How to own everything? (ethically, quickly, cheaply)

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

How to own everything? (ethically, quickly, cheaply)

Postby seventies » Sat May 05, 2012 22:43

Please see here for my intro as I'm new here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3425

This is a topic that will ultimately span multiple sections of this board, but I think this is the most appropriate place for it.

Basically, I'm obsessed. I want everything Cardiacs have done, plus side projects too. I prefer not to download from itunes, because I've never been a fan of just "paying for files" - I like having tangible CDs that I can take with me and listen to in the car, etc (yeah, I know I can do that with burned CDs too, let's just say I prefer the real thing, call me weird or a control freak if you like, i won't be offended)

I'm not an "obsessive collector" though. I collect with a purpose. I don't buy vinyl because I can't play it and it's not convenient (yes, I know it's cooler and aurally superior). I don't buy singles that contain nothing exclusive. But show me a release with even one exclusive track, and I want it.

In this case, with Cardiacs having such a diverse catalog (multi format, multi label, multiple singles, multiple versions of tracks on multiple releases) I am willing to make exceptions to my personal rules, and I won't lie and say it's not painful.

Please help me out. Practically every release has a question associated with it. This can be a great release for future noobs. I'm not going to be the last person to get Cardiacs under their skin.

Having done a bunch of my own research, here is what I've determined:

Absolutely Essential Cardiacs Studio Material:

- Archive Cardiacs (it is the only way to get most of the early cassette songs on CD)
- Songs for Ships and Irons (mid-career compilation)
- ALMAAHATWWW (looks like I have to get the Torso version if I want Goosegash and IEIB on CD?)
- On Land and In the Sea (again, looks like I need the Torso version)
- The Seaside (looks like I'd have to download the 4 tracks that went missing between the cassette & CD releases?)
- Heaven Born and Ever Bright
- Sing To God
- Guns

Practically Essential:

- Rude Bootleg
- Cardiacs Live
- All that Glitters is a Mares Nest
- The Special Garage Concerts Vol I
- The Special Garage Concerts Vol II

With all ABC releases, my biggest concern is that some CDs that say "currently out of stock" might actually be out of stock when the store finally gets up and running again, and they won't press any more. I would like to think that all 20 releases on the Merchandise page over at ABC are all discs that I will be able to buy when the store reopens. But is that the case?

Key Members Side Projects:

- Sea Nymphs (this is listed in the store, will it actually be available when the store reopens? the fact that it's not on itunes scares me)
- Sea Nymphs appealing to Venus single (don't know how easy this is to get. if it's hard or impossible, would someone like to send me the one B-side?)
- OceanLandWorld (again, will this one be available for purchase? at least it's on itunes)
- Spratley's Japs Pony album (if the AME site still actually has them, who knows the answer to this?)
- Spratley's Japs Hazel single (see above)
- Mr and Mrs. Smith and Mr. Drake (see above)
- William D Drake S/T album (see above - and I saw this go for over $200 on ebay so if I can't get this from AME I'm probably SOL)
- William D Drake Briny Hooves (still haven't determined quite how rare this is but I have heard it and like it. I want to own if possible)
- William D Drake Yew's Paw (again, not sure how rare it is but at least it's on itunes, I have sampled and quite like it)
- William D Drake Rising Of the Lights (I think I will be able to get this one cheaply on ebay this week)

Singles:

- Signs (sure, I'd get this one at the ABC if they actually have it, but not at ebay prices. If this isn't available, who can share the B-sides with me?)
- Odd Even (see above)
- Manhoo (I just bought this one! woot!)
- Day Is Gone (it has multiple exclusive tracks, correct me if I'm wrong, unfortunately this is prohibitely expensive on eBay and I probably need to rely on you lot for mp3s)
- Ditzy Scene (again, multiple exclusive tracks, and was released just 5 years ago, I would actually pay what this sold for on eBay, then again, if someone just sent me the songs since the disc is no longer available for purchase, I might break my personal rule here...)

Other members' Side Projects:

- Monsoon Bassoon I Dig Your Groove (I love what I've heard, this can apparently sell on ebay for $29 and $147 just a day apart, so I like my odds here, looks like I just have to be patient)
- Redbus Noface (already ordered!)
- Knifeworld album (already ordered!)
- Knifeworld EP (already ordered!)
- Various Artists, The Central Element (already ordered!, looks awesome, all exclusive songs)

Beyond that:

- Leader Of the Starry Skies (I really want Tim to get my money for this CD but I have no choice but to go to eBay as I insist on owning an actual CD version of the bonus disc. I'll have to make sure they get my money in a handful of other ways)
- Cardiacs and Affectionate Friends (I see this as a must-purchase. For one thing, the CD is not THAT rare and overpriced. Also, if I own all of the above, it still gets me exclusive tracks by mikrokosmos, mark cawthra, jon poole, catherine in a cupboard and lake of puppies)

Other:

- Greatest Hits (looks like I can live without this one considering the ebay prices, and I suspect it's not actually available from ABC since they didn't put it on itunes. I have already downloaded the exclusive track. Can anyone confirm there are no "alternate versions" or anything like that, that may entice me to buy this one?)
- Sampler (I think that if I have all the above, this is useless to me, right?)

With any of the above, the ultimate goal is to own the actual CD. Further to that, the ultimate goal is to buy it straight from the band. Costs me less, and they get my money. Plus it's brand new. The only thing is I can't wait forever to make Cardiacs a bigger part of my life, and the store could take 5 more years to reopen, or never reopen. Even though I have a friend whose mum is close with Tim and insists the store will be up soon, I am too compelled to own these discs right away. I'm going to try to win the whole lot on ebay tomorrow.

For anything that is actually not available on CD and/or has become prohibitively expensive, I would be willing to burn myself a nice copy of it (I will definitely BUY whatever I can on itunes and use those tracks to do the burn) and then rely on a board member to send me scans of the covers so that I could print them out on nice glossy paper and at least pretend I own the real thing. Anyone willing to do that for me? (I'm thinking particularly about Sea Nymphs, Mr. and Mrs Smith, Spratley's Japs, WDD's first three albums and possibly even all 5 Cardiacs live albums)

For any singles (which I imagine are all out of print) considering the cost associated with rounding them all up, I would consider just downloading the songs if someone has them to share. I actually just need the tracks from Signs, Day is Gone, and Ditzy Scene.

For old tracks that are only available on cassettes or LPs that I'll never own, I would really appreciate if someone could share all those, just to get me caught up with the rest of you. (I would probably make myself a nice CD-R of those tracks and the b-sides and call it Archive Cardiacs II)

Anything else you think I would want? One thing I thought of is if anyone has all the stuff by Monsoon Bassoon, if they could share the non-album stuff because they had a bunch of EPs and a couple of splits, all of which I'd be missing out on if I just bought the one proper album. The other stuff would take a lifetime to track down and most of it is not on CD.

I know I'm asking a lot here. I'm hoping that the combined wisdom of all the experts can set me on the right path. And hopefully within the next day. Because you could save me from paying ebay prices if you can convince me that these CDs will be available soon from ABC.

psparky27

Re: How to own everything? (ethically, quickly, cheaply)

Postby psparky27 » Sun May 06, 2012 13:28

Wow .Not sure where to start with all that lot. Its is very very tough starting out with your "collection".

E-bay does have a few gems for £10 every now and then from a specific e-bay shop who always sells Archive, greatest hits,seaside at this price.

Most people on here don't have everything and we all have little gaps here and there but downloads are good to get those rare and live tracks.

I would give up on trying to get up on anything Torso or day is gone single unless you wish to sell everything you have.

I watch e-bay quite closely and i think the prices are falling slightly but you can never tell.

Maybe your best option is to concentrate on the era you like and get the CD's for time and see how you get on.

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Postby seventies » Sun May 06, 2012 17:47

I had a feeling that was the case with the Torso versions.

I guess it's ok to ask, then, if someone can share the Torso bonus tracks from ALMAAHATWWW & On Land and In the Sea... and the A-side of Suzannah's Still Alive, and A Bus for a Bus On the Bus.

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Postby seventies » Mon May 07, 2012 05:18

Ugh, I just won a bunch of stuff on eBay. I spent a lot more than I would have liked to, but a lot less than I could have if I had worse timing. It makes me sick to think I spent so much and none of it is going to the band. But apparently not as sick as it would make me to not have these CDs.

I think I've come to terms with the fact that b-sides are just too expensive to track down; the per-exclusive-song price is through the roof.

Updated wantlist, for those who are interested in following my odyssey:

Got'em:

- Sing To God
- Songs for Ships and Irons
- On Land and In the Sea
- Heaven Born and Ever Bright
- Guns
- Rude Bootleg
- Sea Nymphs
- ALMAAHATWWW
- All that Glitters is a Mares Nest
- The Seaside
- William D Drake: S/T
- William D Drake: Rising of the Lights
- William D Drake: Yew's Paw
- William D Drake: Briny Hooves
- Manhoo single
- Ditzy Scene Single
- Redbus Noface
- Knifeworld album
- Knifeworld EP
- North Sea Radio Orchestra: S/T
- North Sea Radio Orchestra: I a Moon
- North Sea Radio Orchestra: Birds
- Spratley's Japs: Pony
- Various Artists: The Central Element
- Leader Of the Starry Skies & A Loyal Companion
- Cardiacs and Affectionate Friends
- Cardiacs Live
- Archive Cardiacs
- Shrubbies: Memphis in Texas
- Stars In Battledress: Secrets and Signals
- Monsoon Bassoon: I Dig Your Voodoo
- Oceanlandworld (sort of)

all in all, a good but expensive weekend!

I must own them on CD someday no matter what it takes:

- LIST COMPLETED!

If the Shop doesn't open soon or they don't show up reasonably affordable on ebay soon I would consider buying on itunes and getting scans of the covers to pretend I have the real thing, rather than waiting any longer: (who would send me scans?? I would even send a screenshot proving I purchased them all so you know you're not participating in thievery)

- The Special Garage Concerts Vol I
- The Special Garage Concerts Vol II

Same as above, except these aren't even on itunes and if they don't pop up affordably on eBay I might have to resort to sharing and hope someone will share the covers as well:

- Spratley's Japs: Hazel
Last edited by seventies on Wed Jul 18, 2012 00:57, edited 16 times in total.

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Mon May 07, 2012 12:04

I'll throw these onto the table:
A Bus for the Bus on the Bus
Susannah's Still Alive
Signs B-sides
Day Is Gone B-sides

Also, sorry to be a boring pedant but the Monsoon Bassoon album is actually called I Dig Your Voodoo :) ...and very good it is too. It's supposed to be getting a re-release but it does come up on eBay more often than you would think.

EDIT: Oh and congratulations on your purchases!

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Mon May 07, 2012 12:25

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:58

I agree with all above except maybe the torso recording of "on land" although the are pretty similar the intro to one of the songs sounds like it was done in a toilet and the chimes is also different to any other version.

You must get the garage concerts and Mr and mrs smith and mr Drake as essentials.

Good to see our list growing. What are your views on the very early stuff of Toyworld and the obvious identity? I have these burned onto a cd kindly taken from the pond as the cassette versions are very rare and also likely to break if bought if played constantly!

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Postby seventies » Mon May 07, 2012 15:54

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Re:

Postby seventies » Mon May 07, 2012 16:10

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Postby seventies » Mon May 07, 2012 16:16

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Mon May 07, 2012 16:27

Spyda
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Spyda » Mon May 07, 2012 16:30

And if she only had stopped making that hissing noise . . .

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Postby seventies » Mon May 07, 2012 16:46

brother abnego
"To log off and things"

Postby brother abnego » Mon May 07, 2012 17:38

At the risk of causing further damage to your finances, I'd also recommend the following related bands:

Firstly, The Shrubbies. They were Sarah Smith, Craig Fortnum, Sharron Saddington (now Fortnum) and Dom Luckman, and they released one album, a lovely slice of pastoral pop called "Memphis in Texas". Produced by Tim Smith, who also provides handclaps.

It's available now and then on ebay and amazon, and they have a where you can buy the digital download (any format from mp3 through to lossless)

Craig and Sharron went on to lead the North Sea Radio Orchestra ensemble, who include Bill Drake, Kavus Torabi and Melanie Woods in their lineup. Several albums, all well worth checking out.

Trivia - Sharron does vocals on several tracks on "Guns" here she is sharing lead vocals with Timmy on .

Here's them on , video by that Tim Smith.

Sidi Bou Said and Stars in Battledress also spring to mind as worth a look/listen...

seventies
Diamond Cardiac

Re:

Postby seventies » Mon May 07, 2012 17:59