Tim Smiths Extra Special Oceanland Land World

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Tue Feb 13, 2007 05:33

Hear hear!
Well I want to read the rant he put on Pet Lamb's cd - c'mon let's have it Pet...!
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:35

...another copy has started to hit nutty prices on the ebay, with 8 days still to go;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TIM-SMITH-OCEANLAND-WORLD-1995-CD-CARDIACS-EXC-COND_W0QQitemZ330087843819QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2250QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...strangely, there's still one here that hasn't gone through the roof yet, and this one only has 4 days to go;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tim-Smiths-Extra-Special-OceanlandworldCardiacs_W0QQitemZ120086267006QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2250QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

..if you don't yet own a copy though, I'd seriously just keep your powder dry and wait a while...based on NO insider knowledge whatsoever, just the application of common sense, I'd say you'll probably be able to get one from Cardiacs.com before the years out, and then the giggling shoe will be on the other foot, and you'll be able to have a good smirk at those of us who snapped and paid silly money in the darker backrooms of the interweb...

...woof...

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Tue Feb 13, 2007 13:22

schlep wrote:Well I want to read the rant he put on Pet Lamb's cd - c'mon let's have it Pet...!

Sorry...can't do that...it is very personal... :shock:

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Tue Feb 13, 2007 15:41

Well Pet, I've just written a little rant about you on the back of a forklift parts list, and it is very personal too. And I'm not going to show it to you neither! :D

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Tue Feb 13, 2007 16:50

schlep wrote:on the back of a forklift parts list

Ooooh...sounds interesting... :wink:

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:16

Forklifts have a great number of parts; he'll have been lucky if he's been able to squeeze you round the edges :oops:.

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:44

Made Of Worms wrote:Forklifts have a great number of parts; he'll have been lucky if he's been able to squeeze you round the edges :oops:.

:lol: :lol: :shock:

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Sat Jun 23, 2007 03:16

How ruddy bloody good is this album? Are there any words anywhere? Failing that, are there any pictures of konnie huq in her knickers?

djbladdered
Gold Cardiac

Postby djbladdered » Fri Jul 06, 2007 00:26

'This Grounds Town', and the 'Ocean' duo are massive! For those who yearn to hear it 'Pirate Bay' download site has it (I'm not paying 40 quid!)
In Ocean Heaven 'Dog Like Sparky' piano riff? Ha!
Who are the musicians on it? It says all instruments played by Tim Smith but that is a proper drummer on much of it yes? Is that him? Or brilliant drum machine programming?
Plumrose

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sun Jul 15, 2007 16:56

I don't have the actual ABC approved version, but supposedly there are lyrics included, and supposedly everything drums and all are the product of Tim all by himself (~?).
I'm racking my brain trying to think of great (or even just sorta good) self-produced one man pop records.

Todd Rundgren 'Something/Anything' (and I think he's done one or two others - 'Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect')
Stevie Wonder?
Prince? did one or two-?
McCartney s/t and Ram

There must be tons more, but none are coming to my mind and the ones I listed all really sound like they were artificially constructed. McCartney made a virtue of sounding sloppy. Rundgren would actually overdub each drum and cymbal on a separate track - which gets the job done but sounds spastic and weird.

Unlike all the above, OceanLandWorld actually sounds like it could be a real band playing - and it's jammed full of wonderful, solidly constructed tunes which you can listen to forever and never get tired of.
The closing three songs - Bug From Heaven, Veronica in Ecstasy, Ocean Heaven - :D :D :D
But the whole thing really!
It seems like a redheaded stepchild and footnote to Cardiacs discography - except to those that have heard it. Another proof of genius.

So, was there a 'real' drummer involved in some way?
Can anyone think of other decent one man (or woman) records?

steve adams
big dogs knob

Postby steve adams » Sun Jul 15, 2007 17:09

sarah does play sax on englands :)
get well soon tim smith !!!

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Sun Jul 15, 2007 17:43

schlep wrote:Can anyone think of other decent one man (or woman) records?

Decent....? Well, the one that sprang to mind and was lauded very much as such, was the prodigious Tubular Bells by the young hairy Mike Oldfield.

Eddy
Silver Cardiac

Postby Eddy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 17:45

steve adams wrote:sarah does play sax on englands :)

that's a good track

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sun Jul 15, 2007 17:51

dogsetc. wrote:

Decent....? Well, the one that sprang to mind and was lauded very much as such, was the prodigious Tubular Bells by the young hairy Mike Oldfield.

:oops: shame embarassment - yeah that's a good one.

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Sun Jul 15, 2007 18:19

state songs by john linnell is fantastic, one of my favourite albums, just as the giants were going shite, he released that, has had me pointing the finger at flansy ever since :D
He produced it, but he does have people playing drums, bass, violin and so on some songs so it's not really a one man album but I can't think of any.