Guns

Moderator: The Alternate Consultant

Pet Lamb
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Pet Lamb » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:40

garland wrote:Urgh. Are ye just gonnae no dae that?

Dae whit...? :wink:

Greyhound
Cardiacs Expert

Postby Greyhound » Wed Apr 04, 2007 13:40

Will Bleed Amen wrote:No prizes for guessing what my favourite track from Guns is. I love the way it goes all dreamy for the choruses before screaming ahead full steam again.

Welcome WBA. This one is my favourite too. I especially like the way on the second chorus is goes up a key, altogether now....

"Choke the tic as it grows
Catchy lays of its eggs in her turfy thrill
And lost them on her lawn
Wishing could brush them all aside
But still"

cryptic magic!

perdothegit
New fish

Postby perdothegit » Sun Apr 29, 2007 04:29

I finally got Guns about two months and if it's not my favorite it's close.

Aside from the great songs it's my favorite sounding Cardiacs album. For instance, I love the songs on Heaven Born but every time I hear it the drum sound drives me nuts. The bass drum just sounds like a click and the reverb on the snare is horrible (I still love it though). On Guns the production seems much more appropriate.

Granted I've only gotten into the band over the past 4 years or so (hey you try to stumble upon Cardiacs in Texas) but why were longtime fans so disappointed in Guns?

Alternate BC
Maresnest Admin

Postby Alternate BC » Sun Apr 29, 2007 08:51

Granted I've only gotten into the band over the past 4 years or so (hey you try to stumble upon Cardiacs in Texas) but why were longtime fans so disappointed in Guns?

Difficult to say really, it's my least favourite album. But why ? For some reason i'm not getting into the music as i do with the older albums. Maybe i should give it yet another chance.

JP
Gold Cardiac

Postby JP » Tue May 01, 2007 09:36

Alternate BC wrote:

Difficult to say really, it's my least favourite album. But why ? For some reason i'm not getting into the music as i do with the older albums. Maybe i should give it yet another chance.

Just play it repeatedly until you like it. I did and I'm a much happier person now. :wink:

Chinners
Flower shop girl that sells tat

Postby Chinners » Tue May 01, 2007 10:57

Guns is a great album in my book . . . it explores new avenues etc
I saw a cluster of DOGS

Ian E
Gold Cardiac

Postby Ian E » Tue May 01, 2007 11:16

From what I've heard, there are a lot of other songs in existence from the same sessions as Guns, but Tim wanted to make an album with a particular theme. Future Cardiacs albums are bound to be different again... I'm sure there are loads of unreleased songs, which will crop up on future albums too.
When there are legitimate concerns to be addressed and goodwill involved, a personal and direct conversation rarely fails to find solutions. Robert Fripp

Made Of Worms
Sea Nympho

Postby Made Of Worms » Tue May 01, 2007 12:02

Greyhound wrote:"Choke the tic as it grows
Catchy lays of its eggs in her turfy thrill
And lost them on her lawn
Wishing could brush them all aside
But still"

cryptic magic!

Contraception I tell 'ee! :lol:

dogsetc.

Postby dogsetc. » Tue May 01, 2007 12:56

Ian E wrote:From what I've heard, there are a lot of other songs in existence from the same sessions as Guns, but Tim wanted to make an album with a particular theme.

It's an interesting thought that all the songs on Guns are actually about 'guns'.
That word looks really odd now -- guns... :? snug, sung, gnus...

Scourage
Silver Cardiac

Postby Scourage » Wed May 09, 2007 02:52

history WILL judge this record alongside StG as the best Cardiacs, of that I'm sure. i'll say it again: the first five tracks of this album are as good an opening five tracks as any album has ever had, and the rest is pretty phenomenal too.

my favourite might well be 'spell with a shell' now, though. the chorus is like a hit of pure unfiltered joy, every single time. every single goddamn time.

whippersnapper
ABC graphic designer

Postby whippersnapper » Wed May 09, 2007 09:33

Scourage wrote:my favourite might well be 'spell with a shell' now, though. the chorus is like a hit of pure unfiltered joy, every single time. every single goddamn time.

I'm with you Scourage. Spell with a shell has a bit of a spooky feeling to it...it always give me goosebumps. I imagine it would be a nice soundtrack for a horror movie somehow.

I'm also a big fan of the track There's good cud...