Heaven Born and Ever Bright

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

psparky27

Re: Heaven Born and Ever Bright

Postby psparky27 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 16:18

Ok so I may get crucified (no pun intended for telling you this but I went to my nephews Holy Communion Sunday before last (my brother married a Catholic..not my family) and when they started to do the lords pray I started to sing heaven born and ever bright ! Oh thats so naughty but made me smile so much. :twisted:

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Postby funex » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:55

funex wrote:The end of Goodbye Grace followed by the start of Anything I Can't Eat is as exciting as any moment on any album ever.

This is still true. Goodness me what a lovely load of old noise.

Currently my favourite LP of theirs again. It's the jolliest of them all. It's not as introspective and tinged with darkness as all the others, to my ears. It sounds like people screaming happiness toward the skies, using guitars and funny little keyboards. It's all fidgety and excitable and hysterical, and I love it.
Soggy fish. Soggy.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Tue Dec 29, 2009 15:29

funex wrote:
funex wrote:The end of Goodbye Grace followed by the start of Anything I Can't Eat is as exciting as any moment on any album ever.

This is still true. Goodness me what a lovely load of old noise.

Currently my favourite LP of theirs again. It's the jolliest of them all. It's not as introspective and tinged with darkness as all the others, to my ears. It sounds like people screaming happiness toward the skies, using guitars and funny little keyboards. It's all fidgety and excitable and hysterical, and I love it.

This is my favorite Cardiacs at the moment, I'm lost in it - like Sing to God there's shitloads of stuff in there! The lyrics are mind-boggling, from the land between waking and dreaming.
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 09:34

Bumping this & adding my voice to its supporters, because I'm relistening to it again after an absence. I've listened to it every day in the car now for the last week, short trips, so I only get 2 or 3 songs at a time. And it is still, as it has been since its release, my favourite C album.
Before that my fav C album was Songs For Ships & Irons.

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 18:55

anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Fri Apr 30, 2010 20:51

Sterbus wrote:http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/track/anything-i-cant-eat-cardiacs-cover-again-yes-i-love-that-band

:roll:

Mr. Sterbus did it again !

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Fri Apr 30, 2010 20:58

Oh I didn't notice that, started a thread about it over at The Seaside, too.
Do you know what I mean to say

I meant to say to you today

A day goes by I try thats why

I try to speak to you today

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Fri Apr 30, 2010 22:03

Top notch ending. :D

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Sat May 01, 2010 00:08

Alternate BC wrote:
Sterbus wrote:http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/track/anything-i-cant-eat-cardiacs-cover-again-yes-i-love-that-band

:roll:

Mr. Sterbus did it again !

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :shock:

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Postby funex » Mon Jun 07, 2010 14:48

Sterbus that's brilliant. I wasn't sure at first, I'll be honest. But it's brilliant.
Soggy fish. Soggy.

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 18:30

funex wrote:Sterbus that's brilliant. I wasn't sure at first, I'll be honest. But it's brilliant.

Oh, thanks :D

...but I'm still not so sure even...

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Postby funex » Tue Jun 08, 2010 09:48

The harmonica bit is one of the most demented things I have ever heard. I love it.
Soggy fish. Soggy.

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 18:04

funex wrote:The harmonica bit is one of the most demented things I have ever heard. I love it.

Haha :D I only tried to recreate the cut-and-paste solo of Fiery Gun Hand !

Skydrag
New fish

Postby Skydrag » Mon May 02, 2011 19:15

Hello fellow Cardiacs addicts

Having dipped into this forum quite a few times over the years for valuable information and to experience the warmth of Cardiacs community (and, sadly, to share some tears), I thought it was finally time I actually joined the plankton pond – which is where a mare's nest is located, I'm sure. Ever since I walked into a HMV store on Oxford Street in 1985 as a young student on one of my first trips to England and was struck by 'R.E.S' playing on the in-store sound system, Cardiacs' music has been one of my main musical life companions – I left the store with the Seaside EP safely tucked under my arm, never to let go of Cardiacs again. I simply believe that Tim Smith is one of the best songwriters ever – songs so distinct in all their variation and strangely inviting complexity and, of course, addictively tuneful! I've always felt totally at home in his/their musical universe and never found any other popular music that has affected and engaged me in so many ways and on so many levels. It is just right! Over here in Denmark the chances of running into a fellow Cardiacs lover are a bit slim although I'm doing my best to spread the good word.

Funny thing about Heaven Born and Ever Bright, which I've always regarded as a kind of an epilogue to the classic Cardiacs years more than a precursor of Sing to God: it's the only Cardiacs album I've ever run across outside Britain, in a German provincial town near the Danish border back in the early 1990s. Actually, it seems that all the 'first generation' Heaven Born and Ever Bright albums distributed by Rough Trade (so scarce in Britain) ended up in Germany(!), and finding this album on sale from there is almost a guarantee that it will be the original 1991 issue and not the (less than perfectly) re-mastered 1995 re-issue – I know because I've come across quite a few of these over the years! So here's a tip that might be worth your effort if you're still looking for that first issue on CD. If you misspell Cardiacs as Cardiacos (an actual Spanish(?) band) on amazon.co.uk, lo and behold: A couple of Heaven Born and Ever Bright CDs come up, both shipping from Germany! Ok, they are still quite pricey, but if you ask the sellers, I'll bet they are the 1991 version. The bar code on the top right corner of the back cover should say 5 02278 12201 4, and the print on the CD itself is sort of white/light blue/grey, NOT orange.

The same is true, by the way, when it comes to the Torso releases of A little man... and On Land and in the Sea. If these albums are sold used from Germany, they are more than likely the Dutch Torso versions. Again, ask the sellers to confirm. In my experience contacting foreign sellers in English has always resulted in pleasant replies. I guess a British 'please' can still make foreigners weak at their knees!

And speaking of international distribution, you may have more luck looking for the Sing to God album on an Italian site (amazon.it or ebay.it) than on a British site – I recently bought the album (as two single CDs) for £ 35 on ebay.it in absolutely mint condition. (Perhaps Sterbus knows why and how this album hit Italy.) Don't worry about language issues as navigating on these international sites is no big deal, all using the same set up. And if you're already registered on the British site, the same login works automatically on the foreign sites as well. (Not sounding too patronizing, I hope – it seems to get worse as one grows older!)

Hopefully, this can be a bit helpful to those of you still looking for that elusive Cardiacs CD or LP.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Mon May 02, 2011 23:01

Best debut post ever? :)

Welcome sir.