Garage Concerts

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Garage Concerts

Postby Bubby » Wed Nov 22, 2006 01:11

Do you like these 'uns then?

I've always had trouble with the early scratchy scrawly stuff, made my brain cave in it did, but hearing the same songs all tarted up and proper on these albums i realise most of it's just as brilliant.I am a tit.

Had Dead Mouse going on repeat in my head all day.

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Wed Nov 22, 2006 01:17

I'm totally with you Mr Swindler! Just played CD 2 in the car home an hour ago! They're glued to my CD player in fact! It's a real treasure having all these little gems in a brand new power rock style on 2 nice CD's! To me this was a whole other experience than just a Live CD. In a way these were two NEW albums! :D

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Wed Nov 22, 2006 01:30

I love them too, nice and wirey. The perfect antidote to their more polished, produced stuff. Pure stripped back raw baldy goodness.
they've both had pride of place right next to my cd player upstairs since I got them :D

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Wed Nov 22, 2006 01:45

this is what we like, as seen in scrumbly bleery YouTube style, it's punk, it's not, it's new to us, it's LIVE.
the two albums-worth not yet heard.

dog like marky
All Spectacular

Postby dog like marky » Wed Nov 22, 2006 02:02

Ah now we are talking ! its a breath of fresh air the live sound ive been hearing for years at gigs and craving on each new release is in easy reach for another fix!
i just have to floor the stereo when i put these on
Yet more mis-spelled long winded waffle without Grammar

alomar
Silver Cardiac

Postby alomar » Wed Nov 22, 2006 09:46

Really, I'm just listening this double album! A great and intence performance, lucky you who were at the concerts! I don't miss the original sax parts, and the recorded keybords sounds fit perfecly with the new version on the songs, renewed with a superb live energy. I think that only Cardiacs with their madness/geniality could cope with such an ambitious and strange project!

Franco

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:12

whippersnapper wrote:To me this was a whole other experience than just a Live CD. In a way these were two NEW albums! :D

My feelings exactly whippersnapper...I used to feel (rightly or wrongly...mostly wrongly) that you could listen to your fave band on album and/or go and see em live in concert, with the 'live album' being a bit of a poor cousin that you'd buy begrudgingly, out of loyalty or whatever...however, the Garage Concerts totally cleaned my clock on that one...dunno how the idea to polish off the old stuff and re-present it came about but someone deserves a medal...just awesome!
and the between song banter does make me giggle...'Thats right, it MUST be an ants nest...'

The Mop™
Silver Cardiac

Postby The Mop™ » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:54

I love those Garage discs. It really shows off what the boyos can pull off in a live situation, I heard these prior to seeing Cardiacs perform live. It's all so tight, so well produced, such energy, I just feel awe inspired by all 4 musicians. That and Gibber and Twitch and RES are the most fun songs to play ever. :D
My ridiculous world - http://www.themopcollective.co.uk

Bubby
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Bubby » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:59

'Thats right, it MUST be an ants nest...'

That's when he's talking to Jon in the crowd innit? anyone know why he shouts some bollocks about Superman II before it kicks in?

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Wed Nov 22, 2006 14:00

Dapper Swindler wrote:

That's when he's talking to Jon in the crowd innit? anyone know why he shouts some bollocks about Superman II before it kicks in?

No idea. But I love it when everybody starts shouting and Tim shouts "I'M TALKING TO JONNY!!!", really makes me laugh (as I know now what a kind person he really is)

PS: In my opinion the versions of songs like 'As cold...', 'Hope Day' and 'A balloon...' really do just to the brilliant compositions. I mean THIS is how these songs were meant to sound in the first place!

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Wed Nov 22, 2006 14:01

Dapper Swindler wrote:

I thought it was something to do with Pamela Stephenson being in the film and Billy Connolly being her husband and Tim not knowing that...but I could be wrong...!! :wink:

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Wed Nov 22, 2006 14:56

As Franco said - superb energy!

I like the bit at the very end of Gibber and Twitch where Tim slightly flubs a line-!, and finds time to say 'oh (fnuck)' before tearing into the next one.
Hope Day is fantastic. My congratulations to whoever was in that pond, good job singing along on that!
(Can't wait to hear Garage vol 2. Unfortunately can't just afford to buy everything the ABC has on offer, in one shot - but there's always something else to look forward to)

dog like marky
All Spectacular

Postby dog like marky » Wed Nov 22, 2006 15:35

Dapper Swindler wrote:

That was the time Kavus wasnt Officially in the band and Jon was off doing the Wildhearts tour supporting Motorhead ,but on the third night it was finished so he came to watch (he said to me something about it being great to watch a Cardiacs Gig from down here)
Yet more mis-spelled long winded waffle without Grammar

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Wed Nov 22, 2006 20:39

it like someone said earlier-its not like havin two live albums-it more like two NEW albums :D

Darwin Goodman
Gold Cardiac

Postby Darwin Goodman » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:02

To cut a short story even shorter:

arresting stuff!
'There was a time when she did rain me gone ted'