Tim Smiths Extra Special Oceanland Land World

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Ady
cardiacs folky

Re: Tim Smiths Extra Special Oceanland Land World

Postby Ady » Sun Oct 17, 2010 21:43

i'm playing this for the first time in ages.....what with Tim Smith Day upon us....i urge you to go get this album on your listening machine.....DAMN i forgot how bloody amazing this album is......shit its had a sudden rebirth in my skin flesh body........... :D :D :D :D

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 21:48

Ady wrote:i'm playing this for the first time in ages.....what with Tim Smith Day upon us....i urge you to go get this album on your listening machine.....DAMN i forgot how bloody amazing this album is......shit its had a sudden rebirth in my skin flesh body........... :D :D :D :D

What a great idea i will fire up too !

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 01:25

Do you know where I can find on the internet the lyrics from this album?
Of course they are in the booklet but I would avoid to transcribe all of them... :D
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sun Jun 22, 2014 17:25

Some lovely writing, as ever, by Dann Chinn, to mark the reissue of OceanLandWorld: Misfit City, 3 June 2014

psparky27

Re:

Postby psparky27 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 06:46

dogsetc. wrote:Some lovely writing, as ever, by Dann Chinn, to mark the reissue of OceanLandWorld: Misfit City, 3 June 2014

You can see this guy is a genuine fan :)

By the by did anyone get a copy of this. I was wondering if it is the original pressings or a new batch.Want to get a copy for a friend just wondering if the same as the one I have?

Nearly 20 years old !seems like only yesterday this came out !

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Mon Jun 23, 2014 09:59

Just picked mine up from the sorting office, and it looks like a brand new thing. It's going to be marvellous to listen to properly after the computer mp3 i've been getting by with.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 21:51

Listened to it from a proper CD, sitting in a proper chair, coming out of a proper stereo. Read the lyrics along with it, and enjoyed it immensely... and was surprised to have quite emotional moments. I didn't notice that it's raw in production, slung together, or whatever the consensus is on its making.

I now get the Snake one, and 'Bug From Heaven' is a little masterpiece, how did he make that lyric work so perfectly...?

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Re:

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Jun 25, 2014 04:45

dogsetc. wrote:Some lovely writing, as ever, by Dann Chinn, to mark the reissue of OceanLandWorld: Misfit City, 3 June 2014

Wow, Dan Chinn ... I was just cleaning out some old PMs and found a bunch of his; I'm glad I didn't miss him when he was here all-too-briefly. Yeah, that's very good music writing and the guy obviously gets Tim. He draws a poignant connection to the events in his and Cardiacs history and without gossiping, gets us to think about the dissolution of his marriage to Sarah.

The album didn't click with me when I heard it on YouTube (I've never collected the side projects) but I did have Veronica in Ecstasy on my first Cardiacs tape my Brit friend mailed me.

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 05:06

"In the long term, it seems that the baggy, unlikely, familial mass of Cardiacs-people (with their collective love of music and their sense of common adversity and purpose) managed to accommodate and contain the various splits and departures without lasting bitterness."

This is a very interesting passage. At the time there was hardly any bitterness from the fans as far as I could tell. Well not at the gigs anyway. At new cross, UCL and the Grand the atmosphere was still buzzing. As was pretty much all the gigs at that time. I think when material was being played from HBAEB things would drop off a bit. No more than any other bands I have seen that is playing their newest stuff. In some ways those tunes were more suited to the the new 4 piece set up.

There was a few problems with the older tracks when using the "tapes" (not sure if that is the correct term for the extra pieces of music being used other than the live instraments). This was a band finding its feet again after losing so many inflencial and important members of the group.

I think the Day is Gone single really worked well as a transition for the new live sound and usually 3 tracks from the single was played. I always looked forward to plankton live. 8)

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Jun 25, 2014 07:19

Wow, after checking the lyrics, I just listened to Sleeping With The Snake on YouTube ... as Dan says, what a haunting and profound tune about the ending of a love relationship ...

I love how that offbeat arpeggio rises up in the chorus to dominate the song.

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 22:30

The whole album is full of striking bits of lyrical brilliance that seem to come from nowhere and knock you for six when you actually realise what he's singing.

From England's:

"Instead I drink the tiny whirlpools that make
me skid and turn
in my sleep
where I burn"

And the last verse of "Ocean Heaven":

"Our ship is like a family
One million miles
From the shoreline
Memory is my medal
To touch me, and run away"

This Grounds Town is just astonishing, it's almost like it's impossible to fully appreciate until you actually see it written down and think "fvcking hell." We dream all night, we are awake, we chomp on wood we're worm not snake...
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

"everyone's a screwball it don't make us mad"

Postby Bubby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 22:57

It took me a long time to fully appreciate this, but once i got it i listened to nothing else for days. I think i actually prefer it to the Spratleys album.

This Grounds Town, Ocean Shipwreck/Heaven, Swimming With The Snake, Savour and Veronica In Ecstacy are some of my favourite Tim songs of all time and the experiments with more stripped back, repetitious material are really unique and interesting considering how much of Tim's music generally chops and changes every 17 seconds. I remember listening on headphones to Ocean Shipwreck in bed one morning and it suddenly hit me how amazing it was, with the churning repetition giving way the those orchestral (i presume) synth washes. I've rarely felt chills like it 8)

The bass on Ocean Heaven is demented. It's one of the happiest songs i know.

Weirdly, my least favourite track is the first one, i guess it could be seen as something of a soft opener before the Pixies-esque madness of Rat Mice Lice Time.
Bob wrote:Wow, after checking the lyrics, I just listened to Sleeping With The Snake on YouTube ... as Dan says, what a haunting and profound tune about the ending of a love relationship ...

I think Sarah gone done hurt him ::cry:

It's soooo bloody sad. I get a similar feeling when i hear Up In Annies Room or Lily Whites Party. It's almost uncomfortable to listen to. too personal.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 22:06

Thanks Pheeel and Bubby, great posts, and thanks for holding my hand. :)

It's stunningly good. I don't think i've consciously left it aside, but i'm amazed how my perception of it has magnified now with it in CD form. Many many listens to look forward to...

Savour guarantees a hopeless lump in the throat.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 22:49

agreed pheeel your post was very heart felt .

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 19:12

Did Tim really write and play nearly the entire album all by himself? I don't know why I've never asked this question before.
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

Return to “Albums”