On Land And In The Sea

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

sneakypete
All Spectacular

Postby sneakypete » Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:25

psparky27 wrote:So what are the exact origins of "Eating in Bed" is it like nurses? Does it have a real home :(

other than being on the b side of the Is this the Life 12", you mean ?
a heathen, concievably
but not, I hope, an unenlightened one

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 21:42

sneakypete wrote:
psparky27 wrote:So what are the exact origins of "Eating in Bed" is it like nurses? Does it have a real home :(

other than being on the b side of the Is this the Life 12", you mean ?

Well yes. I mean why was it not included then but some times it was. where does it all fit in...like some of the Ships and irons stuff.... hard to tell if wrote at same time. Im sure loads of you kno wthe story ....lets sit down and begin :)

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue Jul 29, 2008 02:22

It's late, so in that brilliant "Cover the baby..." section of Fast Robert, I just thought the background vocals sounded like they were done by the yapping dogs from the theme tune of Dogtanian. So I looked it up, and it's a stretch.

Go to bed.

psparky27

Postby psparky27 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 02:29

hmmm there is something very cardiacy in that first burst in Dogtanian but its another tune... all cardiacs tunes sound the same anyway :) ha ha

funex
Cardiacs Expert

Postby funex » Mon Aug 18, 2008 16:17

The Stench Of Honey just made me do that wide-eyed slightly-open-mouth surprise/delight face. You know the one. You've all done it.

How many times have I heard this song? A hundred? Two hundred?

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Aug 18, 2008 16:48

funex wrote:The Stench Of Honey just made me do that wide-eyed slightly-open-mouth surprise/delight face. You know the one. You've all done it.

How many times have I heard this song? A hundred? Two hundred?

This weekend a friend was telling me, a great pop song is one that you can know immediately, after hearing it only once. I pointed out the pooposite is also true, a great tune is one that you can listen to a hundred times and it always stays just outside your complete understanding. e.g. case in point, nearly all Cardiacs tunes!

I didn't mean to type 'pooposite' just then but it is a typo I can live with!
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Tue Aug 19, 2008 17:37

In a wet field with The Levellers on Sunday night, after noticing the big stupid daisy under my jacket, a nice bloke told me that he'd bought OLAITS in 1989 and had never found a better record since. Flapped off the tracks as well... :)

No other daisy/shirt/Cardiacs events to report.

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 17:51

I had several Cardiacs-related interactions at Green Man which was great! One bloke (Richard - hello, if you're here) worked at the General Store and gave me a discount after I pounced on him when I saw his yellow daisy shirt from the other end of the field. I fine chap indeed with a vigorous handshake!

snowman
Cardiacs Expert

Postby snowman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 13:30

just gave this album another airing this morning. not being my favourite, it's nevertheless getting better'n'better - and, what production!

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue Feb 10, 2009 20:06

Some bloke called Meenie has just recommended this album on a forum I frequent, so I thought I'd have a listen.

As he said, Blimey.

I really really like The Stench Of Honey. I like it even more, sometimes, than yer Buds & Spawns and yer Mare's Nests. I put it on a sampler the other week and found that when it finishes, not having Buds & Spawn next is absolutely impossible.

montoid
Cardiacs Expert

Postby montoid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 14:51

Thanks for the bump.

It's the happiest album ever! isn't it. :D :D :D

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 18:45

hi worms,fancy seeing you here! :)

heroapolloman
Gold Cardiac

Re: On Land And In The Sea

Postby heroapolloman » Fri May 29, 2009 13:08

On the Torso version, what's the deal? It adds the BHD 12", but are the tracks just duplicates of the LP cuts?

Torso Version
1."Two Bites of Cherry"
2."Baby Heart Dirt"
3."The Leader of the Starry Skys"
4."I Hold My Love in My Arms" (Tim Smith, William D. Drake)
5."The Duck and Roger the Horse"
6."Arnald"
7."Horse Head"
8."Fast Robert"
9."Mare's Nest" (Tim Smith, William D. Drake)
10."The Stench of Honey"
11."Buds and Spawn"
12."The Safety Bowl"
13."The Everso Closely Guarded Line" (Tim Smith, William D. Drake)
14."ABC Chimes"* (not credited on track listing)
15."Baby Heart Dirt" *
16."I Hold My Love In My Arms" *
17."Horsehead" *
18."Safety Bowl" *
19."Tarred And Feathered" *

shiroihage
Silver Cardiac

Postby shiroihage » Fri May 29, 2009 15:32

For me, it is simply the best album ever. When I got into Cardiacs back in 1990 I bought all their stuff over a few weeks (as I tend to do with bands I like, or novelists). I still listen to it on a regular basis. It was releases 20 years ago ffs! I listened to Baby Heart Dirt the other day on headphones and still you can pick out all sorts of extra instruments and twangy noises. I think I heard a lute in there. I reckon A Little Man was a more polished production (what with the horns and the epic choruses). On Land has loads and loads going on just in three minute songs. What was Tim on at the time? Total genius.
I try to play Buds and Spawn on my naff keyboard but end up skipping bits and changing it to a somewhat mere mortal level.
Another thing that gets me is its timelessness. You know what I mean? Some albums sound of their time- early 70s prog/ 80s stuff/ Britpop/ early 90s house music. On Land doesn't age at all.
Aah...eulogy over.
Why haven't more bands done an album that you can never tire of listening to? Ooh...shall I start a new thread? How exciting!

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Fri May 29, 2009 21:20

If you're tired of "On Land..", you're tired of Paris I reckon.
Do you know what I mean to say

I meant to say to you today

A day goes by I try thats why

I try to speak to you today