Is This the Life

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

schlep
Cardiacsy

Is This the Life

Postby schlep » Sun Apr 29, 2007 16:27

The first non-bird song I heard this morning, thanks to Gehennathehorse's latest YouTube offering :D

Some people have said hereabouts that for a Cardiacs tune it's too ordinary sounding, 4 beats to a measure, Simple Minds-like, done to death etc.
I think it's proof that Tim Smith couldn't write a boring, ordinary song if he tried - the way the words and melody are grafted on is very bloody-minded intentional and weird, if you try singing it yourself, Syd Barrett comes to mind.
And the words are interesting, not sad, exactly - 'a life that's never in'.

Is This the Life HOORAY I say, not a question!
Do you know what I mean to say
I meant to say to you today
A day goes by I try thats why
I try to speak to you today

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Sun Apr 29, 2007 16:30

ya i'm one of those who doesn't like it as much as other songs-just don't see it as one of their greatest songs.-at least i'm owning up!
when i've dj'ed in the past i put this one on-then later on i might play something a bit more in yer face!

steve adams
big dogs knob

Postby steve adams » Sun Apr 29, 2007 16:36

get well soon tim smith !!!

Bispy
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Bispy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 17:00

Amen. It's a stone cold classic. Probably my favourite Cardiacs moment, especially when taken together with the heartbreakingly beautiful video. My wife doesn't like Cardiacs but she loves (LOVES) the Is This The Life promo vid.

It's a great song in its own right but that promo is amazing. Bill's creepy accountant, Tim's naughty schoolboy, Jim's miserable little face and Dom straining every atom of his body. And....Sarah. :D
The more NOW you are, the more THEN you'll be.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sun Apr 29, 2007 17:22

Bispy wrote:Amen. It's a stone cold classic. Probably my favourite Cardiacs moment, especially when taken together with the heartbreakingly beautiful video. My wife doesn't like Cardiacs but she loves (LOVES) the Is This The Life promo vid.

It's a great song in its own right but that promo is amazing. Bill's creepy accountant, Tim's naughty schoolboy, Jim's miserable little face and Dom straining every atom of his body. And....Sarah. :D

You're talking of the other promo, the band in the woods at night, wind effects, and when Sarah blows her sax a big ugly shark skitters away, that one?
It nicely captures the Strife Is Life feeling of the song. This new promo has a very cheerful Tim singing.

Bispy
Diamond Cardiac

Postby Bispy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 18:04

Yeah, I haven't seen the new one yet. I'm on dial-up so it takes a while to load. I was just talking about the song in general and the official promo in particular.

I love the track and its relative normalcy within Cardiacs catalogue does nothing to diminish my enjoyment. I never get tired of it.
The more NOW you are, the more THEN you'll be.

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Sun Apr 29, 2007 19:56

It's a fantastic song! I may not listen to it as much as some others, but it still holds a very special place in my heart as it was the first Cardiacs song I ever heard! Hooray! Live it's brilliant as well.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Sun Apr 29, 2007 21:02

Live, it seems to be a good opportunity for Tim and co. to just blast away for a few!
I hope I'm in the pond next time that happens.

Batesy
"Dirty Boy Batesy"

Postby Batesy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:47

Gubbins wrote:It's a fantastic song! I may not listen to it as much as some others, but it still holds a very special place in my heart as it was the first Cardiacs song I ever heard! Hooray! Live it's brilliant as well.

I'll happily echo you on each of those points.. :D

It's funny, when I first heard it it blew me to bits because it was so different to anything else I'd ever heard. I think it's easy for the initiated such as us lot here to think it fairly 'normal' because we know what else they can conjure but really, it's a pretty special tune I reckon.

Ady, try wacking it up as loud as you can and singing your head off to it! :D

Schlep wrote:I hope I'm in the pond next time that happens.

You going to try and get over for the next one then?

Ady
cardiacs folky

Postby Ady » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:04

i think some people aint hearing me right-i like the tune-i just don't think its their best -i can see the anthem thing and i do enjoy playing it loud(saying that i play alot of their stuff loud!)
last year i was more thrilled that they did day is gone-that for me is in a way what i call their "anthem"

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 13:23

Batesy wrote:
Schlep wrote:I hope I'm in the pond next time that happens.

You going to try and get over for the next one then?

It's iffy, if there's a show as soon as this summer, but after that, I should have the rowboat all ready for the transatlantic crossing!

Ian E
Gold Cardiac

Postby Ian E » Mon Apr 30, 2007 15:25

I like the tune, but it's quite "normal" by Cardiacs standards. When I tried to get my friends to come to Cardiacs gigs with me, it was usually the one song I'd play to them that they'd quite like. I think it's a great tune, but it's not the reason that I really love Cardiacs.
When there are legitimate concerns to be addressed and goodwill involved, a personal and direct conversation rarely fails to find solutions. Robert Fripp

Gubbins
Jive mutha

Postby Gubbins » Tue May 01, 2007 00:03

Ady wrote:last year i was more thrilled that they did day is gone-that for me is in a way what i call their "anthem"

I never rated that song AS much as others until live last year... It was breathtaking. The lights and the smoke and the chorus... Wow.

schlep
Cardiacsy

Postby schlep » Tue May 01, 2007 04:11

The rhythm is weird in that tune (Day Is Gone) - brilliance, every time the cymbals crash in the verses.