Heaven Born and Ever Bright

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

chippy
Cardiacs Expert

Postby chippy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 17:07

brother abnego wrote:
clippa wrote:Does anyone with the '91 version want to do nice high quality 320kbs non joint-stereo mp3s? Just for the people who already own the album, like? I'm guessing the answer is "no" but it's always worth a shot :D I'd have to be rich to ever hear it.

...I don't personally have a problem with, say, upping an mp3 version of the (deleted and unavailable) 1991 HBaEB to the pond, but in the interest of appeasing the 'home taping is killing music' people, I'll only do so if an admin says its ok (a pm has been sent to ABC to that effect): while some folk see no harm in a bit of file sharing amongst friends (who already own the 1995 version), other folk seem to think its the end of civilisation as we know it, and I'd sooner avoid that particular confused firefight...

...meantime, check your pms, clippa...

For the sake of no one feeling bad about shareing mp3 files there is a thread I found years ago with HBaEB and others here http://www.zona-musical.com/postt69344.html

Now it is up to the people who dont have rather than a guilt trip indecision for the owner. I'd like to add I do not condone this thread, although before I owned the origionals I have used it.
There's thousands of people just like me all over

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 17:33

Ooh, I don't know, I don't want to be a high horse riding killjoy but it might be better to keep it to PMs. I mean, people looking for hooky cardiacs albums would probably find this place at the top of google, we don't want to make it too easy for them :D

cadacris
Bronze Cardiac

Postby cadacris » Thu Feb 12, 2009 20:23

cadacris wrote:
I also get the feeling that "bodysbad" is a composition for a 7 piece orchestra

Haha, yes, have you heard Tim's solo acoustic guitar version?

:lol: too bad that ain't on youtube

prowler
Diamond Cardiac

Postby prowler » Thu Feb 12, 2009 21:34

chippy, that's not the 1991 version on that site, is it?

Mog
Silver Cardiac

Postby Mog » Thu Feb 12, 2009 22:53

Having had a listen and doing some comparisons between the Rough Trade and the ABC releases (Thank you again!), I don't think I'll be listening to my own copy so much anymore. I synced up a couple of songs next to each other and switched between the two and the 91 release was much more pleasant on my ears. I was surprised how noticeable the difference was on Day is Gone.

chippy
Cardiacs Expert

Postby chippy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 01:18

prowler wrote:chippy, that's not the 1991 version on that site, is it?

To be honest Im not too sure mate, I just remembered about it reading abnego's post.

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 13:41

chippy wrote:
prowler wrote:chippy, that's not the 1991 version on that site, is it?

To be honest Im not too sure mate, I just remembered about it reading abnego's post.

Well, judge for yourselves:

Top one is the "remastered" mix, bottom is the version downloaded from that rapidshare link.
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

chippy
Cardiacs Expert

Postby chippy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 15:08

Well its obviously not, the DL version is way too compressed and limited with hardly and dynamic range. As for the origional theres lots of dynamics, obviously straight from the final mix to the master house with a quality engineer EQing, compressing and limiting but keeping the dynamics free flowing upto to 0db.

so to summarize, origional quality mastering, download crap mastering by someone who doesnt know what they are doing.

baqwerty
Bronze Cardiac

Re: Heaven Born and Ever Bright

Postby baqwerty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 08:40

Thanks to this thread, my three cardiacs friends are now arguing about their copies of HBandEB. I had a look in the museum for a summary of the two releases but couldn't find it. Is there a potted history of this anywhere?

I'm the smug one BTW as i've got the rough trade release and didn't even know it!

B.

shiroihage
Silver Cardiac

Postby shiroihage » Sun Jun 07, 2009 14:05

HBAEB is the only Cardiacs album I'm not into. I didn't even bring it to japn with me. I have the 1991 version with the rather serious picture on the front. I think Tim was just trying to change the bands sound and image a bit from the 80s lineup- fair enough of course but I remember being really disappointed when it came out as I had adored everything they'd released until then (incl. the Day Is Gone single).
Wish I had it with me now so I could give it another listen though. Pains me to think that it is gathering moths in a musty attic in Surrey.

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 14:23

Its probably my least favourite album,its still fvcking amazing though!

Cardiacs ennit!

frostbyte
"oh engineer....."

Postby frostbyte » Sun Jun 07, 2009 23:52

Well, i LOVE it!
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Postby funex » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:25

It's periodically my favourite one of theirs. It's by far the silliest, by a country mile.
Soggy fish. Soggy.

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Postby funex » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:42

The end of Goodbye Grace followed by the start of Anything I Can't Eat is as exciting as any moment on any album ever.
Soggy fish. Soggy.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 00:22

Ok need some one to clear this up and give a definative answer!

My copy of "heaven" is the one of them all standing up ! It says its rough trade on the back. But no where on the disk or box can I find a date. Now im sure its the original version as I got it with Days is gone CD which has 1991 on it ? The disk itself has no rough trading markings on it.

Im sure i bought this in 91/92 so its def not re-issue. IS everyones else the same? Or did my bastard of a brother switch the disks lol.