A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window

Postby Pet Lamb » Fri Jun 23, 2006 18:44

I love all the albums, but this holds the majority of that special place in my heart that holds all things Cardiacs... :D

Don't ask me why...I just can't pin down why specifically, but I just go a bit mad and gooey when listening to this album...I could jump for glorious joy and at the same time feel a bit weepy... :?

The first song at our wedding reception was 'The Whole World Window' as I love it so much (and no, we didn't exactly have what you would call a 'conventional' wedding, but everyone said it was the best wedding they had ever been to)... :D :D

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Sat Jun 24, 2006 13:40

The album i listened to the most is Songs for ships and irons. Guns, however is an album i don't listen to that often.

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 13:50

AlphabetBusinessConcern wrote:The album i listened to the most is Songs for ships and irons. Guns, however is an album i don't listen to that often.

Yup, I think Guns was either a hit or a miss with fans... :cry:

But then again...it could be someone's all-time favourite...? :D

Carli Dogstand
All Spectacular

Re: A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window

Postby Carli Dogstand » Wed Jul 05, 2006 22:19

Pet Lamb wrote:The first song at our wedding reception was 'The Whole World Window' as I love it so much (and no, we didn't exactly have what you would call a 'conventional' wedding, but everyone said it was the best wedding they had ever been to)... :D :D

I wanna hear aboout your wedding now Pet! I reckon there must be something that has given us an 'edge' when wedding planning! We played 'Is this the life' during our set with the band at our wedding. I for one would love to see some of your photos!

she is blessed with the mane of a horse and wings of a bee

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 13:33

Yup, I think Guns was either a hit or a miss with fans...

But then again...it could be someone's all-time favourite...?

Funny how that happens with Cardiacs stuff - it took me ages to get into Sing to God - I really wasn't sure for a while which is baffling now. Isn't it a great feeling when the penny drops though!

I love Guns - my least played 'proper' studio album is Heaven Born but I still love it...

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Fri Jul 14, 2006 14:02

CarliDogstand wrote:I reckon there must be something that has given us an 'edge' when wedding planning!
I for one would love to see some of your photos!

My hubby and I didn't have a conventional wedding basically because we are not conventional people...we were bored of going to weddings where it was obvious that other people had organised their day not the bride and groom themselves...

Our music at the Registry Office comprised:
Cockney Rebel, Cardiacs, Sea Nymphs, Spratley's Japs, The Glitter Band, Bowie, Wire, etc, etc (bit of a mixed bunch there...and I think you will be able to tell our age from that...).

Fu Manchu and myself's wedding outfits complimented each other's colour-wise (which was a little bit scary at the time, but when you think about it - it is obvious that two people on the same wavelength would pick the same colour scheme without knowing about it...?).

We went from the Registry Office to our favourite Chinese Restaurant for a lovely meal, and from there to a local pub where we had booked the back room (so we could have a quiet drink and chat, but really to watch the football results...yes, we are footy fans).

By the time we got to the Reception, it was as if the Wedding Party had known each other for years (some of them had not met each other previously)...my bridesmaid was actually my best mate Paul - which did unnerve the Registrar a little bit at the time as she hadn't come across that before...!

We provided all the music at the Reception - and made the stipulation that there was to be NO Scottish Highland Country Dance music slipped in (we may be Scottish but we detest it with a vengeance...!) :evil:

We played eg Cardiacs, Spratley's Japs, Sea Nymphs, Nina Hagen, Andy Williams, Ultravox (the original line up with John Foxx, not the line up with Midge Ure), Rezillos, too too many punk, ska and reggae bands to mention, but basically everything we liked music wise EVER...!

Our photographer was our mate Mike, who took - in our opinion - the funniest wedding photo we have ever seen (see Photo Album)...and it still makes us laugh. :D

All in all, it was a fantastic day, everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and the bride and groom were the last to leave the Reception (none of this leaving the party early rubbish...we were enjoying ourselves too much!). :D :D

Lord of the Badgers
All Spectacular

Postby Lord of the Badgers » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:43

Little Man certainly was the first record i bought by the guys (then tracked down big ship/too many ASAP) & it still has a certain aura about it for me. I remember being at my mates' house, before i could play it, just looking at this mad record sleeve of a band i knew so damn little about apart from having heard The Whole World Window on Janice Long's show one evening,and me thinking, that's so damn odd & beautiful, i want that...

then after that there seemed like this forever period before i got it on CD. that was the second excitement. it really wasn't on CD at the time & in the end, in Spillers' Records in Cardiff one day, i chanced upon it in their racks - and it had extra tracks too (the torso cd). Such ridiculous excitement.. i remember coming back to our student digs & excitedly dropping the cd under me mates' nose - he was amazed i'd found it too. Silly bugger didn't buy a copy until the Alphabet reissue.

Think it cost me £10, but it really was one of my CD must haves for so damn long it nearly killed me! That and the Chameleons' Strange Times (which was reissued on CD many years later)

Going back to the record itself tho, it has to be that amazing sequence at the start with the wonderous ending of the WWW ... a truly epic record.

One could argue that On Land is a more accomplished album (i would say that, for one) with epics like The Everso Closely Guarded Line, but it was tinged with sadness to learn that Sarah had left at that time - you kinda wanted that 6piece line up to stay together forever really. I'll admit I've hardly heard the later stuff, but me mate i mention above has all that stuff
Rob Is The Lord Of The Badgers Is Rob

my band of folky miscreants

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sat Aug 19, 2006 14:35

Lord of the Badgers wrote:I'll admit I've hardly heard the later stuff

You should listen to everything possible...some you will like...some you won't...but you are missing out on SO MUCH...! :(

Helmet
Official Bard of the Fishies

Postby Helmet » Sat Aug 19, 2006 18:24

Lord of the Badgers wrote:then after that there seemed like this forever period before i got it on CD. that was the second excitement. it really wasn't on CD at the time & in the end, in Spillers' Records in Cardiff one day, i chanced upon it in their racks - and it had extra tracks too (the torso cd).

What's the track listing on the Torso CD then?

I'll admit I've hardly heard the later stuff, but me mate i mention above has all that stuff

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
You have to listen to Sing to God Parts 1 & 2, by law :o
Music is the best...............

Helmet
Official Bard of the Fishies

Postby Helmet » Sat Aug 19, 2006 18:25

Pet Lamb wrote:I love all the albums, but this holds the majority of that special place in my heart that holds all things Cardiacs... :D

The first song at my wedding reception was:

Heartbeat by King Crimson
Music is the best...............

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sat Aug 19, 2006 19:37

Helmet wrote:
Pet Lamb wrote:I love all the albums, but this holds the majority of that special place in my heart that holds all things Cardiacs... :D

The first song at my wedding reception was:

Heartbeat by King Crimson

Aha Helmet....you have just given me an idea for another thread... :wink:

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Sat Aug 19, 2006 20:59

Helmet wrote:
Lord of the Badgers wrote:then after that there seemed like this forever period before i got it on CD. that was the second excitement. it really wasn't on CD at the time & in the end, in Spillers' Records in Cardiff one day, i chanced upon it in their racks - and it had extra tracks too (the torso cd).

What's the track listing on the Torso CD then?

Same as the LP version but with Goosegash, Loosefish Scapegrace, I'm Eating In Bed, Too Many Irons In The Fire and All Spectacular on the end.

Lord of the Badgers
All Spectacular

Postby Lord of the Badgers » Sat Aug 19, 2006 22:08

Helmet wrote:You have to listen to Sing to God Parts 1 & 2, by law :o

Good lord, what an excitable response!! :)

I will I will I will

(sounds like Mrs Doyle). I'll borrow from me chum, but i'll have to listen in private, the other half hates Cardiacs unfortunately - she loves her goff music :)

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Sun Aug 20, 2006 00:25

Lord of the Badgers wrote:but i'll have to listen in private, the other half hates Cardiacs unfortunately - she loves her goff music :)

(quietly) **put the CDs on in the background and don't tell her who it is**

Lord of the Badgers
All Spectacular

Postby Lord of the Badgers » Sun Aug 20, 2006 00:42

she'd know mate.. she'd know.