Favourite Tracks

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Favourite Tracks

Postby seventies » Thu Mar 07, 2013 21:13

Early in my tenure on this board, when I was just a new fish, I asked out of curiosity which tracks tended to be the most popular with fans. I named a few that were sticking out to me at the time. Others provided short lists as well. I think the thread got lost in the board crash last year. Anyway, nearly a year later I think I've funny fully absorbed Cardiacs' entire back catalog and although each album is awesome and should not be broken up and bastardized... IF I were to do such a thing and make an 80-minute compilation CD, this is what it would look like:

Jibber and Twitch
Tarred and Feathered
There's Too Many Irons In the Fire
Loosefish Scapegrace
The Duck and Roger the Horse
Bodysbad
Dog-Like Sparky
Nurses Whispering Verses
To Go Off and Things
The Everso Closely Guarded Line
Manhoo
Dirty Boy
R.E.S.
The Whole World Window

78:36 total.

Honorable mentions to Goodbye Grace, In a City Lining, Buds and Spawn, Big Ship, A Little Man and a House, Fiery Gun Hand, Insect Hoofs On Lassie, Is This the Life and Snakes a Sleeping.

The best song? To Go Off the Things. the best part of any song? the middle section of Loosefish Scapegrace.

Comments welcomed, particularly to tell me how crazy I am for not including this song or that.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Thu Mar 07, 2013 22:47

seventies wrote:Comments welcomed, particularly to tell me how crazy I am for not including this song or that.

I like the "particularly". :)

Ok, today:

All of 'Guns', in order.
All of the last EP, in reverse order.
Spinney.

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Favourite Tracks

Postby drterror666 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:51

This task is pretty much impossible for me because it can change. I'll have a route around in my brain to see if I can pull out a list! :rolleyes:
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Fri Mar 08, 2013 13:27

I like most of seventies' list ; I'd probably lose Too Many Irons/Loosefish, and I don't get why anyone cares for Is This the Life and Snakes a Sleeping, but apart from that I think that's entirely sensible.

I don't want to ruin the topic, but re dogs mention of the last EP - i thought it was pretty weak. I don't hate it, but I can't say anything on there would make my Cardiacs top 20 (or even 50). Funny how we all get different things from the band :)

ryan
Diamond Cardiac

Re:

Postby ryan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 15:56

dogsetc. wrote:All of 'Guns', in order.

Funny, opening this thread I was thinking "bet no-one says anything off Guns", seems to be pretty overlooked. Top work!

Big love for Signs at the moment. Nurses Whispering Verses is a permanent favourite, as is Ideal. There's loads... there tend to be a handful I'm particularly into at any one time.

Archive is getting a lot of love in our house at the moment as well.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Mar 08, 2013 18:12

ryan wrote:Funny, opening this thread I was thinking "bet no-one says anything off Guns", seems to be pretty overlooked.

I was just being particularly contrary, given the absence... but i do like it best as an entirety, and i know that's absurd given the perfect overallness of Sing to God. Of course, that's not what the thread was started for, rather a picking from here and there to make something else.

I also think i'm just very fond of the tucked away bits, like Spinney, for their oddness.

Speaking directly to seventies' list: i'd swap English Sea for Irons, and Buds for Nurses. :)

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Re:

Postby seventies » Fri Mar 08, 2013 19:30

dogsetc. wrote:
seventies wrote:Comments welcomed, particularly to tell me how crazy I am for not including this song or that.

I like the "particularly". :)

Ok, today:

All of 'Guns', in order.
All of the last EP, in reverse order.
Spinney.

I sure don't agree, but I like that your opinion is so different from mine! What a band.

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Re:

Postby seventies » Fri Mar 08, 2013 19:33

dogsetc. wrote:
ryan wrote:Funny, opening this thread I was thinking "bet no-one says anything off Guns", seems to be pretty overlooked.

I was just being particularly contrary, given the absence... but i do like it best as an entirety, and i know that's absurd given the perfect overallness of Sing to God. Of course, that's not what the thread was started for, rather a picking from here and there to make something else.

I also think i'm just very fond of the tucked away bits, like Spinney, for their oddness.

Speaking directly to seventies' list: i'd swap English Sea for Irons, and Buds for Nurses. :)

Yeah, English Sea could have been an honorable mention, and Buds was a last minute drop, when I realized I had forgotten R.E.S.

I feel like a few songs could almost be called "trademark" or "flagship" Cardiacs songs, when someone asks you what they're all about and you want to really highlight what they were capable of. Those songs would be T&F, The Duck, TGOAT, and R.E.S.

Mind you, this is me coming in as a complete outsider who has spent nearly a year absorbing their entire output and still doesn't know half the lyrics.

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Postby seventies » Fri Mar 08, 2013 19:35

eadric wrote:I like most of seventies' list ; I'd probably lose Too Many Irons/Loosefish, and I don't get why anyone cares for Is This the Life and Snakes a Sleeping, but apart from that I think that's entirely sensible.

I don't want to ruin the topic, but re dogs mention of the last EP - i thought it was pretty weak. I don't hate it, but I can't say anything on there would make my Cardiacs top 20 (or even 50). Funny how we all get different things from the band :)

I thought it was weak too. Or at least, it certainly doesn't grip me like so much of the other stuff.

I could live without Too Many Irons if I had to. (I used to find it a bit annoying, but it grew its way into my top-15... which is interesting because you tend to find the more accessible, single-oriented songs of a band first, then they fall down your list as you uncover the gems on the albums)

Loosefish I could never live without.

ryan
Diamond Cardiac

Re:

Postby ryan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 21:40

dogsetc. wrote:

I think it's incredible.
After the sprawl of STG it's almost intimate sounding. It's my favourite some days for sure...!

Return to “Albums”