Songs for Ships & Irons

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Songs for Ships & Irons

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Sat Nov 23, 2013 22:45

I am over the frigging moon, I am right now listening to Ships & Irons on CD for the very first time, it was always my fav album on vinyl, but now hearing it in crystal clear digital it is even more impressive and now even moreso my fav.

However, it is the original version which I started bidding on ironically about 2 days before shop had it available, I had no idea they were going to stock it, and I really wanted to get hold of it so when I saw it on ebay being offered by a fan in Germany I immediately put in a bid.

But I was gutted because I would have preferred my money to have gone to the band, I had the highest bid of 10 euros and no one bid over me, had they done so I would have let it go & bought it from the band. I really thought someone would bid over my 10 euros. Maybe the 5 euros post put them off.

Anyway, on to differentiating features - Can someone with a new copy have a look at theirs please and tell me if the the ABC address is included inside the book? Also what is the date on the CD? I'm just wondering if they've changed these details from the original version.
It says 1991 on my CD.

I've just had a look on the website & I can see that the address isn't on the CD case back as it is on the original version.
But there is a web address on the back of the new version, and of course there isn't one on the original.

psparky27

Re: Songs for Ships & Irons

Postby psparky27 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 18:35

Looks like the found some originals . My cd which was bought in 1991 has 1991 on the disks ..does yours?

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Sun Nov 24, 2013 20:43

Yea, like I said, it has 1991 written on the disc, which must have been a quick follow on release straight after the vinyl in 90. But didn't they release it again in 95 or something like that?

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:36

Yes, it was part of the '95 repress, but I think the same mastering was used, although I'm not 100% on that. I've got the original, too.
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 17:14

Well as far as I am aware the 95 releases had 95 on the sleeves and discs so not sure what you have there exactly?

Checked my original 91 copy that was bought in HMV before a gig (yes HMV in london did used to have cardiacs CD's) It doesn't have any website on the sleeve? Maybe they found some 91 discs with no sleeves? Maybe leave a message for Mary on the facebook page?