Postby Pet Lamb » Tue Jun 27, 2006 16:57

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Tue Jun 27, 2006 17:01

abade
Silver Cardiac

Re: The Obvious Identity

Postby abade » Sat Dec 29, 2012 15:39

I have on my naughty digital version a track listed as "Unknown", it's listed as track 7, it's 1:18 long and it's a quiet little instrumental on the "A Balloon for Bertie's Party" theme.

It's not on any track listing I know, so I suppose it was an hidden track at the end of face 1?
"we just play beautiful music and violate people" - Kavus

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 16:29

Track 7 should be Leaf Scrapings. Comes after Rock Around The Clock Pt. 2, although I guess that bit's obvious!
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,
What did you just say then?
You could do some tricks! Oh, good, then will you show me?
My word that's a good one!
Would you like a cigarette?
No you can't, they're bad for you!

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:28

Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34

This should sort it out...

I think it must be the intro for A Game for Bertie's Party.
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,

hello_mr_sparrow
New fish

Postby hello_mr_sparrow » Fri Jan 04, 2013 04:04

am i wrong in feeling that the consensus here is that the "Special Garage Concerts" versions of songs from this era are the 'definitive' versions? i feel like some of the more synth-hook driven numbers, like Visiting Hours and Pip As Uncle Dick But Peter Spoiled It, have the PERFECT tone and appropriate levels on the original releases... not taking away from how ridiculously tight the performances were for such old material or how wonderfully they play through as live albums... anyway, just feel like all reviews of the early material just have the reviewer so hung up on the 'demo quality' of this. if you grew up on punk / trashy stuff maybe it's a bit easier to just treat it is one of the greatest lofi gems of all time.

also, the real early cassettes are the big holes in my collection, so i've had to resort to mp3s from others, but it seems that the ones floating around are all recorded from a tape deck playing things a bit too slow. anyone notice this or was i introduced to this album on a rip too fast?

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:16

I guess this is like the situation with a US Black Metal band called VON. At the moment, there's a massive division with the fans because they've re-recorded what the lead singer feels is the definitive versions of the songs from a couple of demos they recorded in the 90's on a new album. But, some of the fans feel that the demo material is what VON were all about and anything re-recorded is false.

I guess it's subjective as to which version of the Cardiac Arrest/Cardiacs songs are best. Personally, I love the early cassettes and feel that the songs are the definitive versions, but I appreciate hearing the songs recorded with better production on the Garage CD's.
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,

hello_mr_sparrow
New fish

Postby hello_mr_sparrow » Fri Jan 04, 2013 14:49

hah, i just saw Von the other day. man, i am never this harsh but it was the absolute biggest load of crap. they kept playing these ridiculous samples between songs.. like two men having a conversation about how one of them thinks "black metal" is by black people. is that even a joke? i don't get it. it was material from that new 7" and some other unreleased new album. they only played one song from the demo that NWN released and at that point they were being booed off. the guy also cancels shows like theres no tomorrow and just spews stuff on social networking sites and forums that make me embarrased for him.

drterror666
Cardiacs Expert

Postby drterror666 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 17:18

Well, it's nice to hear someone on the Cardiacs forum with knowledge and experience of VON. The 'new' stuff is VON as imagined by Venien, the only remaining member of the original band, although even that is being debated. VON were a band of their era and no amount of dressing up the old stuff with 'atmospheric' samples is going to get me buying the 'new' album. Venien reckons he's got loads of songs lined up for a trilogy of albums that start a new chapter in the entity that is VON. I won't be getting them, that's for sure!

I don't like Venien much and his interviews don't make any sense either; he reminds me of a politician in that he says much, but means little! The collection of demo and live material that was released by NWN is really the only thing worth owning, although not for the live stuff! Venien has stated that he considers the release a bootleg now. :roll: Damn egotist!

Anyway, back to The Obvious Identity, which is timeless!
Hello little doggy,
My, you are a nice dog,