Underated tracks

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

shiroihage
Silver Cardiac

Re: Underated tracks

Postby shiroihage » Wed Dec 01, 2010 03:01

Victory Egg is all about WW1 ain't it?
I have studied and taught a lot about that war.
"Accidents of existence will make us all feel duty bound" is a splendid line.

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 21:18

shiroihage wrote:Victory Egg is all about WW1 ain't it?

Yes it is, especially when the rhythm of the phrasing puts the accent on the second syllable of "existence," which makes a killer pararhyme with "accidents."

Anyone have any idea of Tim's literary tastes? He definitely seems obsessed with WW1, alluding to it in not just a few songs ("Stoneage Dinosaurs," "Arnald," "The Duck and Roger the Horse," "Come Back Clammy Lammy" are only the references that come to me immediately), so I'm wondering if he ever read Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. In it is the most gut-wrenching scenario of the consequences for a commander during trench warfare in perhaps all of literature.

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Pheeel
All Spectacular

Postby Pheeel » Sun Dec 05, 2010 22:59

Snardbafulator wrote:

Yes it is, especially when the rhythm of the phrasing puts the accent on the second syllable of "existence," which makes a killer pararhyme with "accidents."

Anyone have any idea of Tim's literary tastes? He definitely seems obsessed with WW1, alluding to it in not just a few songs ("Stoneage Dinosaurs," "Arnald," "The Duck and Roger the Horse," "Come Back Clammy Lammy" are only the references that come to me immediately), so I'm wondering if he ever read Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. In it is the most gut-wrenching scenario of the consequences for a commander during trench warfare in perhaps all of literature.

Bob

I think we can assume he likes poets of the Golden Treasury variety such as Charles Kingsley, and also has a recurring pre-occupation with Moby Dick, quoted in numerous songs. There was also a lot of Kafka in that song "Dergo" from the Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake album.
Some consider childish dreams a matter of necessity

shiroihage
Silver Cardiac

Postby shiroihage » Mon Dec 06, 2010 02:59

Re: WW1 literature

Pat Barker's "Regeneration" trilogy is some of the best lit ever, litfans!

psparky27

Re:

Postby psparky27 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 14:17

Ady wrote:whoah there to much info! :lol: saying that i would get the fear if that happened to me..

Yes not nice. I remember pissing blood once and that was the quickest you have ever seen me up in A & E :) and I have been up there many times trust me !

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 21:04

Snardbafulator wrote:

Bob

Thomas Pynchon is one mighty fine author, i have to seriously warm myself up to tackle his stuff though.....bieng an idiot and all!

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 21:04

Snardbafulator wrote:

Bob

Thomas Pynchon is one mighty fine author, i have to seriously warm myself up to tackle his stuff though.....bieng an idiot and all!

Snardbafulator
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Snardbafulator » Wed Dec 08, 2010 20:43

meenie> Thomas Pynchon is one mighty fine author, i have to seriously warm myself up to tackle his stuff though.....bieng an idiot and all!

Don't feel singled out; Thomas Pynchon makes his biggest fans feel like idiots much of the time.

But if you have an interest in or affinity for Southern California beach culture circa 1970, you might find his recent book, Inherent Vice, kind of *cough* fun to read.

Seriously. He's slumming. It's a detective novel. You could almost make it into a movie :8:

Bob
Deconstructing conventional wisdom since the birth of punk

Meenie
A Dead Pest

Postby Meenie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 19:44

Snardbafulator wrote:meenie> Thomas Pynchon is one mighty fine author, i have to seriously warm myself up to tackle his stuff though.....bieng an idiot and all!

Don't feel singled out; Thomas Pynchon makes his biggest fans feel like idiots much of the time.

But if you have an interest in or affinity for Southern California beach culture circa 1970, you might find his recent book, Inherent Vice, kind of *cough* fun to read.

Seriously. He's slumming. It's a detective novel. You could almost make it into a movie :8:

Bob

SOLD!!

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 17:27

Revisitng this, but I can't see that I ever answered the question.

1. Wooden Ship on Wheels
2. Goodbye Grace
3. All his geese are swans
4. Hymn
5. Piffol Three Times

maybe...

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 19:48

i made a remark in passing a while ago in this thread about the bsides being underrated and maybe they should release them as a stand alone album.they wouldnt be the first band to do it and in these times they should seriously consider it.
im sure theres a lot of people who dont have the likes of what paradise is like,plankton,gen etc and more who havnt even heard them.it could be called THE C-SIDE[s] :)
somebody in the know should start the ball rolling.its crazy the amount of stuff awaiting release when you think of it,lsd,maresnest,astoria 05,garage rehersals,back catalogue,i just hope the tribute and itunes are doing the business to help tim and help fund the rest.i know tims health is foremost in everyones mind but surely his quality of life would improve immeasurably with the availibility of these
im not going to say anymore after this...except for..

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 20:50

bellyeyed wrote:THE C-SIDE[s] :)

Innit :)

There's this thread Ships and Irons 2.
I've got a couple of folders on my hard-drive, put together by folks on here (i've not dredged the Pond); one accompanied by a frankly ropey metallic artwork, and one with an underwatery view with a montaged Tim's head on a submarine.

I've listened to them quite a lot lately, and they're definitely A Very Good Thing and an unsettling variety.

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 21:14

wow hadnt seen that somehow,god it all sounded so exciting and here we are years later,still at least it was in the works.im off to have a good cry at the unfairness of it all

Stoneage Dinosaurs
"Jim parades a toy"

Postby Stoneage Dinosaurs » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:33

Bellyeyed, would you like me to list the tracks on my Hidden cd-r again,mentioned in the Ships & Irons 2 thread? And if there is interest (and this is connected to the swap thread) I could burn off some copies for people in exchange for something else.

When I made it it included many, many B sides & other stuff that was then hard to find.
The 3 b sides from Day Is Gone, the b sides from the 3 STG singles just for starters.

bellyeyed
Gold Cardiac

Postby bellyeyed » Thu Jan 27, 2011 17:02

hi stoneage,ya i would absolutely be interested