The very first Cardiacs song you heard and...

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

The very first Cardiacs song you heard and...

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Thu Jan 04, 2007 16:52

..where and when you heard it.

mine was Nurses Whispering Verses played to me on a cassette in a friends house in Old Coulsden in 1989.

A hsort while later he then gave m a cassette copy of On Land and in the Sea, so those in order where the next songs I heard.

I then went out and bought on vinyl Songs for Ships and Irons

And my next group of songs was HB&EB which I also bought on vinyl when it came out.

Then I started buying up all the vinyl albums and singles and bootlegs I coud bet my filthy grabbing little gland....errm...hands on!!! ;)

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Thu Jan 04, 2007 16:57

Is This The Life from the old sampler page.

Brilliant but not life changing. THEN came Angleworm Angel and Burn Your House Brown in quick succession... Dear lord... The terror... The horror...

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Thu Jan 04, 2007 17:03

Heard, and just as importantly Saw, 'Tarred and Feathered' on the youtube. Yeah, the horror of it! Tim Quy's googly eyes, Bill's painty mouth...looking like a lot of messy, noisy Mimes....but then I couldn't quite work out what it was that I had witnessed, and kept going back to look again. Then watched 'RES'...then bought 'Guns' and now can never shut up about the goddamned CARDIACS!
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 17:36

I've gibbered about it somewhere else on here but it was Is This The Life when it was Gary Davies' single of the week on his Radio One lunchtime show back in 1988. I was 15 and a besotted Smiths and Cure fan then along came Cardiacs and everything went gloriously wonky. The second I hear those drums in the intro I get goosebumps.

God - it'll be 20 years next year! I am going to celebrate!

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Thu Jan 04, 2007 20:22

a freind of mine had the maresnest live cd-he played me the first track and i remember saying"what the f**k is this! this is f**king incredible!"-i was 15 at the time-within the next month after this i managed to get hold of maresnest cd-two years later i got a job in a record store-and got all the albums and the video(i got the video of marenest for a fiver at the time!)within the first month of employment.-well the ones that were released at the time

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Thu Jan 04, 2007 20:28

It was something off the download page on Cardiacs site but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was. I remember thinking it was really nice and poppy but fragmented like they couldn't decide which song they wanted to play. It jarred a bit but was nice and warm like being hugged and slapped at the same time. I can't remember when that was, just a couple of years ago I reckon.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Thu Jan 04, 2007 20:49

schlep wrote:Heard, and just as importantly Saw, 'Tarred and Feathered' on the youtube.

Same with me schlep, then i watched the others that were up at the time, particularly Dog-Like Sparky, and Dinnertime... i also loved the comments to the clips -- i thought here's something i should know about, but i didn't, but i'm bloody glad i do now

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Sat Jan 06, 2007 21:10

dogs999 wrote:
schlep wrote:Heard, and just as importantly Saw, 'Tarred and Feathered' on the youtube.

Same with me schlep, then i watched the others that were up at the time, particularly Dog-Like Sparky, and Dinnertime... i also loved the comments to the clips -- i thought here's something i should know about, but i didn't, but i'm bloody glad i do now

Yep! Another seduced by You Tube's copy of "Tarred & Feathered" - albeit after seeing them on The Tube all those years ago but never finding out the name...they sat in the back on my mind cackling away, awaiting THE DAY OF REVELATION!

Whereupon they smote my bank account's ruin! :D

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Sun Jan 07, 2007 03:21

first ever song for me i cant remember really, first time i saw cardiacs was also first time i ever heard one of their songs, cant really remember which song that was, but i suppose its the first song on the live record. which would be the icing on the world
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 00:15

Ive been through all this before and im not embarassing myself all over again! :D

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Mon Jan 08, 2007 00:33

Meenie wrote:Ive been through all this before and im not embarassing myself all over again! :D

Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on... :D

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Mon Jan 08, 2007 13:24

Jibber & Twitch....1990(ish) at a squat in St.Helens, Lancashire. And I've never looked back :)

Engine Ear
New fish

Postby Engine Ear » Mon Jan 08, 2007 17:13

i think it was Angleworm Angel but i remember i didnt like it. it was just unpleasant to be honest.. i didnt like it one bit! but i just kept at it and listened to more n more and it eventually grew on me like a fungus. a fungus of love!

Fiery Gun Hand was the one that made it for me!

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Mon Jan 08, 2007 17:15

Engine Ear wrote:i think it was Angleworm Angel but i remember i didnt like it. it was just unpleasant to be honest.. i didnt like it one bit! but i just kept at it and listened to more n more and it eventually grew on me like a fungus. a fungus of love!

HA! An unbeliever! I knew Cardiacs were the one for me right from the start! Even through the terror and mind numbing confusion, something deep inside me had been stirred... And to think.... You owe me so much poor child... Mike Patton... Tim Smith... THE AQUABATS.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Jan 08, 2007 17:20

Engine Ear wrote:

Oh yeah, that's a mighty fine tune...I was just listening to Sing To God 1 yesterday, flabbergasted with wonder at the huge honking brilliance thereof. Especially Manhoo, and Tim didn't even write that one but it still sounds just like a Cardiacs tune.
Do you know what I mean to say

I meant to say to you today

A day goes by I try thats why

I try to speak to you today