Shedding A Tear

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Baby Coelacanth
Gold Cardiac

Shedding A Tear

Postby Baby Coelacanth » Tue Oct 10, 2006 00:04

Has Cardiacs' music ever caused you to cry? Which tracks turn on the waterworks for you?

Not that I've ever cried at a mere piece of music of course! The very thought. Being British my upper lip remains rigid at all times. However... certain Cardiacs tracks will...let's just say they exacerbate my hayfever...

Jitterbug (Junior is a)
- the swirling end bit is full of very sweet and melancholy images about childhood; there is something quite overpoweringly sad about the atmosphere it creates and Tim's voice gets me every time. And that final line: "I love you." A line so simple and straightforward. It's a million miles away from 'normal' Cardiacs lyrics and it hits you like a punch in the face.
Faster Than Snakes With A Ball & A Chain - There's a passage in there (just after the ascending guitar solo, muso-talk fans) that makes me unexpectedly weep like an idiot if I'm not careful. "What would you have me do?"
Foundling - "I could walk with angels but I'd rather walk with you. You are only a foundling." Says it all really. Excuse me a moment *sniff*... I think I need to take an antihistamine...

dirty boy
Diamond Cardiac

Postby dirty boy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 00:09

whole world window once made me blub like a big baby but this was also due to the circumstances i was under at the time, i also once cried wen i listened to stoneage dinosaurs but thats coz i was very drunk at the tme.
Son of Dogstand

dog like marky
All Spectacular

Postby dog like marky » Tue Oct 10, 2006 00:33

whole world windows music without the words could be put at the end of a really sad movie and push me over the edge emotionally....
but with the words it would have to be a really sad movie about being caught with a leaky sex doll
Yes i didnt spot it either someone pointed that one out to me (just listen past the music to the words)but musicwise its really charged with emotion guess its a timmy joke on us all
Yet more mis-spelled long winded waffle without Grammar

Bispy
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Bispy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 00:48

Freedom And Love by WDD gets me every single time. It could be the greatest ode to love ever written.
The more NOW you are, the more THEN you'll be.

Mr Dogstand
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Mr Dogstand » Tue Oct 10, 2006 07:18

Bispy wrote:Freedom And Love by WDD gets me every single time. It could be the greatest ode to love ever written.

I couldn't agree more Bispy! I just wish the song were longer though.
Mr Dogstand.

"Shouting at Young Children Since 1989"

Carli Dogstand
All Spectacular

Postby Carli Dogstand » Tue Oct 10, 2006 07:35

Whole world window has always seemed like a funeral song to me. My favourite auntie died last year just before the Astoria gig, and when they played it, tears were streaming down my face. Tim looked down and I said 'That made me cry' He then 'went off on one' saying that was the nicest thing anyone had ever said! (at that moment in time...)

she is blessed with the mane of a horse and wings of a bee

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 23:24

Foundling - "I could walk with angels but I'd rather walk with you.

The sentiment here always makes me think of my dad who died when I was 11. I know it's not what the song is about but I just always connect with that line and the stiff upper lip quivers a little...

The soaring beauty of All His Geese Are Swans will have me dancing around a room like a fool or blubbing like a fool depending how much red wine has been consumed. For some reason, I can imagine a Fantasia-esque animation with it...

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Wed Oct 11, 2006 00:45

Definately "The Whole World Window" is one of those songs that hits you in the throat on so many levels...

...the loss of childhood, the loss of first love, the loss of innocence to the world...

...that song's a bloody killer.

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Wed Oct 11, 2006 07:29

F&%K! My post is gone! Well I had the same as Allycraig, although the end bit of Balloon for Berties party (Live) always makes me want to cry a bit (while I never actually did)

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:32

Mark Boyle wrote:Definately "The Whole World Window" is one of those songs that hits you in the throat on so many levels...

...the loss of childhood, the loss of first love, the loss of innocence to the world...

...that song's a bloody killer.

Sniff... :oops:

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:36

i know its not a cardiacs track,but freedom and love by william d drake makes me choke up-even though its a short song.

Mr Dogstand
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Mr Dogstand » Wed Oct 11, 2006 15:30

Freedom and Love

How delicious is the winning
Of a kiss at love's beginning,
When two mutual hearts are sighing
For the knot there's no untying!

Yet remember, 'midst your wooing
Love has bliss, but Love has ruing;
Other smiles may make you fickle,
Tears for other charms may trickle.

Love he comes and Love he tarries
Just as fate or fancy carries;
Longest stays, when sorest chidden;
Laughs and flies, when press'd and bidden.

Bind the sea to slumber stilly,
Bind its odour to the lily,
Bind the aspen ne'er to quiver,
Then bind Love to last for ever.

Love's a fire that needs renewal
Of fresh beauty for its fuel;
Love's wing moults when caged and captured,
Only free, he soars enraptured.

Can you keep the bees from ranging,
Or the ringdove's neck from changing?
No! nor fetter'd Love from dying
In the knot there's no untying.

Thomas Campbell (1777-1844)
Mr Dogstand.

"Shouting at Young Children Since 1989"

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Wed Oct 11, 2006 17:34

I just remembered, I cried until I shat watching the polyphonic spree at some festival. Does that count, because it's not just the music is it?

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 18:30

garland wrote:I just remembered, I cried until I shat watching the polyphonic spree at some festival. Does that count, because it's not just the music is it?

Yes, that counts too :lol:

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Wed Oct 11, 2006 20:15

I would have to vote for the whole world window bieng the most gut wrenchingly powerful bunch of noises that there is,it should be avoided at all costs when you are feeling less than invincible!
It is definately one for the funeral,i think i am gonna have my poor family sit through it for mine,whilst on the way in i think and i am gonna go out to Dirty Boy in its entirety,yep,thats a date.Awesome!
I kinda want to get some Neil Young in there too,bit of Cortez the killer and maybe a man needs a maid,jeeesus my lot will be blubbing like babies!

Bit morbid all this aint it,i better go out and drink beer!