On Land And In The Sea

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Mog
Silver Cardiac

Re: On Land And In The Sea

Postby Mog » Wed Jul 01, 2009 02:36

Listening to this one for the first time in what itunes tells me is two months. My goodness. I thought I'd grown tired of it but it really sounds better than ever. Two Bites of Cherry gets me pumped for the rest of the album every time, and I'm always shocked at how short the running time of Baby Heart Dirt is. There's so much going on in there it seems like it has to be longer.

On Land was my first full Cardiacs CD and will probably always be my favorite. The only weak spot for me has been Stench of Honey. I loved it the first time I heard it, but ever since I zone out when it comes on and I lose a few minutes only to find Buds and Spawn already in progress.

Hmm... anyways.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:23

Heh, Stench is still my current fave. It's the mimicry between parts, or call and response I think the classical people might call it (?)

I remember when I'd been playing wall to wall Sing To God to my mate, indoctrinating him, and then the next time I saw him I was playing On Land and he said "Ooh! New album?" and I said "Old album!" and he was dumbfounded. He's a bass player, mind, so it doesn't take much to find him dumb. I guess he didn't spot the drum sounds.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 15:46

Will always be my fav ! You cant end an Album with such an amazing song and not be the pinnicle of a great band!

onoman
Bronze Cardiac

Postby onoman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:54

A Cardiac once told me that he thought they had 'never bettered' On Land And In The Sea. I will not be at liberty to reveal which Cardiac uttered this.

clippa
Cardiacs Expert

Postby clippa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:15

Was it sporty cardiac? I think heaven born is timmy's favourite, isn't it?
I think on land has stuck as my favourite too, it's the perfect mix of everything

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:36

Yup yup yup, On Land is my fave as well. Had a well loud blast of it yesterday morning, my sister had many hungover friends shuffling about the house, I thought they might enjoy it. Buds and Spawn is possibly the best song ever since Peaches En Regalia and I do not say that lightly.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 14:08

Couldnt agree morer guys !I cherish my torso CD . I wont play it in the car for risk of lossing it if my car got stolen. F*ck the car....wheres my CD!

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jul 03, 2009 15:18

...tipped by The Safety Bowl, it's the best by a bit, whatever the bit is, it's got a bit of everything.

Ginger's review is utterly convincing.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Re:

Postby Made Of Worms » Fri Jul 03, 2009 16:01

dogsetc. wrote:Ginger's review is utterly convincing.

:?: 'Spect I saw it but have forgot.

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Fri Jul 03, 2009 16:07

Esthers Tomcat
New fish

Postby Esthers Tomcat » Sat Aug 01, 2009 13:55

The last few days I’ve been refreshing myself with doses of Cardiacs, and OLAITS was this morning’s choice. This album was my first real introduction to them, barring the Radcliffe session, and so I think it remains my favourite record, overall. Took a few goes before the thing began to grip, as if a small crowded painting grew larger, more beautiful and much more animated. So causing my teenaged body to practically float up the walls to kiss the ceiling at certain points. Like some of you have said, there’s still so much to get out of their music, even after years and years of listening. It somehow gets better the more familiar you are with it. The further in you go, the bigger it gets.

I love the variety of sounds and instruments on the ever so closely-guarded line, creating a glory-be epic quality. For instance after the underwater funeral march part about 5 mins in, there’s that gorgeous culmination of sax & guitar with what sounds like glockenspiel ringing over the top of it all. Just marvellous!

snowman
Cardiacs Expert

Postby snowman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 19:38

I just nearly wrenched my arm out of its socket thrashing air guitar to the bit in The Duck And Roger The Horse that really, really kicks off into mad, frenetic, lloouudd mayhem. What production! One of the all-time best Tim Smith tunes *ever* :prayer:

eadric
All Spectacular

Postby eadric » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27

I've been listening to Mare's Nest over and over again recently (from OLAITS, not the other one). In some ways it's a fairly archetypal Cardiacs song. Love the skittish drumming.

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpXNkfQajk0 Always worth another watch.

When I first had OLAITS, I sort of didn't notice [Fast Robert > Mare's Nest > Stench Of Honey] properly for a while. The album starts so brilliantly, develops and goes mad so brilliantly, then there's Arnald which I didn't like and Horsehead which is just a thing. By this stage I was kind of saturated and couldn't really absorb [Fast Robert > Mare's Nest > Stench Of Honey]. Then I woke up again for [Buds > Nymphs > Everso]. Maybe I was trained to expect a dip two thirds of the way through most albums, whereas OLAITS remains unspeakably brilliant all the way through. Every time I say brilliant I'm not thinking Fast Show brilliant, I'm thinking sparkly shiny illuminating.

montoid
Cardiacs Expert

Postby montoid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:50

This is the equivalent of being beaten with a feather pillow just enough to cause the exact amount of damage as a breeze block.

perfect :D

Return to “Albums”