Knifeworld album

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sat Sep 05, 2009 16:18

It's a dense and varied grower. I'm hearing some very nice bits of mid-period King Crimson.
The cover's a hoot, a well-made hoot of course.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Re: Knifeworld album

Postby schlep » Sat Sep 05, 2009 16:39

This album has been playing and resounding in my skull for about two weeks now, it's really really good isn't it! And seems like it will continue to be, like Cardiacs records, it has layers and layers of pennies yet to drop.
Kavus and his drummer are geniuses of rhythm, the beat continually changing, going backward and forward, or hovering in place, underneath all the rest of the songs.
"Me To the Future of You" is a grower, I didn't know what Ady was talking about but now I begin to see!
Thanks Kavus - and all who helped make this, a great unexpected thing to drop into the pond, for our beleaguered fishy souls to cleave to.

edit: oops I said 'grower' right after dogs did. Grower. I did it again.
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

alfinwecl
New fish

Re:

Postby alfinwecl » Sat Sep 05, 2009 18:49

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 18:08

I got my copy today,very good indeed on first listening.
:)

shiroihage
Silver Cardiac

Postby shiroihage » Wed Sep 16, 2009 09:24

This album is splendid isn't it? I love tracks 9 and 11. Especially 9 has gorgeous little cardiacsy bits in it and the behemoth melody line of "You'll get that I'm afraid there's been an accident call soon". the only prob is it ends too soon, but maybe that's what makes it so compelling- and leaves you wanting more!
I ordered mine on the Net and then got all excited and ordered a shitload of stuff from various places (incl. Bill's excellent solo efforts and the NSRO newish one.) Aah the dangers/joys of credit cards...

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Wed Sep 16, 2009 17:57

there's loads off stuff that sounds or reminds me of other bands i like,which is good cos its not done in a blatent rippy offy way.

its done a fair few rotations in the car now!

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Wed Sep 16, 2009 18:26

It is good alright. I'll tell you who Kavus sounds like when he's singing, Joe Jackson that's who, in fact some of them sound like Joe Jackson all round, in their big thumping arrangements.

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Wed Sep 16, 2009 18:55

he's a bit Graham Coxon every now and then too.

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Sat Oct 10, 2009 14:19

This has just turned up on Spotify! I shall be listening! In fact I'm listening AS WE SPEAK

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Sat Oct 10, 2009 14:50

Bloody ell this is good innit!

Glad to hear it's a grower, I got some new speakers and shall be having a smoke and a proper blast of this later. Pissed up on Brake Fluid has got that longing, journeying sound that I used to look for in everything I listened to. Absolutely beautiful.

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Sat Oct 10, 2009 20:28

Yeah, this is definitely a grower. It's so dense with textures and sounds it's almost too much to take in at first, even more so than some Cardiacs stuff. But perseverance definitely rewards.

Does "Severed Of Horsehoof" remind anyone else of The Shrubbies?
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

snowman
Cardiacs Expert

Postby snowman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 19:33

...here i go posting after 1 (one!) beer on an empty stomach...

just listened to the album on spotify, and concluded that i'll have to buy it after all, despite me (sorry - i had a lovely little chat with him about henry cow, gong and king crimson at a party once before i'd even heard of 'cardiacs' and can vouch for him being an absolutely smashing and lovely bloke - but i have make-or-break reactions to certain folks' voices - just can't help it). ANYWAY, money shot, torch, and the gorgeous cycling sequence of the last track (forgotton what it's called - lucky kavus to unearth/compose such a winner!) have sucked me in...

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 03:14

Yes, if his voice were a face it'd look like mine. It seems to have a disagreable tooth-lipped tinge to it. It's wierd, you could say the same about beck and I love his voice. It must be a very subtle, personal, random thing.
William D Drake has an unfortunate voice you have to get over too. Maybe beck and and bill know they're not cool, is that insert as ironic as we assume? :D
The lyrics are just all over the shop, a total mess, bilge, a big smokey fart of nothingness. Gollum box torrent, equine jug, arse marathon.
If you punched a geek and he was then explaining to you why he, after everything, has won, despite the physical discomfort, it'd probably sound like a cardiacs offshoot.
Not too fond of knifeworld after everything, kind of floated away on the ether of itself.

I've had 1 beer too but my stomach is never empty.

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 14:26

Wow, I think I disagree with every single word you just said.

"bilge"? Come on, that's just unfair.

And it's "equine jerk".
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

shiroihage
Silver Cardiac

Postby shiroihage » Thu Oct 15, 2009 14:44

I think Clippa's being a bit unfair about that Knifeworld album. It's the best new album I've heard this year by far...although I'm way open to being proved wrong. Kavus' voice aint so great but neither is Tim Smith's eh? Even the weaker tracks on the album are still revealing stuff after many listens.
It's also really original stuff I reckon. I'd love to see them live.