The very first Cardiacs song you heard and...

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Mon Jan 08, 2007 17:23

The best thing about Fiery Gun Hand which I spotted the other day is the tubular bell in the Zappa section. BELLS!!!! HELLS BELL!!!! It's rediculous.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Mon Jan 08, 2007 17:43

Engine Ear wrote:i think it was Angleworm Angel but i remember i didnt like it. it was just unpleasant to be honest.. i didnt like it one bit! but i just kept at it and listened to more n more and it eventually grew on me like a fungus. a fungus of love!

I just wondered if anyone would dare to start the unthinkable thread:
'Is there a Cardiacs song you don't like?'. Lights fuse, and legs it...

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 18:49

I know of at least one person who doesn't like one particular song ;) I'm not naming names...

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Jan 08, 2007 19:57

dogs999 wrote:
Engine Ear wrote:i think it was Angleworm Angel but i remember i didnt like it. it was just unpleasant to be honest.. i didnt like it one bit! but i just kept at it and listened to more n more and it eventually grew on me like a fungus. a fungus of love!

I just wondered if anyone would dare to start the unthinkable thread:
'Is there a Cardiacs song you don't like?'. Lights fuse, and legs it...

(picks up smoking bomb, holds to ear and shakes it)
I'm not a big fan of Angleworm Angel either, sometimes - those huge backwards-sucking drum sounds, the 'try and we try..' chorus is a little tedious. I didn't much like Burn Your House Brown the first few times I heard it....it's not all e-z to love by any means.
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Mon Jan 08, 2007 20:03

Spinney, one of the B-side tracks on the Manhoo single, leaves me cold, I'm afraid...that jarring combination of what starts out as a gentle folksy acoustic ballad, interspersed with ugly blasts of unnecessary guitar/drum thrash...Tim, what were you thinking?

(pulls pin from hand grenade, drops hand grenade down trousers...) :shock:

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Mon Jan 08, 2007 20:54

schlep wrote:I'm not a big fan of Angleworm Angel either, sometimes - those huge backwards-sucking drum sounds, the 'try and we try..' chorus is a little tedious. I didn't much like Burn Your House Brown the first few times I heard it....it's not all e-z to love by any means.

Just copied this from somewhere else, i was in the wrong department (over in the hip-hop):
Still not sure whether this 'Cardiacs You Hate' thread should be kicked off, maybe it's up and running along here already. In which case i'd just like to state that i can't stand 'Is This the Life' -- starts off like Simple Minds (not The Moody Blues), and that guitar solo sets my teeth on edge.

Just listened to Angelworm Angel as loudly as i could bear -- i think i like everything about it especially that it seems to start reversing once or twice. Be terrible if we all agreed.

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 20:57

There have been a few songs that i didnt like at first,they all won me over in the end though.
Im still on the fence about faster than snakes though.

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:48

Meenie wrote:There have been a few songs that i didnt like at first,they all won me over in the end though.

Never! That song is rediculously good.

I don't like some of the early early stuff, it's far too plodding and doesn't really go anywhere. An Ant, A Bus for a bus on the bus, Ice a Spot and a Dot on the Dog... A few others. Not to say that some of the early early stuff isn't incredible, I still can't believe Icky Qualms is the first song they ever wrote, it's one of their best!

Basically before The Seaside I think they were a teensy bit directionless at times. From The Seaside onwards however it's 100% inspired genius!!!

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:52

Ice A Spot...is great! You're insane! etc.
We should put this thread in a burlap sack and dump it overboard.

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:53

Gubbinz wrote:
Meenie wrote:There have been a few songs that i didnt like at first,they all won me over in the end though.

Never! That song is rediculously good.

I don't like some of the early early stuff, it's far too plodding and doesn't really go anywhere. An Ant, A Bus for a bus on the bus, Ice a Spot and a Dot on the Dog... A few others. Not to say that some of the early early stuff isn't incredible, I still can't believe Icky Qualms is the first song they ever wrote, it's one of their best!

Basically before The Seaside I think they were a teensy bit directionless at times. From The Seaside onwards however it's 100% inspired genius!!!

I really like an ant and abus and ice a spot,me and you are gonna have to step outside me finx! :shock:

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:54

:(

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:55

aaaw you've made me feel all bad now!
come and have a cuddle! :D

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Mon Jan 08, 2007 22:29

*snivel* ok....

:)

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Tue Jan 09, 2007 15:20

I was slobbering at the pub to someone about Cardiacs last night, and promised to send this fortunate person the link to 'Tarred and Feathered' at least, today (I threw a couple of other things on there too).
Looking at that video again this morning - it's still completely shocking and hilarious to watch! The white picket fencing around the drum kit is a nice touch I hadn't really noticed before.

Chinners
Flower shop girl that sells tat

Postby Chinners » Tue Jan 09, 2007 16:23

Hope Day at the Marquay . . . . . possibly
I saw a cluster of DOGS