Eat it up worms hero

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

eadric
All Spectacular

Eat it up worms hero

Postby eadric » Thu Oct 24, 2013 16:52

In the 'things you've always wanted to know but were too afraid to ask' category:

What the heck is going on in 'Eat it up the worms hero' - specifically from about a minute in?

(this may be too vague a question and I should sit down and figure it all out, but there are people here with both better ears and music theory than I)

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Thu Oct 24, 2013 17:39

Mr Smith certainly got a bit carried away with the cut-and-shut knob twiddling on them albums, for sure. This track and Angleworm Angel in particular.

i love sarah
Bronze Cardiac

Re: Eat it up worms hero

Postby i love sarah » Sat Oct 26, 2013 18:14

What do you mean with cut and shut?

The melody is played with dissonant intervals (mostly minor 2nds) over a 4/4 punk beat, but the meloldy itself is very irregularly placed, carrying away from the 4/4 beat. So the result is a rhythmic minefield. And to confuse the listener even more: The phrase ends not in a 4/4; it has a beat more, so this slpas you off

I love this track to death...

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Sat Oct 26, 2013 20:56

Thanks for the info, I love the effect here. At first listen (it's one of the first Cardiacs tracks I heard) it sounded like he plays a riff massively out of tune, and then 'pulls' it back into normalcy ; but the more I listen, the more bloody complicated it looks.

It's an incredibly confident bit of songwriting.

North Sea Radio SOS
Silver Cardiac

Postby North Sea Radio SOS » Thu Nov 14, 2013 00:25

eadric wrote:Thanks for the info, I love the effect here. At first listen (it's one of the first Cardiacs tracks I heard) it sounded like he plays a riff massively out of tune, and then 'pulls' it back into normalcy ; but the more I listen, the more bloody complicated it looks.

It's an incredibly confident bit of songwriting.

One of my all time favourite tracks too :) What amazes me even more is that the band Ocenasize manage to pull off a perfect cover live ( it's on youtube somewhere ) !!!

I mean,.... where does one even BEGIN to work that particular song out ?!?!
Batman : "What's yellow...and Points !?...."
Robin : " Got it! A BALLPOINT BANANA! "
Batman : " YES!.. ExACTly that Robin ! "

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Thu Nov 14, 2013 18:51

i love sarah wrote:What do you mean with cut and shut?

Oh, well, let's just say it's very much a studio album isn't it. Apparently the drums are all made out of Leith Lego.

Thanks for mentioning the Oceansize version, what a good fist they made of it. I was there but I don't remember. :oops:

Sterbus
mad completist

Postby Sterbus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 02:41

I always thought the starting riff was some kind of quote to the start of Watcher of the skys by Genesis, when the drums come in....
anything anyplace anywhere for no reason at all
All my music here... http://sterbus.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Albums”