Silver Cardiac

Postby bass » Sun Aug 20, 2006 09:54

Lord of the Badgers wrote:Spillers' Records in Cardiff

I love that shop, I've even got a t-shirt from there :D

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Re: A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window

Postby Mark Boyle » Fri Sep 08, 2006 22:28

Pet Lamb wrote:I love all the albums, but this holds the majority of that special place in my heart that holds all things Cardiacs... :D

Don't ask me why...I just can't pin down why specifically, but I just go a bit mad and gooey when listening to this album...I could jump for glorious joy and at the same time feel a bit weepy... :?

The first song at our wedding reception was 'The Whole World Window' as I love it so much (and no, we didn't exactly have what you would call a 'conventional' wedding, but everyone said it was the best wedding they had ever been to)... :D :D

Having just got the album today (thanks to e-Bay), I know exactly what you mean about the track "The Whole World Window", which came as a bit of a shock in comparison to everything else I've heard from them & their various offshoots up until now. It really does hit you hard.

Yes, there is melancholy in some numbers like "Stoneage Dinosaurs" and "Blind In Safety & Leafy In Love", but "The Whole World Window" goes beyond that.

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Fri Sep 08, 2006 22:39

You mean that Bigship_iron didn't bid on this one ???

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Fri Sep 08, 2006 23:40

AlphabetBusinessConcern wrote:You mean that Bigship_iron didn't bid on this one ???

OOOOHHHHH...meow... :wink:

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Sat Sep 09, 2006 14:13

Pet Lamb wrote:(quietly) **put the CDs on in the background and don't tell her who it is**

I feel driven to reiterate what a flawed plan that is :lol:.

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sat Sep 09, 2006 14:29

Made Of Worms wrote:
Pet Lamb wrote:(quietly) **put the CDs on in the background and don't tell her who it is**

I feel driven to reiterate what a flawed plan that is :lol:.

It does work sometimes...particularly where booze is concerned... :wink:

Mark Boyle
All Spectacular

Postby Mark Boyle » Sat Sep 09, 2006 14:56

AlphabetBusinessConcern wrote:You mean that Bigship_iron didn't bid on this one ???

Amazingly no!

Incidentally, I have beaten him on the one occasion we crossed swords on e-Bay, for Songs For Ships & Irons, before I found out I could have bought it straight from the manufacturers - but this lesson only cost me an extra couple of quid, not mega-bucks, so I was lucky in retrospect.

There is a way to beat his insane bids quite easily, but it requires a bit of cunning to it - obviously I'm not going to blab it out here in case he's reading this!

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Sat Sep 09, 2006 15:40

I outbid him once on a 12", for a normal price. Fair to say that he is not a last minute bidder..

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Tue Sep 12, 2006 15:04

Pet Lamb wrote:
Yup, I think Guns was either a hit or a miss with fans... :cry:

But then again...it could be someone's all-time favourite...? :D

As luck would have it, 'Guns' is my first Cardiacs album bought, I've been playing it nonstop for a couple of weeks now. Amazing how they can play and sing (!) this complicated music at all, and then to rock out on it so ferociously. Like walking into a big weird forest, at first it just looks like a forbidding lump of trees, and then slowly reveals spaces of hidden beauty.
I'm waxing lyrical, sorry.. :oops:

I got '..Ships and Irons' in the mail from Alphabet yesterday, so that's temporarily replaced 'Guns' on the laser-box. Love 'Guns' very much, though.

Carli Dogstand
All Spectacular

Postby Carli Dogstand » Tue Sep 12, 2006 15:05

You friends will never be stuck for birthday and Christmas presents ever again, Schlep!

she is blessed with the mane of a horse and wings of a bee

Stevefarcue
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Stevefarcue » Thu Sep 21, 2006 01:08

I got a question for ye learn-ed people, since its obvious there's some VERY clued up people on here.
Why oh why, are Alphabet not making any more copies of 'Whole World Window....'?

Ive seen copies go on ebay for an absolute packet, and in my darkest hours, ive even been bidding for them myself.

Id sell me Granny to get a copy of the album, so why cant they just press up some more and leave her out of this? Fans are paying over the odds and being ripped off.
Same goes for Sing to God Part 1.
I got Part 2, but they have no part one in stock, so in order to hear it id have to pay for Parts 1 AND 2.
What is the point in paying for an album i already have?

I dig the way Cardiacs albums are a trifle.....difficult.......shall we say, to get hold of, it means when you do get them its all the more sweet, but am i EVER gonna get a copy of Little Man and A House?

Id probably stand more chance of getting the new album before then, right? :wink:

Carli Dogstand
All Spectacular

Postby Carli Dogstand » Thu Sep 21, 2006 07:22

A few months ago a whole pile of STG double albums were found, so you may still be able to get a copy of that from Mary....

Moderators - would it be a bad thing to do to stick up a copy of ALMAAHATWWW as it's so long out of production?

she is blessed with the mane of a horse and wings of a bee

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Thu Sep 21, 2006 09:09

I think there's still a copyright issue with this, so i don't know if it's a good idea. But if you can get the band's permission...... :roll:

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:23

I get the feeling there will be a flurry of exciting Cardiacs activity next year WHEN the new album come out (or "bunch of albums" as Tim has said. About 10 years ago, when STG came out, they reissued everything on CD - the majority of this has sold out but looking at the silliness going on on eBay, the demand is high. Surely it would be plain foolish to ignore this demand - it's easy money for them. There's also long been talk of the Mares Nest film coming out on DVD - the release of the 2005 Astoria show would be perfect timing. I just think that we can expect some reissues soon...

This is based on nothing but wishful thinking.

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 20:05

Surely the most sensible thing to do would be to press up a load of little man... cd's and sell them individually on ebay,they'd be minted!
It might even skint out Mr/Mrs Bigshipiron who would no doubt feel the need to but all of them,therefor leaving the rest of the ebay cardiacs related world free for the rest of us average wage slaves!
(sorry i ranted a bit there didnt i)
Yeah,I have been in a couple of bidding wars with the hoarder,i won a couple but usually have to give in because of lack of money!

But to end nicely,I first discovered A little man and a house when i started going out with a girl at school and she had it,it was kinda our record(vomits)and Is this the life allways seemed to come on whenever we like got down to it(vomits a bit more) anyway er,its ace ennit!
:oops: