Archive Cardiacs

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

higgy
All Spectacular

Postby higgy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 18:20

Batesy wrote:Ah, sorry. I'm afraid I come at Cardiacs from a pop angle rather than a prog one. I tried some early Genesis recently and it made me want to peel my skin off and stuff it in my ears. :D

That good eh?

My reaction to Cardiacs on the first couple of listens was similar.

Don't be put off.

I can imagine getting off on the wrong foot though, it's not all as good. Try "The Musical Box" or "The Fountain of Salmacis" from Nursery Cryme, or, better still "Can, Utility and the Coastliners" from "Foxtrot".

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 18:31

higgy wrote:
Batesy wrote:Ah, sorry. I'm afraid I come at Cardiacs from a pop angle rather than a prog one. I tried some early Genesis recently and it made me want to peel my skin off and stuff it in my ears. :D

That good eh?

My reaction to Cardiacs on the first couple of listens was similar.

Don't be put off.

I can imagine getting off on the wrong foot though, it's not all as good. Try "The Musical Box" or "The Fountain of Salmacis" from Nursery Cryme, or, better still "Can, Utility and the Coastliners" from "Foxtrot".

You're absolutely right - I need to give Genesis a bit more time I think. I just can't get that cheeky chappy Collins out of my mind - kind of ruins things for me sadly.

It was an overly brash response in hindsight - there are lots of prog moments in my music collection so I should just learn to think before I type. I felt a flush of shame when I read Schlep's big ship comment! :oops: :D

Ally Craig
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Ally Craig » Tue May 08, 2007 11:43

I've been listening to the Garage Concerts and Archive Cardiacs a lot recently. It's amazing how absolutely like Cardiacs they already sounded back then. As others have mentioned, As Cold As Can Be is a storming (no pun intended) tune, I love it. It kind of sickens me that I'm older than they were when they did that, and I have nowhere near that level of ability. Damn them and bless them, those Cardiacs.