New CD/DVD Project... Could it happen?

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Myndforest
Bronze Cardiac

New CD/DVD Project... Could it happen?

Postby Myndforest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 21:43

Is it not possible collectively with the permissions and access of the relevant parties to put together a CD or series of CD's (perhaps issued with the help of The Organ) - starting with an 'EP's & Tapes' collection featuring remastered 'Cardiacs Arrest - 4 Track EP', 'The Obvious Identity', & 'Toy World' on one CD or a Double CD...
There must be someone on the site (or someone who knows someone) with some spare cash knocking about that really loves Cardiacs (hmmm... BSI???) - Someone with skills in remastering from Original Mastertapes (If available/If they still exist) or even getting the best from available cassettes) and I would be happy to put some cover artwork together for free, based on relevant source material and create between us a new Archive CD or rarities that have never been issued on CD before... This could be sold through e-bay/Amazon or through this site or The Organ or i-tunes or The now defunct(ish) Cardiacs website... and proceeds could go to benefit Tim.

A series of bootleg concerts could follow... Live DVD recordings (I remember a cinematographical effort that all the fans were 'Extras' in at the Astoria that has never seen the light of day)...

Perhaps these things are all hidden away and only Tim has/had access to them (I don't know the band closely or their band politics) but if only these items could be set free and released there are plenty of people that would happily buy it all and providing the costs are covered I'm sure there is money that could go to Tim from the sale of this unreleased stuff...

Even just reissues of the back catalogue that now seem to fetch ridiculous prices would be good. I'm lucky enough to have (1 copy of) most of it 'cos I started young and I realise that those that have just spent £50 on Tim's ExtraSpecialOceanLandWorld for example might not be too pleased if it becomes available for £10 as a reissue... but hey getting ahead of myself... Whaddaya fink though? COULD WE MAKE IT HAPPEN???
Leaving early - just before the hour - a few minutes won't make any difference, not to me anyway... the early bird catches the worm.
I don't really want to go in tomorrow - the man will tell me off for leaving early yesterday...

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Re: New CD/DVD Project... Could it happen?

Postby seventies » Mon Mar 18, 2013 23:19

Sounds like an eccentric millionaire is what you're after.

BigShipIron from eBay is probably the guy to do this, in all honesty.

Other option - Pledgemusic.com or kickstarter.com. With these two methods you get some validation upfront, that there is actually sufficient demand for the items.

I would pay good money for anything that I don't already own on CD, so:

- Day is gone CDS
- early stuff not compiled on Seaside or Archive, particularly that which was not on the Garage discs
- Goosegash, Susannah and Faster than Snakes... which I think are the only three other original Cardiacs tracks released on CD that I don't own. (correct me if I'm wrong... I have all the full length CD albums plus Manhoo, Odd Even, Ditzy Scene and Signs)

But that's just me. There are some fanatics who might repurchase everything if you give them a good reason to... and of course, the droves of people paying fortunes on eBay will love the idea of paying 20 pounds instead (10 for an EP).

honestly, through pledgemusic this could actually get going. And, Ginger, Jon Poole and Chris Catalyst would campaign tirelessly through social media, pro bono, due to their immense love for Tim and his music.

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43

Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Tue Mar 19, 2013 14:53

I think it's fair to say that anything that can 'easily' be released, has been, and the rest seems to be stuck in legal quicksand. The costs of revamping things wouldn't cover the sales you'd get - we're still talking a fringe release from a fringe band. There are a few hardcore fans (no offence, people) who'll pay crazy ebay money to have a CD burn of something, but we're talking a handful.

I'd sort of like to see as much as possible live on in a digital form, whether that's the Pond, torrents, or whatever. Realistically, it's the only sensible way to get hold of a lot of the weirder stuff. It's not like it's depriving anyone involved with the band of money at this point. *shrug*

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 16:08

I have daydreams about stumbling across a pot of gold, buying the Alphabet Business Concern and its (presumably) debts, hiring a top bod at KPMG to unravel it all, then re-releasing EVERYTHING on ALL formats with new sleeve notes plus DVDs, box sets, glossy photo books and a DIRTY GREAT CHERRY on top, with profits going back to Tim.

However, even if said pot of gold did come into my (or anyone’s) possession it's a huge presumption that Tim would want some drunk fanboy* to run away with his baby. I think all anyone can do is sit tight, safe in the knowledge that everyone one directly involved with Tim and the band is fully aware that the back catalogue is no good to anyone if they can’t exploit it. It’s such a sad, sad state of affairs on so many levels but we should just look at it as another chapter in their ridiculous story.

*I mean me, not you Myndforest!

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Postby seventies » Tue Mar 19, 2013 16:39

bah. reality.

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 17:23

I want a Little Man... LP picture disc, please. The little man and house logo would look great! Also, The Seaside on yellow and blue splattered vinyl.

I may start a trend here...
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

Myndforest
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Myndforest » Tue Mar 19, 2013 22:02

Oh! Well... Never mind... It's was a thought I guess... best just forget about it.
Leaving early - just before the hour - a few minutes won't make any difference, not to me anyway... the early bird catches the worm.
I don't really want to go in tomorrow - the man will tell me off for leaving early yesterday...

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Postby seventies » Wed Mar 20, 2013 00:29

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:19

Ha, I feel like a right misery now! But did you see Kavus' comments in the Shiroihage's thread? He seems to sum things up pretty neatly - it's not cheerful reading but it's good to get an honest insight into what's going on.

ryan
Diamond Cardiac

Postby ryan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 19:53

the thing is, i think partly, nothing is getting released without Tims say so and approval. and he's not in a position to work on stuff. i suspect that's why the astoria show was never done. it took him ages to do those Garage show CDs.

Fugazi
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Fugazi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 13:58

Myndforest
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Myndforest » Fri Mar 22, 2013 19:31

Soooo frustrating to think that Cardiacs legacy is possibly rotting in a damp shed somewhere though when it could be exploited to make money for those that need it - Tim especially... The fact that the few existing items that appear for sale are going for higher and higher prices is fine if you can afford it, but this redistribution of existing items is mainly aimed at the hardcore fans - not newbies and isn't making any new money for the band.
New product sold by bands/artists directly to fans via websites increases the profits made by bands considerably (Why do you think Radiohead offered a Pay What You Want deal on 'In Rainbows'? With their huge fanbase if everyone paid just 1p they still probably made more than by the time EMI and Retailers got their percentages out of it) and these days it is not difficult to get 500 or 1000 CD's pressed up with covers from a duplicating company. - The more you get pressed up the less they cost individually, so a CD in an edition of 1000 that retails at £10-12 probably only costs about £1 each to make and costs about £2-3 to buy from the manufacturer making around £7-8 clear profit each... that's around £7000-£8000 profit on a run of 1000 and could easily be funded on pre-orders...

Anyway if it ain't gonna happen there's no point stressing over it... maybe EVERYTHING ISN'T SO EASY after all...

Myndforest
Bronze Cardiac

Postby Myndforest » Fri Mar 22, 2013 19:35

And another thing... Downloads can make money and don't cost ANYTHING to produce... Once they are hosted somewhere - you pay your money, download the file - burn to your own disc and print out your own cover at no cost to the artist... I prefer an actual REAL item though personally in Wav format... then make the mp3 Mpeg4 for I-pod etc from it....