Sing to God

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Re: Sing to God

Postby funex » Tue Aug 11, 2009 14:36

Dirty Boy remains the official "Cardiacs song it took me longest to get into".

Hated it from the moment I heard it first, whenever that was. Years ago. Only very recently have I listened to it for deliberate pleasure rather than just because it was the first track on STG2 and I needed to get past it.

That took some perseverence, I can tell you. I do like it now though, although I've had to leave the room a couple of times at gigs when it's being played due to punished ears and general nausea.

Reason for initially not liking it: It reminded me of Spaceman by Babylon Zoo - which as some of you may recall is literally the worst song ever recorded. It still does a bit if I'm honest.
Soggy fish. Soggy.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue Aug 11, 2009 14:52

:) I thought it sounded a bit Suede-y.

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Postby funex » Tue Aug 11, 2009 14:56

Yep, the intro is pure Suede.
Soggy fish. Soggy.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 16:19

funex wrote:Dirty Boy remains the official "Cardiacs song it took me longest to get into".

Hated it from the moment I heard it first, whenever that was. Years ago. Only very recently have I listened to it for deliberate pleasure rather than just because it was the first track on STG2 and I needed to get past it.

That took some perseverence, I can tell you. I do like it now though, although I've had to leave the room a couple of times at gigs when it's being played due to punished ears and general nausea.

Reason for initially not liking it: It reminded me of Spaceman by Babylon Zoo - which as some of you may recall is literally the worst song ever recorded. It still does a bit if I'm honest.

Im the same really. Tried to like it as everyone loves it so much and when I have seen it live I do enjoy but my mind wanders to what they will play next and the good old stuff. I usually love change but im hopping one more album at least will surface because I have found i tend to like the albumn 2 cd's before when A new one comes out. Their is hope for guns yet :)

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Tue Aug 11, 2009 16:29

In my short conversion period, it took me a few listens to distinguish what it actually was from the turgid mush. Nowadays i feast on every moment when i hear it. It's probably the one song that i feel demands absolute concentration, like something ritualistic.

(We worked out what it's about once didn't we...?)

snowman
Cardiacs Expert

Postby snowman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 17:46

i agree - it's slightly turgid production-wise and moulded around an indie-guitar-band-anthem style, and yet when you concentrate on what's going on it's truly sublime!

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 18:25

Dirty Boy is the music of heaven,written for Gods.

it saddens me to the point of sicky vomit that not everyone in the world agrees with me.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 18:44

Meenie wrote:Dirty Boy is the music of heaven,written for Gods.

it saddens me to the point of sicky vomit that not everyone in the world agrees with me.

Heaven must be a big pit of mess and noise with bits of thingys everywhere and lots of meh !

I suppose it can be hard when you find people who have the same love for Cardiacs but not always in the same way :) For me I just love the fact that well enjoy them in different ways and I dont mind what you like as long as you like them baby !

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Re:

Postby Gubbins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 04:49

dogsetc. wrote:In my short conversion period, it took me a few listens to distinguish what it actually was from the turgid mush. Nowadays i feast on every moment when i hear it. It's probably the one song that i feel demands absolute concentration, like something ritualistic.

(We worked out what it's about once didn't we...?)

Yup, exactly. I usually use Dirty Boy to try and convert people after a joint. "You wanna hear something intense?" :twisted:

Live it's one of the best fvcking things in the whole world. Wasn't it decided it was about a boy being caught wanking and being killed?

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53

Must admit Cardiacs are not what I would usually listen to when im stoned but then again I used to listen to them in bed on my Walkman !!!

Could you not sleep this morning gubbins?

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:18

I thought that for ages, that Cardiacs wouldn't really go with a smoke but by golly, they do, they really, really do. All of the intricacies and textures... I could go on but I hate sounding like a stereotype when it comes to smoking weed. But yeah, give it a go, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm slightly nocturnal at the best of times plus I'm still adjusting my body to reality and all that comes with it after the big chill so yeah...

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Wed Aug 12, 2009 14:55

It was weed and gin (and playing backgammon) which first allowed me to hear the light.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 17:20

Always slightly worrying for some many things needed to make a song sound good ! :lol:

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Wed Aug 12, 2009 23:44

I have listened to Dirty Boy just now, and while it moves along like a seven-legged elephant it also has two heads and three nose trumpets and is a truly MAGNIFICENT BEAST.
In fact I can't think of any Cardiacs tune that I can say I 'don't like', not only because I'm a slavering toadie, but because their tunes are head and shoulders above nearly every abject thing else that gets peddled to us as Pop Music. I don't know why that is. It's full of power and mystery.

Suede? Who is him?
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 23:51

I like all cardiacs songs but some are just more favs than others ! Its a great song live :)

Return to “Albums”