D

Thanks for that list. :D :eeeek: 8) :shock: